pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Discussion

BullCityWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't blame you or any forecaster one bit for playing this conservatively. Honestly, I don't envy any of you -- hard to imagine a tougher call than this one.

I was looking through some MOS products and noticed the fcsted winds and thought...oh no!!  This might do a number on a lot of trees, which in turn will knock out power to many!

I think many forecasters are quite gun shy right now, including myself. This does has the chance to be quite the snowstorm and YES, I've seen heavy snowfall overcome warm roads/yards. It turns into a slushy mess and with temps expected to bottom out in the upper 20s, once the storm exits out to sea, black ice is going to be a HUGE problem!

Updated to include 12z GFS

Just for kicks...12z NAM and GFS extracted data snowfall totals for a few cities...  NAM totals on the left and GFS on the right.

Huntsville, AL - 1.5" / 0.3"

Birmingham, AL - 4.1" / 0.9"

Chattanooga, TN - 3.1" / 0.3"

Crossville, TN - 4.5" / 0.3"

Knoxville, TN - 6.7" / 2.1"

Bristol, TN - 7.1" / 8.4"

Rome, GA  - 3.1" / 0.6"

Gainesville, GA - 0.9" / 0.0"

Asheville, NC - 5.7" / 0.6"

Hickory, NC - 5.5" / 0.3"

Boone, NC - 10.9" / 5.0"

Charlotte, NC - 4.8"

Raleigh, NC - 3.9"

Atlanta GA, Athens GA, Greenville SC - ZIP

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HUNTSVILLE AL
108 PM CST WED JAN 16 2013

...WINTRY WEATHER WILL LIKELY AFFECT MUCH OF THE TENNESSEE VALLEY
BEGINNING LATE TONIGHT AND DURING MUCH OF THURSDAY...

.A POWERFUL UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP AND MOVE
ACROSS NORTH CENTRAL ALABAMA. COLD AIR ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM
WILL CAUSE PRECIPITATION TO CHANGEOVER FROM RAIN TO SNOW DURING THE
OVERNIGHT. THERE IS ALSO A POTENTIAL FOR ICE FOR FORM ON ELEVATED
SURFACES AND IN THE HIGHER TERRAIN...AS THE COLD AIR RUSHES ACROSS
THE REGION BY EARLY THURSDAY MORNING.

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH
FRIDAY AFTERNOON...

http://www.daculaweather.com/national_alerts/4_severe_alert.php?WFO=hun

And the other really big kicker that hasn't been discussed much at all are the winds.  Surface winds, at least here in the mountains, are forecast to be sustained at 15-20, gusting over 35 mph at times Thursday night.  Combine this with saturated grounds, heavy wet snow, and you will get some tree toppling.  Maybe even some power outages.  It's also the wind that will enhance the cold advection, and thus the frontogenetical forcing, for the deformation band across NC and VA.

With the EURO trending 50-80 miles south in the position of the surface low (NAM has it over ATL, EURO south of that a bit), and with the ULL trending stronger in most models, I think this may be shaping up to be a blockbuster event for North Carolina and Virginia.  This is also our first big snow event since 2011, so folks should be paying attention to their local forecasts.  The lack of any advisories east of the mountains is disturbing.  I hope the afternoon packages address this.

Yesterday I said 2-4" for AVL.  Today I'm going with 4-6" downtown, 1-3" at the airport, and 4-8" in surrounding counties north and west. Also, counties NE of AVL will see 4-8" as well.  Honestly, I am concerned these may be too conservative given the latest model consensus, but I am accounting for some slushy "foundation" on surfaces before the accumulations really set in.  However, I do anticipate some really impressive snowfall rates which may overcome surface and ground temps.  It's not easy to do, but it can be done...

Ya good post for the mountains. As seen on the news there has been some minor flooding and lots of rain. If we get clobbered with heavy wet snow and then sustained high winds we could be in trouble.

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH
THURSDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED
A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING
THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING.

• LOCATIONS...THE CENTRAL AND NORTHERN MOUNTAINS OF NORTH
CAROLINA.

• HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.

• TIMING...A TRANSITION FROM RAIN TO SNOW IS EXPECTED BY THURSDAY
AFTERNOON.

• ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6 INCHES. LOCALLY
HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY IN THE HIGH ELEVATIONS
ALONG THE TENNESSEE BORDER.

Ya good post for the mountains. As seen on the news there has been some minor flooding and lots of rain. If we get clobbered with heavy wet snow and then sustained high winds we could be in trouble.

What do you think for us here in East Central MS????   Winter Storm Watch
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE JACKSON MS110 PM CST WED JAN 16 2013MSZ025>033-035>052-170315-/O.NEW.KJAN.WS.A.0002.130117T0600Z-130117T1500Z/LEFLORE-GRENADA-CARROLL-MONTGOMERY-WEBSTER-CLAY-LOWNDES-CHOCTAW-OKTIBBEHA-HUMPHREYS-HOLMES-ATTALA-WINSTON-NOXUBEE-ISSAQUENA-SHARKEY-YAZOO-MADISON MS-LEAKE-NESHOBA-KEMPER-WARREN-HINDS-RANKIN-SCOTT-NEWTON-LAUDERDALE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GREENWOOD...GRENADA...VAIDEN...NORTH CARROLLTON...CARROLLTON...WINONA...EUPORA...MABEN...MATHISTON...WEST POINT...COLUMBUS...ACKERMAN...WEIR...STARKVILLE...BELZONI...ISOLA...DURANT...TCHULA...LEXINGTON...PICKENS...GOODMAN...KOSCIUSKO...LOUISVILLE...MACON...BROOKSVILLE...MAYERSVILLE...ROLLING FORK...ANGUILLA...YAZOO CITY...RIDGELAND...MADISON...CANTON...CARTHAGE...PHILADELPHIA...PEARL RIVER...DE KALB...SCOOBA...VICKSBURG...JACKSON...PEARL...BRANDON...RICHLAND...FOREST...MORTON...NEWTON...UNION...DECATUR...CONEHATTA...MERIDIAN110 PM CST WED JAN 16 2013...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT CST TONIGHT THROUGHTHURSDAY MORNING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN JACKSON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORMWATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAYMORNING.* TIMING: SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN FALLING OVER THE WATCH AREA AFTER  MIDNIGHT TONIGHT AND PERSIST INTO AT LEAST MID MORNING THURSDAY.* MAIN IMPACT: SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES IS EXPECTED.* OTHER IMPACTS: SNOW ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED PRIMARILY ON GRASSY  AND ELEVATED SURFACES. WHILE WIDESPREAD TRAVEL PROBLEMS ARE NOT  CURRENTLY EXPECTED DUE TO ALREADY WET ROADS...IN LOCATIONS THAT  EXPERIENCE HIGHER SNOWFALL RATES...A SLUSH COULD DEVELOP ON LOCAL  BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES WHICH COULD MAKE DRIVING ACROSS THEM  TREACHEROUS.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANTSNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.PLEASE CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

