g0ldl10n
    Newest Member
    g0ldl10n
12/30 Coastal Part II - Snowing Our Way Into NYE

Clinch Leatherwood

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted about it as a joke...in all honesty, the NAM hasn't been any better recently.

Even the SREFs have been pretty cruddy recently too. The meso models as a whole have not had their finest winter so far. Which is unfortunate, because this is the type of event where the mesos might be more useful....but since we can't trust them at all right now, we are left waiting for the globals to come out and only talk about the mesos in passing.

Not that it should have any bearing on this event ... but the NAM was actually pretty good on this last system with the exception of the llv temperature fields - which is odd; you'd think the resolution would have been colder during the first half to 2/3rd of the event. But it's low placement was pretty darn good in the end.

Yeah, I've noticed the WSI RPM jump in precip... warm and unstable easterly flow can help trigger some mesoscale banding... have to keep an eye on the 700 mb isobars. If the isobars begin to tighten, intensifying due to frontal forcing is possible. Also have to keep an eye on the RH values... near 90 % and strong lift is present in the mid layers is best case for development. Also, the most important region to focus on for possible snow banding is where peak dendritic growth could occur. Temperatures between -5 °C and -30 °C are most conducive to snow crystallization.

Whatever happened to our AMWX WRF?

heh...I run it now, but I put it briefly into hibernation until Johnwow was ready with the web interface for it. The computer it runs on (the beast) is loud and scary...it sounds like a helicopter coming in for a landing and it has so many blue LEDs I feel like I'm in a night club.

Yeah it's worth a look but it rarely sways my decision making process. I never show it on tv for snow or rain totals.

Good to know. We just got TruVu Max at PSU and now can obviously use the RPM in our products...trying to figure out its strengths and weaknesses. Heard that you made our current graphics way back in the day when you were a student there!

Not direct comparison wrt to strength and totals, but 12/09/05 had lp over buzz bay and heaviest snow into nw mass. Where do meso's track the lp comp w globals. Any response greatly appreciated as I'm on mobile and can't look at it

This is the last thing I wanted to read as I prepare myself for 2". :)

Leading edge of precip is now into SW PA (at least the returns are).

NAM clown: http://wxcaster.com/...3?STATIONID=OKX

Congrats Ryan, Wiz, Chris M and whoever is in the Berks

What is this map? The title says "New Snow or Snow Depth". Since we already have more than it says we're going to have, it's not snow depth. But, LOL about 'new snow'. What ass are they pulling that out of?

stay the course. sne snowbelt.

That makes me laugh every time.

Archived