• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Discussion

BullCityWx

The 12Z NAM appears to have gone further north...the 700 low tracks right over ATL.

Yeah, we should have expected a northern trend...it happens just about every time. Being on the edge is sometimes a good or bad thing...in this case for us, a bad thing. Since our chances are incredibly low, I'd hope some people can tell us their experience with the intense snow rates later this evening and tonight. I've seen 2-3 inch per hour rates in Jan 2011 and March 2009 here in Atlanta and it can get real fun.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be consistent with NWS saying Danville, VA through the Triad would be a good spot. I am debating a trip from Carrboro to GSO.

Might as well.... I'm going home early for the weekend, meaning I'll be in Chapel Hill about a mile north of 40.

Hopefully the last-minute north trend halts before too long.

the snow totals of the nam look way under done over NC.   It shows 0.75 or better after it gets cold enough to snow. that's not counting banding, convection, etc.

Are you gonna head up to the n GA mtns? I would think with the 700 low going just to the south of there they should see a few hours of heavy snow.

Not that it means much, but RAH updated point forecasts overnight and now has 3-5" for the Triad, including "Heavy Snow" as our forecast for tonight.

A Winter Storm Warning is up, too!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC356 AM EST THU JAN 17 2013...A RAPID CHANGE TO WINTRY WEATHER EXPECTED THIS EVENING THROUGHTHE OVERNIGHT....A POWERFUL UPPER LEVEL STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE ACROSS CENTRALNORTH CAROLINA TONIGHT. RAIN IS EXPECTED TO CHANGE QUICKLY TOSNOW THIS EVENING AS THE UPPER LOW AND COLD AIR MOVE OVERHEAD.NCZ007>011-021>026-038>041-073-172100-/O.UPG.KRAH.WS.A.0001.130117T2300Z-130118T0900Z//O.NEW.KRAH.WS.W.0001.130117T2300Z-130118T0900Z/PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-HALIFAX-FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-ORANGE-DURHAM-FRANKLIN-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-CHATHAM-WAKE-STANLY-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROXBORO...OXFORD...HENDERSON...WARRENTON...ROANOKE RAPIDS...WINSTON-SALEM...GREENSBORO...HIGH POINT...BURLINGTON...CHAPEL HILL...DURHAM...LOUISBURG...LEXINGTON...ASHEBORO...PITTSBORO...RALEIGH...ALBEMARLE356 AM EST THU JAN 17 2013...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AMEST FRIDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORMWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM ESTFRIDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* LOCATIONS...A LARGE PART OF THE PIEDMONT AND THE NORTHERN  COASTAL PLAIN INCLUDING THE TRIAD...THE TRIANGLE AND ROCKY MOUNT* HAZARD TYPES...RAIN WILL QUICKLY CHANGE OVER TO HEAVY WET SNOW  THIS EVENING. THIS TRANSITION WILL OCCUR WEST-TO-EAST ACROSS THE  WARNING AREA.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES ARE EXPECTED* TIMING...THE CHANGEOVER IS EXPECTED IN THE TRIAD REGION EARLY  THIS EVENING...REACHING THE TRIANGLE AREA BY MID TO LATE  EVENING. THE SNOW WILL DIMINISH WEST TO EAST AFTER 1 AM...ENDING  IN THE EAST BY 4 AM.* IMPACTS...SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR WILL QUICKLY  LEAD TO AN ACCUMULATION ON GRASSY SURFACES. DUE TO THE WARM  PAVEMENT AND THE RAIN EXPECTED PRIOR TO CHANGEOVER...MOST ROADS  WILL INITIALLY REMAIN WET BUT MAY BECOME VERY SLUSHY...ESPECIALLY  WHERE THE HEAVIER SNOWFALL RATES OCCUR. TEMPERATURES NEAR OR  SLIGHTLY BELOW FREEZING BY EARLY FRIDAY MORNING WILL LEAD TO  ROADS QUICKLY BECOMING SLICK AND HAZARDOUS....ESPECIALLY WEST OF  THE TRIANGLE. TRAVEL WILL REMAIN DANGEROUS THROUGH MOST OF  FRIDAY MORNING.* WINDS...NORTHEAST WINDS WILL GUSTS BETWEEN 25 AND 30 MPH TONIGHT.* TEMPERATURES...TEMPERATURES IN THE 40S TO THE LOWER 50S TODAY  WILL QUICKLY FALL INTO THE 30S THIS EVENING...AND TO NEAR OR  SLIGHTLY BELOW FREEZING BY FRIDAY MORNING.* VISIBILITIES...VISIBILITIES MAY BE REDUCED TO LESS THAN A HALF  MILE IN SNOW AND FOG.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS AREEXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THATWILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOUMUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD...AND WATER IN YOURVEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.&&$$

Are you gonna head up to the n GA mtns? I would think with the 700 low going just to the south of there they should see a few hours of heavy snow.

Nah...not  worth it. One, I'm having bad back problems (just got cortisone shots in my back yesterday) so I don't think I'd be able to stand the drive.....and besides my truck is in the shop and I'm having to borrow my moms car. She's so protective of the damn thing, she'd kill me going to the mountains and dealing with snow LOL

the snow totals of the nam look way under done over NC.   It shows 0.75 or better after it gets cold enough to snow. that's not counting banding, convection, etc.

