clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Discussion

BullCityWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an incredible upper low...even though the 5h feature is warmer aloft , the shape and tilt and relative vorticity is probably greater than the March 2009 event.  Taking the same approximate track (maybe a little more north)  Regardless, once your under and north and west of that circulation center, the snow will fall in a fashion you won't see very often in your lifetime.   It's short-lived, but will be something to witness thats for sure. And to think, just a couple days ago the ECMWF had this as a weak 1 contour that was fizzling out by Alabama.  I am very serious when I say that power lines and trees are going to take a major hit from this.  If you've never experienced 2" per hour rates and thundersnow, some of you will on that nw shield. Get ready!

the nam for charlotte is crazy! hope your right. 

I just took a look again at the high reso. NAM precip panels . It has 6 hour totals from HIckory to Shelby Forest City to Spartanburg in the2.00 to  2.5" range. I surely hope that 's wrong.

All of that falls as snow   That would be about 4" per hour snowfall . Unreal. Surely , it's overdone.

I just took a look again at the high reso. NAM precip panels . It has 6 hour totals from HIckory to Shelby Forest City to Spartanburg in the2.00 to  2.5" range. I surely hope that 's wrong.

All of that falls as snow   That would be about 4" per hour snowfall . Unreal. Surely , it's overdone.

So....if you we're to curb projected totals, places like CLT west could see 8"?

NAM's been right so far. would not surprised me if that verified. that would cause major disruptions. 

NAM's been right so far. would not surprised me if that verified. that would cause major disruptions. 

lol that would be down right unprecedented/historic. I doubt that happens but even if that gets cut in half it's still a big snowstorm. I'm interested to see if the RAP continues that interaction with the northern stream.

Generators will likely be needed.  As Robert said, 2" even could smash tree branches/etc.. think about 4".  That would be some of the hardest snow most have seen in their lives from the SE.  I couldn't even fathom seeing a sight like it, and although if I was in the 4"/hr output area and would want it, I'd most likely regret it in the end.

I just took a look again at the high reso. NAM precip panels . It has 6 hour totals from HIckory to Shelby Forest City to Spartanburg in the2.00 to 2.5" range. I surely hope that 's wrong.

All of that falls as snow That would be about 4" per hour snowfall . Unreal. Surely , it's overdone.

Please keep us posted I'll be up most of the night, would LOVE to see 3"+ rates, once in a lifetime kinda thing

I just took a look again at the high reso. NAM precip panels . It has 6 hour totals from HIckory to Shelby Forest City to Spartanburg in the2.00 to 2.5" range. I surely hope that 's wrong.

All of that falls as snow That would be about 4" per hour snowfall . Unreal. Surely , it's overdone.

I must have read your post wrong because 2 inches of qpf as all snow would be 24 inches. And for Spartanburg? Jeez.

We will see 24 hours from now, as I think it will be over about then for this area.  Boy oh boy if the Hi-RES nam has got this right, my region is looking at one of the biggest snowstorms of all time, and it all happens in only 6 hours or so. Wild stuff. I am doubtful though. Still, a big event like March 2009 is in the cards for someone close by. Just look at that 7h deformation band and the UVV's.

How much for the Dome summit?

Clingman's Dome? It's better to pick Mt. Leconte as there is someone right now who can measure what falls so we can verify it.

It looks like it'll be from 12-16". The rates will be heavier than when Sandy hit, but the snow will fall in 6 hours or less.

Archived