481152_468733909830819_1209093662_n.png

Hmm.....what's that shadowy area running from Galax down towards Asheville??

Dude, stop beating that horse.  It's possible yes.  But DT certainly has the right to provide his forecast as well.  This is why I shut up and read instead of just posting commentary designed to stir the pot.  Add to the discussion with facts or research or models and provide support for your forecasts.  That's all Burger was asking.

These forecasts seem to be way below what the models are showing. Do people just not trust the models or is there something else at play?

I'd imagine they're tempering the model output with climatology + warm soil temps.  Just because the QPF shows 6" (at whatever ratio the model uses) doesn't mean 6" will actually accumulate.

Just what I was thinking Brick. Some of these totals may go up later this evening though as we get closer to the event.

Brick doesn't deserve an answer and I'm probably speculating here but what is the diff. between telling people 2 inches right now? You can always go up.  2 inches is enough to not get everyone in a panic and also not get egg on your face when it doesn't go that way. This is a very delicate line all of us are riding outside of the mountains. Someone is going to cash in while others get left holding the bag. Just the way it is with these systems. So why should anyone in the public go out on a limb? Come on. 

Just what I was thinking Brick. Some of these totals may go up later this evening though as we get closer to the event.

TV mets, at least in my area, and I'm assuming in most other areas of the SE are going to play any snow fcst VERY conservatively.  It's easy to play catch up but once you say "its going to snow 6" " then its hard to take that back. Your best bet is to totally ignore their on air forecast and stay right here. You may want to look up the different mets on Facebook or Twitter where they can be a little more candid. 

Brick doesn't deserve an answer and I'm probably speculating here but what is the diff. between telling people 2 inches right now? You can always go up.  2 inches is enough to not get everyone in a panic and also not get egg on your face when it doesn't go that way. This is a very delicate line all of us are riding outside of the mountains. Someone is going to cash in while others get left holding the bag. Just the way it is with these systems. So why should anyone in the public go out on a limb? Come on. 

That is what I was thinking but just wanted someone else to say it to clarify things. It's better to be conservative to the public than to be blamed for crying wolf.

Quick question for Powerstroke or those in the know regarding brining of roads.  With all the rain pre-event that process is pretty pointless, correct?  If so, I would imagine the heavier band scenario being forecasted could play a much greater role across the piedmont / foothills and into VA for many if the roads aren't pre-treated.  No one except us is discussing this event for Friday rush hour.  This will be a shocker for most I think.

Ya true it does not take much to get people in a panic these days.

Brick doesn't deserve an answer and I'm probably speculating here but what is the diff. between telling people 2 inches right now? You can always go up. 2 inches is enough to not get everyone in a panic and also not get egg on your face when it doesn't go that way. This is a very delicate line all of us are riding outside of the mountains. Someone is going to cash in while others get left holding the bag. Just the way it is with these systems. So why should anyone in the public go out on a limb? Come on.

Plus, all these pretty snowfall maps rarely ever verify like they show. People need to understand that a model's snowfall map posted on a weather board, while fun to talk about, is not the same as an official prediction by a professional forecaster. Good gravy.

Winter storm watches now posted for central VA including Richmond for 2-4 inches of snow

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA

235 PM EST WED JAN 16 2013

VAZ060-065>071-079-080-170600-

/O.NEW.KAKQ.WS.A.0001.130117T2200Z-130118T0600Z/

PRINCE EDWARD-MECKLENBURG-LUNENBURG-NOTTOWAY-AMELIA-POWHATAN-

CHESTERFIELD-HENRICO-BRUNSWICK-DINWIDDIE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FARMVILLE...SOUTH HILL...CREWE...

COLONIAL HEIGHTS...RICHMOND...LAWRENCEVILLE

235 PM EST WED JAN 16 2013

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

LATE THURSDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WAKEFIELD HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.

* AREAS AFFECTED: THE EASTERN VIRGINIA PIEDMONT THROUGH RICHMOND.

* HAZARDS: SNOW

* ACCUMULATIONS: 2 TO 4 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS UP TO 5

INCHES.

* TIMING: SNOW MAY MIX WITH THE RAIN THURSDAY AFTERNOON...BEFORE

CHANGING TO ALL SNOW LATE THURSDAY AFTERNOON/EARLY THURSDAY

EVENING. SNOW WILL END LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS: HEAVIEST SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE ON GRASSY AREAS.

SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED TO BE HEAVY AT TIMES WHICH WILL LEAD TO

HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS.

Archived