g0ldl10n
    Newest Member
    g0ldl10n
12/30 Coastal Part II - Snowing Our Way Into NYE

Clinch Leatherwood

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad my legacy lives on!!! I loved seeing my old showfx scenes from '04 sticking around!

Seriously though with max the rpm gives you a lot of great ways to display things. I just feel like deterministic totals/amounts are generally a bad way to go. Even if you're showing "what one model shows" I feel like it wastes a lot of time explaining and in general is confusing. That's just my opinion though there are many better ways to present WX on tv than what i do I'm sure :)

Makes sense...I've definitely seen some mets here that show what the RPM (or any model for that matter) is showing but have difficulty getting their point across. I'm definitely excited to use the system...we should be starting with it the second or third week of the semester! Should help down the line with internships and what not too.

Lowering final call from 4-7" to 3-6". A little worried we great screwed in between best snow from primary and best snow from coastal. Snow is snow, and even though I'm working I'll enjoy it. Won't be able to provide totals until after 9pm though.

yeah i could see central MA getting screwed a bit due to some subsidence from the coastal.

I feel decent for about 4" here. BUF went with WWA...could see 5" if things go right...or maybe only 2" if things go wrong.

It definitely feels like winter for once, I hope this continues.

This is like 2009-2010 for the mid-atlantic in BUF for synoptic snows....lol. Usually its hard there to get more than 1-3" in a synoptic event...the hills southeast do better, but BUF itself and the lower spots north of the escarpment never do well synoptically. Looks like an epic one followed now by a pretty solid one.

Was that modeled?

Yes but the models were playing catchup for 2 days. And even now, the banded precip in response to strong mid-level forcing is exceeding this afternoon's forecast totals. If it translates eastward there could be some good snows with this feature in parts of PA and SNY tomorrow.

This is like 2009-2010 for the mid-atlantic in BUF for synoptic snows....lol. Usually its hard there to get more than 1-3" in a synoptic event...the hills southeast do better, but BUF itself and the lower spots north of the escarpment never do well synoptically. Looks like an epic one followed now by a pretty solid one.

that was 2007-2008 lol. 12incher in December followed by a 21incher in March. The most epic period of synoptic snow in my memory would have to be December 2008 when we got about 40" of synoptic from 3 snowstorms in about 18 days. (I happened to be visiting from Bermuda at the time.)

BUF is no stranger to minor to moderate synoptic snowstorms..it's just the biggies that tend to be more elusive.

It still doesn't quite feel great yet, I want to see some lake-effect mixed in. Euro offers some chances later next week.

that was 2007-2008 lol. 12incher in December followed by a 21incher in March. The most epic period of synoptic snow in my memory would have to be December 2008 when we got about 40" of synoptic from 3 snowstorms in about 18 days. (I happened to be visiting from Bermuda at the time.)

BUF is no stranger to minor to moderate synoptic snowstorms..it's just the biggies that tend to be more elusive.

It still doesn't quite feel great yet, I want to see some lake-effect mixed in. Euro offers some chances later next week.

I was def exaggerating a bit. But its always like pulling teeth to get a 5"+ synoptic event in C/W NY. So often we'd get 2-4 in ITH and across much of the west of the region. Those weenie areas with Ontario enhancement would obviously do better, but it was always a task.

But you are def right...getting the 8"+ events are awful...and even worse are the 12"+ events using a linear scale....i.e. the 12" events are much harder than 8" events even accounting for the fact that 12" is harder to begin with all else equal.

Archived