What I dont get is the NAM shows 3" for Boone and 9" for Greensboro area, blows my mind that the NAM is showing such low amounts along the spine of the mtns.  Any thoughts?

I'm thinking you could be right.  The RAP is also showing a blob of 40dzb returns basically following I-40 that marches from Asheville to the Triangle.  Also shows .25+ precip totals each HOUR in those spots.  I'll take three hours of that please!

It does seem the Wake/Franklin line on US1 is a good spot to be.

I know it doesn't mean much, but the NAM snow map has consistently had a tongue of higher totals right over NE Wake county/Western Franklin county.

I think northern Wake and all of Franklin county will end up in a better spot under the deform band than other areas in the Triangle...say Cary/Raleigh...etc. But in the end who knows. I'm hoping for a couple hours of heavy wet white grapefruits falling form the sky.

But, from everything I've read we're probably looking at 5:1 ratios. Still great, but I would think 5" will be the top snow totals coming out of this storm.

I think it is interesting that the 12Z NAM is trending a bit drier over NC mountains, and wetter over central NC.  Just 24 hours ago, the total QPF for Asheville was over 3".  Today it is about half that.  Meanwhile, amounts have nearly doubled over RDU.  Fascinating.

Here are some of my guesses based on the latest available data.  I am totally ignoring both the GFS and NAM snowfall charts as I think they do not capture the deformation zone (or thundersnow) at all.

CLT: 2-5"

AVL: 5-8"

MWK: 5-9"

INT: 6-9"

But, from everything I've read we're probably looking at 5:1 ratios. Still great, but I would think 5" will be the top snow totals coming out of this storm.

I don't think that one can say that it's going to be a 5:1 ratio and leave it at that.  The dynamics and cold core of this vigorous system will be moving from west to east and that 5:1 rate or whatever will be changing based on the dynamic cooling through the column.  Too many variables like lift, thundersnow, upper air temps to broadstroke this.  The same thing goes for the big blob of snow accumulation that the NAM and GFS has been throwing out.  There will be much more variability from location to location with the final tally.  Just look at all of the NWS studies posted of earlier storms to get a more accurate representation of what can happen with this storm.  Thats why the higher resolution short-term models are the way to go now.  And watching the radar of course.

I know it doesn't mean much, but the NAM snow map has consistently had a tongue of higher totals right over NE Wake county/Western Franklin county.

I think northern Wake and all of Franklin county will end up in a better spot under the deform band than other areas in the Triangle...say Cary/Raleigh...etc. But in the end who knows. I'm hoping for a couple hours of heavy wet white grapefruits falling form the sky.

I think you are right. I plan to make a drive up your way into Va. tonight.

5:1 ratios may be the rule at the start, but I truly doubt it will stay at such poor ratios for the whole shebang.  Also, though I am far from an expert on the subject of snowfall ratios, the farther north and west you are from the changeover line, the better ratios will probably be, I would think (correct me if I'm wrong).

I believe the average in my area (the Triad) is 8:1 overall, for reference.\

Sounds like Tuscaloosa, AL has changed over to snow, by the way.

Good morning everyone! If I were going to update my map, I would take atl out of any accumulations, and reduce the amounts over NGA down to a T-1". In AL, I would say we are still looking at the same amounts, T-2". I would pull back the amounts around CAE in SC though, only a T-1". Everywhere else looks like it should be ok on my map for now. I hope everyone gets to see a few flakes. Heck we can't get any rain out of this. Lol. -Chris.

Am I the only one with concerns of the precip drying up in Mississippi right now. It looks to be well north. It has me worried for the Asheville area? Thoughts?

Lots of panic beginning on the board this morning.  Stay patient folks.  Check out the lates 12Z hi-res NAM simulated radar.  The heavy stuff is still about 6+ hours away.  You'll notice a few of the initial frames show low amounts of precip in AL this morning.  This was to be expected.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/nam4km/12zNAM4kmreflectivity_SE.html

Good morning everyone! If I were going to update my map, I would take atl out of any accumulations, and reduce the amounts over NGA down to a T-1". In AL, I would say we are still looking at the same amounts, T-2". I would pull back the amounts around CAE in SC though, only a T-1". Everywhere else looks like it should be ok on my map for now. I hope everyone gets to see a few flakes. Heck we can't get any rain out of this. Lol. -Chris.

Funny - I just posted this elsewhere:

"With a very slight jog north in the projected path, I'm starting to think 1"-3" will be limited to Spartanburg (really NE SPTG county) and Cherokee counties north of I-85, with the northern highlands of GVL, OCN and PIK counties still getting a decent event."

Funny - I just posted this elsewhere:

"With a very slight jog north in the projected path, I'm starting to think 1"-3" will be limited to Spartanburg (really NE SPTG county) and Cherokee counties north of I-85, with the northern highlands of GVL, OCN and PIK counties still getting a decent event."

Great minds think alike? Lol

Am I the only one with concerns of the precip drying up in Mississippi right now. It looks to be well north. It has me worried for the Asheville area? Thoughts?

Don't focus on the current radar trends in Mississippi.  The storm is still developing / evolving, and the best dynamics and lift will occur over the mountains this afternoon and this evening.  As far as I can tell, everything is still on track for 5-8" of snow in the AVL area.  

Archived