Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2013 Global Temperatures

The_Global_Warmer

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if the same temp in a neutral year 16 years ago would have proved that the 'hiatusisreal', does the same temp in a strong Nino year 16 years ago prove that the hiatusisnotreal?

One month either way doesn't prove anything.

But to be fair, there is about a 3-5 month lag between ENSO and global temps on average, and in 1997 the Nino didn't really get going until May/June. Which is why the biggest temperature departures didn't come until well after September 1997.

One month either way doesn't prove anything.

But to be fair, there is about a 3-5 month lag between ENSO and global temps on average, and in 1997 the Nino didn't really get going until May/June. Which is why the biggest temperature departures didn't come until well after September 1997.

Yes that was my point. Also for surface temps the peak correlation is the 3 month lag IIRC. TLT is 5 or 6 months. 

I thought NCDC does include the poles, which is why it is so similar to GISS?

But the map aboe shows it doesn't include the poles... are there different versions?

I thought so too, but according to their raster graphics, much of the arctic circle and southern ocean is excluded. It certainly would explain the discrepancy between GISS and NCDC this month ( also the 10 year trend on NcDC is less).

NCDC doesn't extrapolate over the polar regions. They are still close to GISS trends however because when they stopped using satellite SST data recently, they put a huge hole over the southern ocean which has a pretty steep cooling trend which offsets the warming they miss over the arctic.

Preliminary Data: Tremendous Warmth for September...

GISS Data:

September:

2013: +0.74°C (Tied for warmest on record with 2005)

Vs. 1981-2010 baseline: +0.367°C

Vs. 30-Year Moving Average: +0.321°C

Year-to-Date:

2013: +0.588°C (6th warmest)

Vs. 1981-2010 baseline: +0.244°C

Vs. 30-Year Moving Average: +0.205°C

Preliminary Data: Tremendous Warmth for September...

GISS Data:

September:

2013: +0.74°C (Tied for warmest on record with 2005)

Vs. 1981-2010 baseline: +0.367°C

Vs. 30-Year Moving Average: +0.321°C

Year-to-Date:

2013: +0.588°C (6th warmest)

Vs. 1981-2010 baseline: +0.244°C

Vs. 30-Year Moving Average: +0.205°C

Damn.  In-spite of ENSO this year is coming in very warm. 

Folks who don't have the courage to make any predictions in this thread shouldn't be calling out others who are wrong.

you guys didn't even have it in you to make yearly predictions let alone short term ones which are hard to get right. 

But you are quick to call out others for being wrong.

Speak volumes about your character.

You all are welcome to make a prediction on how November will do on any of the global temp tracking platforms we have?

Please do.

Damn.  In-spite of ENSO this year is coming in very warm. 

The only thing preventing from us pushing above 2010 has been the recent El Nino failure a year ago and the continued cold to neutral Pacific ENSO. I guess the big question is whether late 2014 stays neural or transitions

to Nino? The statistical models only get to +0.3 by next summer after a neutral winter.

Average, statistical models -0.2 -0.2 -0.2 -0.2 -0.1 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.3

Folks who don't have the courage to make any predictions in this thread shouldn't be calling out others who are wrong.

you guys didn't even have it in you to make yearly predictions let alone short term ones which are hard to get right.

You all are welcome to make a prediction on how November will do on any of the global temp tracking platforms we have?

Please do.

I predict the totality of your predictions will be too high. So in case if I miss a prediction game, just put me down for ....oh let's see....Friv. minus .05...

Please do.

Why should anyone who thinks the predictions are foolhearty make their own? That is a serious question.

As results from previous years demonstrate, it is possible to be consistently close to the actual. For example, this year Don and I will likely both be within one or two hundredths of the actual. 

Making a yearly prediction on temps is a lot different than guessing what the month will finish up with only 10 days into the month....one is a foolhearty prediction and the other is not.

I mean, if you want to guess...fine....just don't start bashing others who aren't in the business of predicting a monthly anomaly.

Why should anyone who thinks the predictions are foolhearty make their own? That is a serious question.

Because it's how you learn.  When you are wrong you can look to why you are wrong and learn from it.

Even if it takes being wrong a lot.

If we pinpoint the AO effect on global temps then learn to predict the AO.  We can learn to predict global temps more accurately on a shorter term scale. 

Which would probably open up even more doors for us to piece the puzzle together

Because it's how you learn.  When you are wrong you can look to why you are wrong and learn from it.

Even if it takes being wrong a lot.

If we pinpoint the AO effect on global temps then learn to predict the AO.  We can learn to predict global temps more accurately on a shorter term scale. 

Which would probably open up even more doors for us to piece the puzzle together

I agree with you actually...but I just think it is wrong to bash someone for not making a prediction. Particularly ones that have little known skill.

I agree with you actually...but I just think it is wrong to bash someone for not making a prediction. Particularly ones that have little known skill.

I don't think Friv was doing that. I think he was objecting to those bashing him when they themselves don't make a prediction. 

if someone thinks they can do better than Friv, then show us. That was the point. 

I don't think Friv was doing that. I think he was objecting to those bashing him when they themselves don't make a prediction. 

if someone thinks they can do better than Friv, then show us. That was the point. 

He was being criticized for saying something was "in the bag" when obviously it wasn't. That doesn't require the criticizing party to make a prediction themselves.

what does everyone think about the upcoming AO and the global temps?  Will land temps in the NH be warmer than the last few years causing a bit of a bump vs the deep cold we have seen settle into the mid lats?

Secondly what will ENSO do?  Will the weeklies warm back up to .25C+?  The Indian ocean looks like it's warmed a lot recently as well.  Tropical warming typically has a much larger impact.  

navy-anom-bb.gif

October is already out: +0.21

No one cares about RSS now. Apparently it's "cold-biased".

Even though a few years ago the same accusations were being thrown at UAH, when RSS was running warmer. Something to do with who runs UAH. Well, who runs RSS? What is their motivation now for their cooler anomalies?

No one cares about RSS now. Apparently it's "cold-biased".

Even though a few years ago the same accusations were being thrown at UAH, when RSS is running warming. Something to do with who runs UAH. Well, who runs RSS? What is their motivation now for their cooler anomalies?

There is no motivation for them.  No one here (that I know of) has accused any of the major global temperature datasets of manipulating data.  However, for the last 10 years or so, RSS has become a bit of an outlier compared to the surface data sets and UAH for trends.  This could be due to the missing data in the quickly warming arctic, or some not yet detected bug in the algorithm.

Since 2000 Trends

RSS: -0.01 C/decade

UAH:  0.104 C/decade

GISS: 0.0664 C/decade

NCDC: 0.061 0 C/decade

HADCRUT4: 0.041 C/decade

The fact that the two lower troposphere temperatures are that off is concerning.  Again, most of the difference could be the arctic.  For the record, the RSS should always be posted here as it's relevant to global temperatures.

Secondly what will ENSO do?  Will the weeklies warm back up to .25C+?  The Indian ocean looks like it's warmed a lot recently as well.  Tropical warming typically has a much larger impact.  

The 3.4 weekly only warmed to -0.2 C. So, it remains neutral negative. If some of the dynamic model runs had verified, 3.4 would already be at or near weak Nino. Be very wary of these OISST maps. Last year at this time, they showed an incredible warming in 3.4 only to falter as quickly as the warming came on, suggesting faulty data. NOAA decided to ignore the intense warming in their weeklies, which ended up looking good. True sudden and strong warming doesn't just initially come on that fast at this time of year normally.

Based on the last 38 Ninos, the chances for even a weak Nino in time for this winter are now 1% or lower imo.

Archived