pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Discussion

BullCityWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand your point and ratios certainly will be close to what you surmise. My point is the snow will fall for a longer period of time due to the switchover being quicker (therefore more snow less rain). My opinion only. 

I'm leaning that way too Greg.  Check out the UVV's on the NAM.  That could very well be snow, but its not per soundings and the model.   If thats wrong and that deform band is snow we would have a good 2 to 3 hours of heavy or moderate snow.  But I could very well be wrong

00znam700mb_Omega_RHPMSL024.gif

Exactly. The dynamical cooling will lead to more snow, less rain. Temperatures dropping faster than indicated by the NAM. Again, not disputing your theory on lower ratios.

this is what i have been thinking for the n ga mtns. They are in a great spot with incredible lift near rhe 700mb low. I can see the entire column crash very quick.

It will be scary to see heavy rates not change over quick in western NC...more landslides may be possible before going over to snow esp. in the foothills. I expect to see some flash flood warnings tomorrow. Stay safe. I don't live too far up and its still raining with over 4.5 inches in the bucket. 

I am under a Flood Watch and a Winter Storm Warning...that does not happen often.

I have received over 3 inches of rain since Monday and the headwaters of the Catawba is elevated. 2-3 more inches could be a real problem here in McDowell County. Flooding is defintely a legit concern regardless.

From RAH:

AS FOR THE WINTER STORM WATCH... THE LATEST GUIDANCE IS COMING IN MUCH IN LINE WITH THE PREVIOUS MODELS... AND WITH OUR CURRENT FORECAST. IF ANYTHING... THE SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION FORECAST MAY BE UNDERDONE GIVEN THE EXPECTED STRONG LIFT/DYNAMICAL COOLING EXPECTED AS THE MID/UPPER LOW TRACK ACROSS THE REGION. THE CURRENT FORECAST TRACK FROM NEAR AUGUSTA TO NEAR CAE TO NEAR FAY OF THE MID LEVEL CENTER IS VERY FAVORABLE FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW EVENTS FOR AT LEAST THE CURRENT WATCH AREA OF CENTRAL NC. IF THE REST OF THE MODELS ARRIVE WITH SIMILAR TRACKS/STRENGTH OF THE SYSTEM... THE SNOW ACCUMULATION FORECASTS LIKELY BE BEEFED UP ACROSS AREAS ALONG AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM HIGH ROCK TO ASHEBORO TO RALEIGH AND ROCKY MOUNT...NORTHWARD... WITH THE MAIN IMPACT AFTER DARK THURSDAY.

ANOTHER POTENTIAL HAZARD OF THIS STORM WILL BE THAT THE COLDTEMPERATURES WILL ARRIVE WITH THE MID/UPPER LOW ITSELF. GIVENCURRENT DATA... A FULL DAY OF MILD RAIN SHOULD QUICKLY CHANGE TOSNOW... AND IN SOME CASES HEAVY SNOW FOR SEVERAL HOURS AFTER SUNSET.POTENTIAL SNOWFALL RATES OF 1-3 INCHES PER HOUR IS THERE IN THEWATCH AREA. THEREFORE... 45 DEGREES WITH RAIN SHOULD VERY WELLBECOME 35... THEN 32-33 WITH HEAVY SNOW IN A FEW HOURS TIME AFTERSUNSET. IN OTHER WORDS... DO NOT LET YOUR GUARD DOWN. SPRING CANBECOME WINTER VERY QUICKLY WITH SUCH DYNAMIC AND MOIST SYSTEMS.

I'm leaning that way too Greg.  Check out the UVV's on the NAM.  That could very well be snow, but its not per soundings and the model.   If thats wrong and that deform band is snow we would have a good 2 to 3 hours of heavy or moderate snow.  But I could very well be wrong

00znam700mb_Omega_RHPMSL024.gif

Nice! That looks like possible thundersnow with indices like that. It looks great anyway!

As much as we're loving the NAM, it still concerns me for IMBY the GFS still not cooling down the lowest levels. Here's the profile for KMRN at 24 hours.

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_grbsnd.cgi?id=KMRN&mo=gfs_avn_us&pl=out4&ft=h24&cu=latest&pt=parcel&size=640x480

950mb: 2.3

SFC: 2.0

From RAH:

AS FOR THE WINTER STORM WATCH... THE LATEST GUIDANCE IS COMING IN MUCH IN LINE WITH THE PREVIOUS MODELS... AND WITH OUR CURRENT FORECAST. IF ANYTHING... THE SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION FORECAST MAY BE UNDERDONE GIVEN THE EXPECTED STRONG LIFT/DYNAMICAL COOLING EXPECTED AS THE MID/UPPER LOW TRACK ACROSS THE REGION. THE CURRENT FORECAST TRACK FROM NEAR AUGUSTA TO NEAR CAE TO NEAR FAY OF THE MID LEVEL CENTER IS VERY FAVORABLE FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW EVENTS FOR AT LEAST THE CURRENT WATCH AREA OF CENTRAL NC. IF THE REST OF THE MODELS ARRIVE WITH SIMILAR TRACKS/STRENGTH OF THE SYSTEM... THE SNOW ACCUMULATION FORECASTS LIKELY BE BEEFED UP ACROSS AREAS ALONG AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM HIGH ROCK TO ASHEBORO TO RALEIGH AND ROCKY MOUNT...NORTHWARD... WITH THE MAIN IMPACT AFTER DARK THURSDAY.

I know he is talking about the RAH forecast area but this exactly what I am talking about.

looks like its sped up the timing the last couple of runs. i was hoping it would hold the change over off till after i got off work... to me gfs moves it through quicker this run compared to NAM and previous runs of GFS.

Most definitely.  That accumulation map is for 30 hours out which would be about 1 AM Friday.  The precip definitely looks to be hitting earlier in the evening for WNC anyway.

From RAH:

ANOTHER POTENTIAL HAZARD OF THIS STORM WILL BE THAT THE COLDTEMPERATURES WILL ARRIVE WITH THE MID/UPPER LOW ITSELF. GIVENCURRENT DATA... A FULL DAY OF MILD RAIN SHOULD QUICKLY CHANGE TOSNOW... AND IN SOME CASES HEAVY SNOW FOR SEVERAL HOURS AFTER SUNSET.POTENTIAL SNOWFALL RATES OF 1-3 INCHES PER HOUR IS THERE IN THEWATCH AREA. THEREFORE... 45 DEGREES WITH RAIN SHOULD VERY WELLBECOME 35... THEN 32-33 WITH HEAVY SNOW IN A FEW HOURS TIME AFTERSUNSET. IN OTHER WORDS... DO NOT LET YOUR GUARD DOWN. SPRING CANBECOME WINTER VERY QUICKLY WITH SUCH DYNAMIC AND MOIST SYSTEMS.

Pretty strong words. This is getting really good.

Archived