• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Discussion

BullCityWx

Well, Morristown doesn't seem to buy in to any model hiccups...

For the valley, including Knoxville and the Tri-Cities:

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGHTHURSDAY EVENING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A WINTERSTORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGHTHURSDAY EVENING.* TIMING...BRISK NORTHERLY WINDS WILL DEVELOP THURSDAY PULLING  COLDER AIR INTO THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS. THE COLDER AIR WILL  CHANGE THE RAIN TO SNOW...SOME HEAVY SNOW...THURSDAY AFTERNOON  AND EVENING. THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO QUICKLY THURSDAY NIGHT.* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOWFALL WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS DRIVING  CONDITIONS THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT. THE HEAVY WET SNOW  MAY PULL DOWN TREES AND POWER LINES IN SOME AREAS. LOCALIZED  POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE.* EVENT...RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW ON THURSDAY. PERIODS OF HEAVY  SNOW ARE POSSIBLE WITH SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES  POSSIBLE.

For the higher elevations:

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TO 10 PM ESTTHURSDAY...* EVENT...RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW ON THURSDAY. PERIODS OF HEAVY  SNOW ARE POSSIBLE WITH SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 16 INCHES  POSSIBLE ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. LOCALLY HEAVIER AMOUNTS  ACROSS THE HIGHEST TERRAIN...GENERALLY AT OR ABOVE 5000 FEET.* TIMING...BRISK NORTHERLY WINDS WILL DEVELOP THURSDAY PULLING  COLDER AIR INTO THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS. THE COLDER AIR WILL  CHANGE THE RAIN TO SNOW...SOME HEAVY SNOW...THURSDAY AFTERNOON  AND EVENING. THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF QUICKLY THURSDAY NIGHT.* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOWFALL WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS DRIVING  CONDITIONS THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT. THE HEAVY WET SNOW  MAY PULL DOWN TREES AND POWER LINES IN SOME AREAS. LOCALIZED  POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to put the ground temp issue to bed once and for all but with real data. Anyone game for a little science experiment? I say we have as many members as possible report on the same parameters (tbd) and we compile results for future storms. It seema like we always have this issue in the SE, so wouldnt it be good to have a data set to forecast from? How often do we have the chance to get out in front of a storm like this?

Who's in? What measurements do we want? We need a uniform template.

I would love to put the ground temp issue to bed once and for all but with real data. Anyone game for a little science experiment? I say we have as many members as possible report on the same parameters (tbd) and we compile results for future storms. It seema like we always have this issue in the SE, so wouldnt it be good to have a data set to forecast from? How often do we have the chance to get out in front of a storm like this?

I'd love to do it if I had an accurate thermometer.

I've also noticed that with a heavy enough rate of snow ground temps don't matter much. This is why you can have accumulating hail in the middle of summer if the precipitation rate is heavy enough. Granted, it will melt quickly, but still...

Even in mountains we look at ground temps up here:

From Raysweather.com

Today was not as bad but after a third day of getting wet (in the shower) the time to bring back the cold is right around the corner. As a result, our next incoming round of rain looks to turn to snow. The additional rain is important because it will swell creeks and streams again before the cold air turns the wet to white.

Our final Low pressure has rain redeveloping later tonight and continuing into Thursday. Colder air will quickly wrap in behind this low changing rain to snow in the mid to late afternoon Thursday. Snow will be over by midnight Thursday night. It may be impressive for a while; however, the warm ground will cut back some on snow accumulation. We're expecting 3"-6" for most, but terrain above 4000' should see more. That is welcome news to ski slopes as we head into the MLK weekend

An easy way to follow the ground soil temperatures is either:

A: NC State Climate Office Cronos Sites

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/map/

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/cronos/?station=MITC

B:  DOT Road Sensors (Near Real Time)

NCDOT does not make NC public but SC does:

Example in Charlotte area:

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_table_mesowest_m.cgi?stn=SC016&mode=

I'm in. I'll go measure my ground temp and then report how much rain accumulates by Friday morning. Right now I have recorded 57 F from my Gen-Tech infrared thermometer.

Archived