pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Discussion

BullCityWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure thing buddy, but I think the models are trolling us at this point LMAO!

2m67oxv.jpg

That's like DGEX level trolling right there.  Enjoy your 27 inches!

Edit:  Just noticed that Iowa State upped the ratios to 30:1 for some strange reason.  Never seen that before.  Obviously that gram is silly.  Focus on the Cobb.

Thank you. I realize this is pure fantasy, but I needed a good laugh this morning. :snowing:

30:1 ratios? Yeah right. That can be a stretch even during arctic-blast NW flow events.

tnnut is spot on with his concerns. The ground is incredibly saturated (which, by the way, there is still a batch of rain heading this way), and very little drying will occur by tomorrow. Even with light wind, this setup spells major trouble for the mountains.

Just an awful awful map, no way no how is Caldwell county getting 9-12" MAYBE 1-3" that is just one example but geez how do people listen to or believe this guy?

A lot of the model runs indicate otherwise. I'm not saying he's right but you can't say he's wrong when the event hasn't even occurred. 

Personally, he think his prediction is a touch high, but it's just another mets opinion and probably shouldn't be discounted completely.

12z GFS pretty much confirms the minimal snow threat for far NE GA.  By 6z skies have totally cleared out which should allow temps to drop into the 20s.  I think the biggest threat across parts of N GA will be black ice.

Yeah..us in GA are in the bone zone. Best shot is probably NW GA, may take a a jaunt up I-75 before work tomorrow afternoon. If I was off I would be up in NC but no such luck. Congrats to those who do get nailed.

12z GFS pretty much confirms the minimal snow threat for far NE GA.  By 6z skies have totally cleared out which should allow temps to drop into the 20s.  I think the biggest threat across parts of N GA will be black ice.

Yeah..us in GA are in the bone zone. Best shot is probably NW GA, may take a a jaunt up I-75 before work tomorrow afternoon. If I was off I would be up in NC but no such luck. Congrats to those who do get nailed.

I think AVL might be a good spot(which is good, because i'm headed that way sunday)

Whats up folks? Long time.

Anyway heared about a pending snow storm and from what I see this could be a nice event for some folks. Especially this area.... nam is insisting on atleast a half foot or more for here.

But I'll be glad when the sun comes out since monday had 1.6" of rain and the temp is stuck at 41. Dont look like the CAD is going to give up today.

Anyway dont have alot of time so go to go, stay safe and enjoy the snow tomorrow.

yes it does nice litttle bubble of warm air N.Foothills with rain over my house! lol

I_nw_r1_EST_2013011612_039.png

But that is a nice change for this model. I would think you would have more cold air to work with (model may not correctly understand geography of your area). Puts RDU right in the middle of the orange (sleet/mix). I'll take it!!!

Keeps the 5h energy strong into SC... Just on the sfc looks really good to me for mby, just IMHO Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

ULL is stronger, the precip is heavier compared to 0z Euro run.. Also notice the HP over the NE is stronger, too.  

Here's Euro for my area.

THU 18Z 17-JAN   3.1     1.3    1020      96      99    0.66     566     550   
FRI 00Z 18-JAN   1.5    -0.7    1020      97     100    0.88     561     545   
FRI 06Z 18-JAN   0.4    -1.5    1024      75      10    0.33     559     540   

Man I dont know what the deal is, it is like hte 3rd time today i posted and then hit submit and the post doesnt show. I had written out a long euro description oh well.

I dont have the heart to do it again, but literall vendor snowfall output from ECMWF shows:

8-12 southern mnts of Va,

4-8 NE TN, southern Va, northern half of NC. Include TRI, HKY, Boone, INT, AVL, GSO, RDU, RWI, DAN, near RIC

2-4 central northern VA, eastern TN, includes northern burbs of CLT, RIC,

1-2 eastern 1/3 of TN, southern foothills/piedmont/sandhills, central/southern coastal plain of NC to NE NC. Also to just south of DC. CLT maybe in this.

Gradient between 4-8 area and 1-2 in NC is very narrow, sharp gradient. Much of Ga/SC get no snow this run.

