12/30 Coastal Part II - Snowing Our Way Into NYE

Clinch Leatherwood

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

425am WSW up for much of Eastern MA

Box going with 4-8" for Boston metro

Statement as of 4:25 AM EST on December 29, 2012

... Winter Storm Warning in effect from noon today to 7 am EST Sunday...

The National Weather Service in Taunton has issued a Winter Storm

Warning for heavy snow... which is in effect from noon today to 7

am EST Sunday.

* Locations... northeast Connecticut into the greater Boston area.

* Hazard types... heavy snow.

* Accumulations... snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches.

* Uncertainty... snow will mix with rain at times along the eastern

Massachusetts coastline... including the city of Boston.

Therefore highest snow amounts will likely occur across Metro

west including the Route 128 and Interstate 495 corridors of

eastern Massachusetts.

* Timing... snow begins early this afternoon. The heaviest snow

will occur from 5 PM to 1 am... then tapering off toward sunrise

Sunday.

* Impacts... accumulating snow which may make driving difficult.

Poor visibility at times.

Still wanna bet that BOS sees no measurable between now and 1/1?

Are you through insulting the new king, the NAM/RPM combo? Lol.

Jerry had his chance for dinner redemption but would not bite pardon the pun. Now he will be buried in a sea of regret as the snow stacks around him up to his knees.

Even the less than faithful Ray may be rewarded. Phil went to bed expecting an inch or two and Scott should have more inches of snow than he does accumulated dirty diapers.

The road to winter redemption began a few days early. I probably would have made that bet, glad I didn't.

box said something about the low possibly tracking just inside the bm...isn't that usually really good for the hfd spfd area?

i thought that was how we get crushed? and the low will be bombing as it goes by

but the models are keeping that really heavy qpf to the east

Fast moving doesn't really have the time to wrap up like a slower moving system . Healthy totals though

Coingrats, everyone--especially to those for whom this has been a too long a wait.

I'm shocked but thrilled on how things have changed. Perhaps the models will be one step behind this storm even through it's passage!

Right now, my ZFP is showing 4-8"--lol. I'll stick with 3-6.

Good luck and enjoy!

20.8/19--no evap cooling happening today.

usually but this storm seems like its going to be more compact.. off to work hoping everything works out

box said something about the low possibly tracking just inside the bm...isn't that usually really good for the hfd spfd area?

i thought that was how we get crushed? and the low will be bombing as it goes by

but the models are keeping that really heavy qpf to the east

Box AFD 516am:

Short range models in good agreement this morning as the low will move off the middle Atlantic coast then will rapidly developing as it quickly moves NE...passing close to the 40/70 benchmark tonight. This morning/S 00z and especially the 06z NAM runs were very concerning...as these runs bomb the system out as it moves by... coming just inside the benchmark and slowing the system down just a bit. Also...both the NAM and European model (ecmwf) have big slug of quantitative precipitation forecast moving across. Forecast quantitative precipitation forecast on order of around 1/2 inch across S New Hampshire/west Massachusetts/north central CT to 1.5 inches across S coastal Massachusetts...Cape Cod and the islands through tonight.

So...the big question is...how much snow will fall. With the low S of the region...most of the precipitation will be in the form of snow. Using partial thicknesses...looks like a general 4-8 inch swath across central and eastern Massachusetts/Rhode Island into NE CT. Outside there...expect 3-6 inches except lower amounts along the S coast. Next question...the rain/snow line. With the increasing NE winds as the low strengthens...expect rain/snow line to run along the S coast...then may slip into southern Bristol and Plymouth counties possibly as far north as a Taunton to Plymouth line for a time this afternoon. Appears that the bullseye for highest snow amounts will occur from NE CT/north Rhode Island into interior southeast Massachusetts. Would not be surprised to see some locales receiving more than 8 inches.

Based on all this...have issued winter storm warnings as far north as NE Massachusetts /Essex County/ then through Middlesex and southern Worcester County to Windham County CT. Elsewhere...winter weather advisories continue for remainder of region except Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard where precipitation will be mainly rain...heavy at times. Did keep Block Island in the advisory as it is possible that they may receive some snow on the backside tonight.

Rgem ticked up for sure too. Wow. I always fret the storms that require a huge runup development but this should be really something today for most of you. Imagine Kevin getting the snow he was hoping for? Nobody expected that even 12 hours ago.

Incredible storm hopefully in its depeening.

Nice looking shot of cooler air at the end of the week as well. Might eek out a single-digit hghs at the end of the week? The snow will be relatively fresh, so that could help.

Any sese as to whether those returns in CT are hitting the ground?

Archived