• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Discussion

BullCityWx

MRX has temps much warmer for today with much more of the heavy precip falling as rain outside the mountains. It's got that feel of a last second East TN rug yanking.

You still get snow in East TN from the 06Z NAM. Look on the bright side, the RAP will be much better now than the NAM or GFS.

If you want to verify the NAM, look at the composite reflectivity and compare it to the current radars. If the current radars are much stronger, then the NAM isn't initializing it correctly to begin with.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MRX has temps much warmer for today with much more of the heavy precip falling as rain outside the mountains. It's got that feel of a last second East TN rug yanking.

Happens around here all of the time, i would not be the least bit suprised

As Miles Davis would say, "So what?"

You get model run after model run looking better and better, then you get one run and MRX being conservative and you get all Debbie Downer.

Some random thoughts for those in the NC NW Foothills and and Western Piedmont region of NC. We could either big the big losers on this one with the snow around us on all sides or the big winner with the enhanced moisture if that's possible with the upper air features due to upslope.  On most model runs in the last 24hrs. I'm starting to see each on with what looks like an dry slot or it might even be a semi- downslope event. I don't know if it is due to what HKY has pointed out with a phase with the northern stream. But, I also see on the 700mb RAP that the moisture is pointed  right @ us to enhance the rates with a upslope event. 

Have fun, stay safe and as Robert has stated prepare as if you will have no power. I have seen snowfall rates like this only a couple of times in my life time. The one that sticks out to me was in the mid to late 90's while @ ASU. I think Robert or anyone who was around that area would agree it looked like 3x5 index card falling from the sky( maybe not quite that size but the flakes were huge).

Hey, CMan!  How are you expecting to do down there?  What are you telling the folks?  Tony

Edit:  Just looks like the train isn't cemented on the track, comparing runs.  And from the loop it still looks to spread out down this way too.

Heh... That's a very good question! The snow out in MS certainly has my attention. We'll have to see how far east the snow makes it before it starts turning northeast. As of now, I'm going with a cold rain (MAYBE a flurry mixed in), if any..., for Columbus and points south. A rain/snow mix with no accumulations between Columbus and Auburn over to Talbotton. There's a chance we'll see accumulating snow, a dusting to less than half inch, depending on rates, near La Grange and Roanoke over to Woodbury. North and west of Roanoke stand the best chance of seeing accumulations. Atlanta could see a dusting, but if this thing makes it more east before turning northeast, they could see more. There will be a few surprises and this basically becomes a "lookout the window" forecast and watch for the turn northeast. I'm not expecting it to start here for another 10-12 hours... So, we'll see...

Helicity showing up under that strong Def. band and strong UVV's tomorrow night in upstate to southern and central NC.  It shows up last few frames. The thunder is going to roar.

attachicon.gifhelicitysnow.gif

Winter storm warnings are up for the Piedmont of NC. This one sounds a little dangerous if Robert is correct (which I believe he is)

I have live in ETn for almost 13 years, and every year we get the screw job.  My  hubby keeps saying he won't believe it til it's laying on the ground.  I knew the folks in MRX would bring totals down.  Just like I know we are going to miss out once again.  You'd think we live in Florida or something.  Ah, well.....maybe for the next one.

Looking at RAP it has CLT going to snow by hour 18 just as the really heavy stuff is moving in bound. Got a real good feeling about this one.

I agree.  The RAP is spitting out over .25 inches of precip around our areas at hour 17 and 18.  It won't take but about 3 hours of that for this to be a really special event.  Robert keeps stressing that this might be the hardest we ever see it snow.  Looks like fun!

40 DBZ returns looks to follow the gap between I-40 and I-85!

Folks we do have a PBS thread up. Maybe some of these ibs could roll on over to it !

Glad MS is cashing in !!!

PBS gives me IBS. ;)

My favorite part so far from last night's discussions... I know what happened on that month

RAH 

HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MUCH DYNAMIC COOLING TAKE PLACE SINCEPOSSIBLY JANUARY 2000 (BACK THEN...ANTECEDENT CONDITIONS MOREFAVORABLE FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW).

PBS gives me IBS. ;)

My favorite part so far from last night's discussions... I know what happened on that month

RAH 

HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MUCH DYNAMIC COOLING TAKE PLACE SINCEPOSSIBLY JANUARY 2000 (BACK THEN...ANTECEDENT CONDITIONS MOREFAVORABLE FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW).

That is also what they are worried about. All the models show the dynamic cooling but "if" it does not start when it is modeled snow amounts will be less... they said maybe half that's currently forecasted. I think this could still fail bad or we could still get way more than what's forecasted. **This is fun** 

Archived