• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Discussion

BullCityWx

RPM certainly is eye candy given that this thing is just a few hours away. I can't help to think that some will feel some real heartbreak though when the actual event begins.

All in all, this could be a win for the NAM. Took the other models (Euro, GFS) to the woodshed if any of this verifies.

Can you post where you view that at?  The NE folks said it did well with there storm.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GSP official forecast for AVL is only 1-3", per their updated zone forecast.  Personally, given the 18Z run of the NAM, I think this is way too conservative.

Still feel 4-6" a good bet for downtown, with 8-12" likely across the Smokies and northward up the spine of the Apps.

Thanks Hurricane. I think they are being a little too conservative also especailly this coming up from the south. This is how we get our big storms in the mountains.

The better performance of the NAM is to be expected given its high resolution and the convective scheme that is used.  Inside of 48 hours out, the NAM is by far one of the best performing models MOST of the time and so really and truly I don't know why people even look at the global models (GFS, Euro, CMC) when forecasting inside of 48 hours out.

RPM certainly is eye candy given that this thing is just a few hours away. I can't help to think that some will feel some real heartbreak though when the actual event begins.

All in all, this could be a win for the NAM. Took the other models (Euro, GFS) to the woodshed if any of this verifies.

AVERY-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-HAYWOOD-BUNCOMBE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWLAND...SPRUCE PINE...WAYNESVILLE...

ASHEVILLE

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THURSDAY TO MIDNIGHT

EST THURSDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1

PM THURSDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST THURSDAY NIGHT. THE WINTER STORM WATCH

IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...THE CENTRAL AND NORTHERN MOUNTAINS OF NORTH

CAROLINA.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.

* TIMING...A TRANSITION FROM RAIN TO SNOW IS EXPECTED BY

THURSDAY AFTERNOON.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 8 INCHES AT HIGHER

ELEVATIONS. ACCUMULATIONS IN THE VALLEYS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES.

* IMPACTS...SNOWFALL CREATING HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. HEAVY

WET SNOW COMBINED WITH GUSTY WINDS MAY KNOCK DOWN TREES AND PULL

DOWN POWER LINES IN SOME AREAS.

* TEMPERATURES...FALLING INTO THE LOWER 30S BY LATE AFTERNOON.

* WINDS...NORTH 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW

ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN

EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...BE SURE TO TAKE ALONG YOUR CELL

PHONE. WEAR A WARM COAT...GLOVES...AND BOOTS. KEEP A BLANKET...

FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN

EMERGENCY.

Morristown TN NWS office is so conservative, they didn't even place the Tricities of TN under an advisory??  Virtually every model shows the deform in our area.  It's hard to imagine wanting to wait till the night before the event to issue something.  Waiting to issue an ADVISORY??  I am biased toward wanting snow, but IMO this level of conservativeness is just too much.  I would have gone with an advisory and then you could have leaned on BOTH sides of the fence for possibly more or less snow.  Now they are liable to have to issue Winter Storm Warnings tonight after 0z, where nothing is currently issued. By the time that comes out, everyone is in bed................................and this is an afternoon event the NEXT day. SMH

GSP official forecast for AVL is only 1-3", per their updated zone forecast.  Personally, given the 18Z run of the NAM, I think this is way too conservative.

Still feel 4-6" a good bet for downtown, with 8-12" likely across the Smokies and northward up the spine of the Apps.

I agree that 1-3 may be conservative, but looking at the model output, the bulk of the precip is happening before the cold comes in.  It looks like there is going to be a 3-6 hour window where the rain will have changed to snow from around 7 or 8 Thursday evening till midnight.  The first couple of hours ought to be fun, but we are also fighting warm ground temps that will probably melt a couple of inches as well.  Unless we can see that changeover earlier, or the moisture lingers longer than modeled, I think getting 6 in AVL will be hard to do.  My thought right now is 3-4.

Don't quote me on this, but I ***think*** it was the GFS...however both the GFS and ECMWF generally caught on at about the same time...the GFS is slowly getting better from what it used to be...better resolution and better physics packages are coming online and so I expect its improvement to continue...

