Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December 26th - 27th Blizzard Part 4

Powerball

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lmaoo, lazy canuck? Haha. Its quite windy outside still, I think winds picked up since the last time I went. If I go out in about 15 mins from now I'm assuming its going to be around 10cm given the rate its falling at now.

Looks like some 30 dbz specks developing over Lake Ontario about to move in. Hopefully they survive the trip.

It's probably falling at a rate of 1-1.5 (~0.5") / hr. So I don't think it'll be that high. I measured 6.2 cm (2.4") at midnight and so I'd guess I'm at about 7.5cm (3") right now.

Looks like some 30 dbz specks developing over Lake Ontario about to move in. Hopefully they survive the trip.

It's probably falling at a rate of 1-1.5 (~0.5") / hr. So I don't think it'll be that high. I measured 6.2 cm (2.4") at midnight and so I'd guess I'm at about 7.5cm (3") right now.

yeah hopefully we can squeeze in something through the next hour or so. I'd assume more, perhaps 8.5cm. The snow did pick-up in intensity since then, but even now its falling quite moderately.

yeah hopefully we can squeeze in something through the next hour or so. I'd assume more, perhaps 8.5cm. The snow did pick-up in intensity since then, but even now its falling quite moderately.

Honestly, it's tough measuring in these winds. Ideally you want to put a couple of snowboards out so you can take multiple measurements over a large area. But even then, it can be tricky. I might be lowballing us, or you might be high. Tough to tell. Just do your best. Make sure though that you're not clearing the board (or whatever you're measuring off of) after each measurement within 6 hours,

Honestly, it's tough measuring in these winds. Ideally you want to put a couple of snowboards out so you can take multiple measurements over a large area. But even then, it can be tricky. I might be lowballing us, or you might be high. Tough to tell. Just do your best. Make sure though that you're not clearing the board (or whatever you're measuring off of) after each measurement within 6 hours,

I take various measurements all across and then see which of them is most common, and I don't clear it, usually by the time I go out to measure again its covered by the snow, so everything's good. The wind can make it really hard but based on the direction, I try to measure places away from it. I can only imagine Pearson's numbers tomorrow LOL.

Took some final measurements...ended up with around 6". Snow depth between 7-9".

I think what surprised me the most about this storm, at least IMBY, was how well the snow was able to accumulate despite all day not really once seeing a legit dendrite. Was just like a white powder outside all day. Never got really heavy either...minimum visibility was a 1/4 mile and that was mostly due to blowing snow. And yet it still managed to give me a solid half foot here. The Christmas Eve coating we got probably did wonders to that end, actually.

Pics to follow.

Storm total of 6.3" imby, water content of 0.44". Very pleased! We were at around 4.8" after the low-visibility stuff stopped around 6:30pm and then the following 11 hours of persistent light snow tacked on another (and I might add much easier to measure lol) 1.5". And its gorgeous out there, from the fresh blanket and the sculpted drifts to the snowbanks...it suddenly looks like deep winter. Will be taking some pics shortly, here are two from last night

3322-800.jpg

3321-800.jpg

Storm totals still coming in, and will be for the next few hours, but an early trend I notice. The storm track and transfer seemed to be about as modeled, yet the snow amounts were so off. DTW got more snow than the much-hyped CLE or CMH, but DTW got less than its own northern suburbs. In fact, some northern burbs of Detroit got TWICE the snow many areas around Columbus and some areas around Cleveland did, but it wasnt even a matter of snow being too wet (why many places in the WI/IA storm busted low on accums) it was because qpf was ridiculously overdone on every model, and likewise, qpf was underdone in much of SE MI. Dryslots are one thing, as is convection, but any explanation on why such the qpf/snowfall disparity when the track/transfer went pretty much as modeled?

Noticed almost of sharp cutoff on snow totals while traversing the area for work today. Areas south of 8mile seem to be pinned under that 6" mark yet north of say 15mile, there are frequent areas pushing 7.5-8". Central Oakland county FTW.

Looks like a couple spots in the city got less than 5" as is the case here on east side of detroit Mack and Mt Eliot.

Awesome pictures guys! :snowman: Glad you guys pulled off a storm finally this year.

It's our turn back to the west now! :P

Haha, that green light is odd looking! ...maybe the Hulk lives in hm8's backyard! :lol:

SSC: Who was the big winner in the Toronto metro?

Noticed almost of sharp cutoff on snow totals while traversing the area for work today. Areas south of 8mile seem to be pinned under that 6" mark yet north of say 15mile, there are frequent areas pushing 7.5-8". Central Oakland county FTW.

Looks like a couple spots in the city got less than 5" as is the case here on east side of detroit Mack and Mt Eliot.

Hmm..interesting that you think some spots had less than 5", though I suppose its possible especially in the heart of the city. Wayne county reports so far include:

Grosse Pte Farms: 6.8"

Detroit: 6.5" (Ithielz)

Wyandotte: 6.3" (mby)

DTW: 6.2"

Garden City: 5.4"

Also interested in a final reading from..

Livonia: 6.2" at 1am pns

Riverview: 5.2" at 830pm pns

Taylor: 4.5" at 7pm pns

Woodhaven: 4.5" at 7pm pns

Awesome pictures guys! :snowman: Glad you guys pulled off a storm finally this year.

It's our turn back to the west now! :P

Haha, that green light is odd looking! ...maybe the Hulk lives in hm8's backyard! :lol:

It is your turn.. No complaing from me unless... who am I kidding I'm always going to complain :P

Archived