• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Discussion

BullCityWx

It looks like the models are trending towards more realistic snow totals for NC. I never fully believed the widespread 6+ inches across the western 2/3's of the state. I also still don't believe most of Atlanta will get much....the northern metro counties have a decent chance though(North Fulton, Forsyth, Cobb, Cherokee).

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having a hard time seeing AVL seeing as little snow as GSP is forecasting.

I agree.  The 20Z RAP really shows the deformation zone building up over the next hour or two and then slowly drifting east through the evening.  With snow falling in neighboring counties already, and rain drop sizes increasing here, it won't be much longer before we go to all snow.

That being said, I am lowering my original forecast of 5-8" down to 3-5" for Asheville, only because QPF looks to be lower.  But, if we get under an intense band, with thunder, as the RAP suggests, all bets are off.

Guy over at Talkweather in Helfin, AL reporting light-moderate snow.

Come on band hold together and bless us ATL folk!! 41o here

Lol, we want the cold so bad, even though it eats the goodies it brings us.  My dp is dropping so I expect I'm drying out while I wait for the snow exterminators along the border to kick in.  Big winds blowing though.  Just heard a tree go.  Just love the general weatherosity of this kind of occurance :)   T

GSP just sent out a update regarding the storm. I'm in Charlotte and feel much better than I did about 2 hrs ago after reading it. Looks like we will erase our 2 yr streak (not counting the Trace reports of course). 

Winter Storm Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC352 PM EST THU JAN 17 2013...HEAVY SNOW EXPECTED OVER MUCH OF WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA THROUGHTHE EVENING....LOW PRESSURE WILL TRACK ACROSS THE SOUTH CAROLINA MIDLANDSTO THE COAST BY EVENING. COLD AIR WILL CONTINUE FILTERING INTONORTH CAROLINA MOUNTAINS...CHANGING THE RAIN TO SNOW. THE COLD AIRWILL THEN SPREAD EAST ACROSS THE FOOTHILLS AND PIEDMONT. THIS ISEXPECTED TO RESULT IN A TRANSITION TO SNOW OUTSIDE OF THEMOUNTAINS BY EARLY EVENING. HEAVY ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW AREEXPECTED ACROSS MUCH OF THE WESTERN THIRD OF NORTH CAROLINA.MEANWHILE...LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED IN THE VALLEYS OFSOUTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA...THE NORTHEAST GEORGIA AND SOUTHCAROLINA MOUNTAINS...AS WELL AS PORTIONS OF THE SOUTH CAROLINAPIEDMONT.NCZ035>037-056-057-068>072-508-510-180500-/O.CON.KGSP.WS.W.0001.130117T2300Z-130118T1100Z/ALEXANDER-IREDELL-DAVIE-CATAWBA-ROWAN-CLEVELAND-LINCOLN-GASTON-MECKLENBURG-CABARRUS-GREATER RUTHERFORD-EASTERN POLK-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...STATESVILLE...MOCKSVILLE...HICKORY...SALISBURY...SHELBY...LINCOLNTON...GASTONIA...CHARLOTTE...CONCORD352 PM EST THU JAN 17 2013...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST FRIDAY...* LOCATIONS...THE WESTERN PIEDMONT AND PARTS OF THE FOOTHILLS OF  NORTH CAROLINA.* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.* TIMING...RAIN CHANGING TO SNOW BY EARLY EVENING. SNOW WILL  BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES IN THE EVENING...AND MAY BRIEFLY CHANGE  TO FREEZING RAIN BEFORE ENDING SHORTLY AFTER MIDNIGHT.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES...ALONG WITH  AROUND A TRACE OF ICE. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS OF SNOW WILL  DEVELOP IN CONVECTIVE HEAVY SNOW BANDS.* IMPACTS...HEAVY WET SNOW AS WELL AS GUSTY WINDS WILL CAUSE SOME  TREES TO FALL AND PULL DOWN POWER LINES. TRAVEL PROBLEMS AND  REDUCED VISIBILITY ARE ALSO EXPECTED. GUSTY WINDS WILL RESULT IN  CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. BLACK ICE IS ALSO  LIKELY.* TEMPERATURES...FALLING INTO THE MID TO UPPER 20S.* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

500 mb ULL has weakened to a single contour now.  Still looks to be oriented neutrally.

850s are crashing below freezing in NW NC now.  Finally making in-roads.  Let's see some chaneover!

Looks like RAP had the same thing, although what is verified appears just a hair south of where the RAP has it.

How often does that model update?  Hourly, like the RAP?  The RAP seems to set that band up more northward, if I'm looking at it correctly.

Should be hourly, but for some reason, it doesn't appear to have updated since 14z (didn't realize that until I posted)...but looking at the RAP, it looks similar to me with the simulated radar...in W NC anyway

Well the HRRR and RAP does but for some reason the HRRR site I use hasn't been updating, maybe they turned it off to focus on the RAP, I think the RAP is better IMO.

Thanks guys. You nailed the reason for my question. It hasn't updated since 14Z. Thought I was doing something wrong. I like the deform band on it better than the RAP, but that's because it's farther south.

I agree.  The 20Z RAP really shows the deformation zone building up over the next hour or two and then slowly drifting east through the evening.  With snow falling in neighboring counties already, and rain drop sizes increasing here, it won't be much longer before we go to all snow.

That being said, I am lowering my original forecast of 5-8" down to 3-5" for Asheville, only because QPF looks to be lower.  But, if we get under an intense band, with thunder, as the RAP suggests, all bets are off.

looks like 4-7 is a good possiblity for AVL if we get the thunder snow and the deformation zone comes over head.

I know I'm not supposed to talk about the RAP anymore, but the last couple runs have shown a clear trend of weakening the 500mb low earlier. Remember late this morning it survived all the way until 4z Friday AM/Thursday night. Well, the fresh 21z run has it opening up at 1z Friday -- three hours earlier. Frankly, I don't see an impact on the sensible weather the run depicts (temps or precip) from this change, but I thought it was worth noting.

I just watched WBTV and WCNC and both their stormcast look the same..bleek. Jeff Crum just tweeted that NEWS14 stormcast totals were down.

Yep, the 18z run of the RPM was flat-out ugly for snow fans. I put up a little blurb about it on FB and twitter earlier. We will see. Taken a face value, it prints out basically no accumulation for HKY and CLT and only 1-2 for GSO. The reason? Much slower changeover. 

It's NOWCAST time, but that is definitely something to consider.

Archived