• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Discussion

BullCityWx

TV mets, at least in my area, and I'm assuming in most other areas of the SE are going to play any snow fcst VERY conservatively.  It's easy to play catch up but once you say "its going to snow 6" " then its hard to take that back. Your best bet is to totally ignore their on air forecast and stay right here. You may want to look up the different mets on Facebook or Twitter where they can be a little more candid. 

Oh I agree. The local weather station here is very conservative with snow here in the mountains unless it affects Asheville the most.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These forecasts seem to be way below what the models are showing. Do people just not trust the models or is there something else at play?

Brick as long as you have been on the board you should know the answer to your question. The media is usually 9 times outta 10 very conservative with any winter weather, they are afraid to get burned because more people will be pissed if they over predict than if they under predict.

Plus, all these pretty snowfall maps rarely ever verify like they show. People need to understand that a model's snowfall map posted on a weather board, while fun to talk about, is not the same as an official prediction by a professional forecaster. Good gravy.

Yes I no it is better to go conservative than dive right into a prediction.

Winter Storm Watch now for the northern third of Georgia.  FFC being more aggressive than usual concerning winter weather.  Good to see a proactive rather than reactive forecast!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA244 PM EST WED JAN 16 2013...WINTER STORM POSSIBLE ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA THURSDAY INTOFRIDAY MORNING....A STALLED SURFACE FRONT THAT CONTINUES TO BRING WIDESPREAD RAINTO MOST OF NORTH AND CENTRAL GEORGIA IS EXPECTED TO SHIFT SOUTHAS A COLD FRONT ON THURSDAY AFTERNOON. BEHIND THE FRONT...A COLDPOLAR AIRMASS WILL BEGIN TO SPREAD INTO GEORGIA. AT THE SURFACE...A LOWBEGINS TO STRENGTHEN ACROSS EAST GEORGIA. AS THIS LOW TRACKS TOTHE NORTHEAST...WRAP AROUND MOISTURE SHOULD SWING INTO THE COLDAIR MASS AND CAUSE THE RAIN TO CHANGE TO SNOW ACROSS NORTH GEORGIATHURSDAY AFTERNOON INTO THURSDAY EVENING. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL SHOULD BEIN THE NORTH GEORGIA MOUNTAINS.GAZ001>009-011>016-019>025-030>035-041>045-171000-/O.NEW.KFFC.WS.A.0001.130117T1800Z-130118T1500Z/DADE-WALKER-CATOOSA-WHITFIELD-MURRAY-FANNIN-GILMER-UNION-TOWNS-CHATTOOGA-GORDON-PICKENS-DAWSON-LUMPKIN-WHITE-FLOYD-BARTOW-CHEROKEE-FORSYTH-HALL-BANKS-JACKSON-POLK-PAULDING-COBB-NORTH FULTON-GWINNETT-BARROW-HARALSON-CARROLL-DOUGLAS-SOUTH FULTON-DEKALB-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CALHOUN...DAHLONEGA...CLEVELAND...ROME...CARTERSVILLE...GAINESVILLE...MARIETTA...ATLANTA...LAWRENCEVILLE...CARROLLTON...DOUGLASVILLE...EAST POINT...DECATUR244 PM EST WED JAN 16 2013...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGHFRIDAY MORNING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED AWINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOONTHROUGH FRIDAY MORNING.* LOCATIONS...NORTH OF A LINE FROM CARROLLTON TO ATLANTA TO JEFFERSON.* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND BLACK ICE.* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES ACROSS THE NORTHEAST AND NORTHWEST  GEORGIA MOUNTAINS...ONE INCH OR LESS ACROSS THE REST OF THE  WATCH AREA.* TIMING...SNOWFALL SHOULD BEGIN IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA BY MID  THURSDAY AFTERNOON...THEN THE REST OF NORTH GEORGIA THROUGH THE  LATE AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING HOURS.* IMPACTS...LIGHT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS UP TO ONE INCH ARE  POSSIBLE ON ROADWAYS ACROSS HIGHER ELEVATIONS IN THE MOUNTAINS.  BLACK ICE IS LIKELY ACROSS THE WATCH AREA THURSDAY NIGHT AND  FRIDAY MORNING WHEN TEMPERATURES FALL BELOW EVENING.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANTSNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

2 inches is enough to not get everyone in a panic and also not get egg on your face when it doesn't go that way.

Are you kidding me?! I just got back from the store and the panic is already beginning. Harris Teeter only had like 5 gallons of whole milk left. My mom called and said that Aldi's was mobbed with people. The local mets are only calling for a trace the last I saw, so it takes a lot less than 2 inches to get people in a panic.

Something from NWS-RAH implying dry air will affect the totals. Where have we seen that before? How many of us have seen a winter event unfold before our eyes, loaded with precip, head our way and then just as it reaches our door the precip evaporates from the radar.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSIONNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC100 PM EST WED JAN 16 2013.SHORT TERM /TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT/...AS OF 305 AM WEDNESDAY......IT IS RARE THAT CENTRAL NC RECEIVES SUBSTANTIAL(ADVISORYWORTHY)SNOWFALL AMOUNTS. INSTEAD...WE TYPICALLY SEE ONLY A DUSTINGRESTRICTED TO GRASSY AREAS AND/OR ELEVATED SURFACES. IN FACT...BUFRSOUNDINGS WOULD ARGUE FOR THAT POINT...SHOWING STRONG DEEP LAYERDRYING WITH THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE CAA FROM THE WEST AS THE LOWPRESSURE SYSTEM MOVES QUICKLY OUT TO SEA....

Something from NWS-RAH implying dry air will affect the totals. Where have we seen that before? How many of us have seen a winter event unfold before our eyes, loaded with precip, head our way and then just as it reaches our door the precip evaporates from the radar.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSIONNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC100 PM EST WED JAN 16 2013.SHORT TERM /TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT/...AS OF 305 AM WEDNESDAY......IT IS RARE THAT CENTRAL NC RECEIVES SUBSTANTIAL(ADVISORYWORTHY)SNOWFALL AMOUNTS. INSTEAD...WE TYPICALLY SEE ONLY A DUSTINGRESTRICTED TO GRASSY AREAS AND/OR ELEVATED SURFACES. IN FACT...BUFRSOUNDINGS WOULD ARGUE FOR THAT POINT...SHOWING STRONG DEEP LAYERDRYING WITH THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE CAA FROM THE WEST AS THE LOWPRESSURE SYSTEM MOVES QUICKLY OUT TO SEA....

Seriously? Hope this is one time that it doesn't happen.

I think you will see RAH put out WSW's for INT and probably GSO for 3-5" and a WWA for RDU for 1-2", but they will preface that RDU will be on grassy surfaces with no impact to travel.  I agree, the 4km HWRF had 1-2" for RDU with more NW.  I imagine we see the NAM tick NW more, but we will see.

This was written at 3:00 this a.m.

Archived