• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December 20-22 Major Winter Storm Part 3

Hoosier

First time I've actually watched this happen...

Still 39/37 at the surface, but if you look up in the sky you can actually see the heavy snow aloft. Every time there's a decent wind gust some flakes are carried down to the surface before they're able to melt. Interesting to watch the process, as you can see the snow making it farther down as time goes on.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time I've actually watched this happen...

Still 39/37 at the surface, but if you look up in the sky you can actually see the heavy snow aloft. Every time there's a decent wind gust some flakes are carried down to the surface before they're able to melt. Interesting to watch the process, as you can see the snow making it farther down as time goes on.

nice description! very cool

Radar really looking good with a steady moderate snow at the moment, along with plenty of wind to blow it around. The one caveat is it was difficult to get accumulation very quickly at first, due to the amount of heavy rain that fell prior to the changeover. Now that it's dark, that process is becoming a tad easier, along with slowly falling or steady temps.

yikes PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL

426 PM CST THU DEC 20 2012

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0230 PM BLIZZARD 8 N GALESBURG 41.07N 90.38W

12/20/2012 KNOX IL LAW ENFORCEMENT

JACK-KNIFED SEMI ACROSS BOTH LANES OF

WESTBOUND/NORTHBOUND INTERSTATE 74 BLOCKING TRAFFIC. CARS

BACKED UP 8 MILES IN BOTH LANES AS OF 430 PM.

Wow-Snow is coming down at a really amazing pace here on the east side of Kenosha. About 1.7 miles from the lake. Snow is covering cars and some grassy areas. An amazing amount of rain today--despite the reports coming from the north and west, I'm glad to have seen that much water landing.

Hoping for a few hours of snow at this pace.....

http://www.rwic.und.edu/cache/loop.html

And Andy, sweet photos. Thanks so much for posting those for the snow starved. And congrats on getting shellacked. :)

No worries, been a blast!

So, I might get banned for saying this, but IMHO and from MY perspective, this storm has been better GHD. Now, I was up in Sheboygan and we didn't the brunt of the storm for GHD but it was still pretty sweet. For OVERALL experience, this has been better.

We are going to be pushing 20" when all said and done. I'm not even going to bother trying to measure at this point. Will wait to til the morning and see what I can do.

Good luck to the rest of you that are now seeing snow!

Seeing reports on various social media pages of mix falling in Indianapolis.

Indy could do well, relatively speaking. Seems radar has the southern part of the band (in central IL) pointed at them...as long as it holds together as it heads east. Getting re-dryslotted here in the LAF. Was nice to see some flakes while they lasted.

Archived