Which model saw this event best and first from the longrange?

Hi Res NAM has qpf totals going bonkers just west of CLT. 5 + inches of total QPF starting from 18z. CLT around 4 inches. Hard to tell total of snow but probably around an inch of QPF of snow?

If we can get that level of precipitation falling to produce those QPF totals, then I would imagine the changeover would happen sooner rather than later. Either way, there is going to be some nasty black ice on Friday morning.

One other thing that I'd be cautious about is the potential for downsloping in the escarpment just south and east of the highest elevations in the Appalachians  This happens a lot with these marginal setups but any sort of adiabatic warming thanks to strong northwesterly flow off the Appalachians could put a serious damper on both precipitation and snowfall accumulations in areas that typically do very well in CAD setups. 

If there was a good analog to the potential outcome of this system, I'd look at the 2009 March 1-3rd southeast snowfall event in the Southeast. CIPS analog guidance  is used quite frequently by the RAH office, and this particular event is actually #3 on all of the analog cases for this event in the 36 hour period. The similarities are pretty remarkable with the exception that its about 2 months later in the season. In terms of expected conditions, the March 1-3rd event had more cold air to work with, but at the same time more solar radiation that was eating away at the cold air source region. However, that particular event also highlights my concerns with descent on the lee side of the mountains, where a local minima in snowfall accumulated resulted.

Now again I think this event I'm highlighting above had more cold air to work with, but the advantage with this particular system upcoming is that we are still in the middle of winter, so those that do switch over to snow are more likely to get decent accumulations in the absence of a strong sun elevation angle. In heavy wet snow situations such as this, ground temperature is more of an afterthought rather than a primary limiting factor for snowfall accumulation since heavy snowfall rates can easily overcome a warm ground temperature. 

Thanks Phil, I know this was asked before about why there is less in those areas. That answers that. 

The SPC WRF which I've found does a remarkable job on these events alot of the time supports WXSouth's idea that NRN GA could get pounded, very close to ATL as well.

That would be a treat; tks for the info.  Wll be interesting to see how the short-range hi-res models do with this one.  Trends have been rather favorable so far..

I agree that 1-3 may be conservative, but looking at the model output, the bulk of the precip is happening before the cold comes in.  It looks like there is going to be a 3-6 hour window where the rain will have changed to snow from around 7 or 8 Thursday evening till midnight.  The first couple of hours ought to be fun, but we are also fighting warm ground temps that will probably melt a couple of inches as well.  Unless we can see that changeover earlier, or the moisture lingers longer than modeled, I think getting 6 in AVL will be hard to do.  My thought right now is 3-4.

I respectfully disagree.  The bulk of the precip occurs during the transition time.  Yes, the snow window is 5pm to 10pm, but with possible thundersnow and very intense upward vertical velocities ( > 24 umb/s), I expect snowfall rates to be 2-3" per hour.  Subtract the first hour for melting and making slush, and then the rest of the time, 7-10pm for snow.  That gives us an easy 6".  This is a very dynamic system!  Surface temps will be offset by the heavy snowfall rates, and "warm ground" will be quickly overtaken as well. 

This system is being underrated, yet all the maps I've seen suggest a really powerhouse storm.  Do not underestimate the power of the ULL, mid-lapse rates, and snowfall rates!

I respectfully disagree.  The bulk of the precip occurs during the transition time.  Yes, the snow window is 5pm to 10pm, but with possible thundersnow and very intense upward vertical velocities ( > 24 umb/s), I expect snowfall rates to be 2-3" per hour.  Subtract the first hour for melting and making slush, and then the rest of the time, 7-10pm for snow.  That gives us an easy 6".  This is a very dynamic system!  Surface temps will be offset by the heavy snowfall rates, and "warm ground" will be quickly overtaken as well. 

This system is being underrated, yet all the maps I've seen suggest a really powerhouse storm.  Do not underestimate the power of the ULL, mid-lapse rates, and snowfall rates!

Thanks for your thoughts, and I do hope you are right (you present a strong case).  The key is going to be how quick that transition happens.

Archived