Again this is just literal output from the model

So, sounds like a stronger ULL, holding together longer? Was it further north than prior runs?

And yes, I've had same problem with posting. Sometimes have to hit post three times before it will go through.

Man I dont know what the deal is, it is like hte 3rd time today i posted and then hit submit and the post doesnt show. I had written out a long euro description oh well.

I dont have the heart to do it again, but literall vendor snowfall output from ECMWF shows:

8-12 southern mnts of Va,

4-8 NE TN, southern Va, northern half of NC. Include TRI, HKY, Boone, INT, AVL, GSO, RDU, RWI, DAN, near RIC

2-4 central northern VA, eastern TN, includes northern burbs of CLT, RIC,

1-2 eastern 1/3 of TN, southern foothills/piedmont/sandhills, central/southern coastal plain of NC to NE NC. Also to just south of DC. CLT maybe in this.

Gradient between 4-8 area and 1-2 in NC is very narrow, sharp gradient. Much of Ga/SC get no snow this run.

Again this is just literal output from the model

So, sounds like a stronger ULL, holding together longer? Was it further north than prior runs?

And yes, I've had same problem with posting. Sometimes have to hit post three times before it will go through.

Not so much further north, just slower and a bit stronger. Still closed low over north Georgia, opens up as it moves across NC, but stronger than 00z run.

Could be the ajax code for new replies. What browser are you using?  I've had issues with the ajax in IE.  This also explains the credit card problem with some people, I believe.

...BRIEF WINTER WEATHER POSSIBLE ACROSS NORTH AND PORTIONS OF
CENTRAL GEORGIA THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING...
...BLACK ICE POSSIBLE ACROSS NORTH AND PORTIONS OF CENTRAL GEORGIA
THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY MORNING...

A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL MOVE ACROSS THE STATE ON THURSDAY.
AHEAD OF THE SYSTEM...A DEEP SOUTHERLY FLOW WILL SPREAD AMPLE
GULF MOISTURE NORTHWARD...RESULTING IN WIDESPREAD RAIN ACROSS
NORTH AND CENTRAL GEORGIA. AS THE ASSOCIATED COLD FRONT PUSHES
INTO THE CAROLINAS THURSDAY AFTERNOON...A DEEP COLD AIR MASS WILL
BEGIN TO SPREAD INTO THE AREA FROM WEST TO EAST THURSDAY WITH
TEMPERATURES GENERALLY FALLING THROUGH THE DAY.

RAIN IS EXPECTED TO MIX WITH AND CHANGE OVER TO SNOW OR A SNOW/SLEET
MIX ACROSS MAINLY PORTIONS OF NORTH GEORGIA THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND
EVENING. DESPITE WARM GROUNDS FROM RECENT UNSEASONABLY WARM
TEMPERATURES... THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR SOME LIGHT SNOW
ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS PARTS OF NORTH GEORGIA... ESPECIALLY THE NORTH
GEORGIA MOUNTAINS... DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS.
THE GREATER CHANCES FOR ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE IN THE HIGHER
ELEVATIONS OF NORTH GEORGIA WHERE 1 TO 3 INCHES MAY BE POSSIBLE.
HOWEVER... IF THE SNOW RATES GET ENHANCED ENOUGH BY THE STRONG UPPER
LOW TRAVERSING THE STATE... SOME LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE HALF
INCH OR LESS MAY BE POSSIBLE ACROSS PARTS OF NORTH GEORGIA GENERALLY
NORTH OF THE I-20 CORRIDOR WEST OF ATLANTA... AND THE I-85 CORRIDOR
EAST OF ATLANTA...AND THIS WOULD BE MAINLY OVER ELEVATED AND GRASSY
SURFACES.

Yes - IE. It's odd, I will hit post, I will get the flashing bars at the top -- sometimes it will post, other times it will just save my post and the "post" button will reappear and I try again.

Could be the ajax code for new replies. What browser are you using?  I've had issues with the ajax in IE.  This also explains the credit card problem with some people, I believe.

Archived