• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December 20-22 Major Winter Storm Part 3

Hoosier

Just went to look at Chicago's weather for the night. I cannot believe they issued a WSW! amazing

Im glad DTX didnt bite the WWA bug that all offices surrounding us did. Even if we get 1-2" (Im just hoping for 1") it will not affect travel as the roads will be wet. I look to last Feb 10/11, NO advisory at all listed, even though the heart of DTW area got 4-5", and 3" of that fell in 2 hours, blizzard conditions, and horrible roads (our one shining moment last winter). Yet on Feb 23/24 we had a WSW for 2-3" that barely stuck to the roads. I know forecasts/models bust all the time, but sometimes you have to look at other factors that will lead to the road conditions, which is technically the point of advisories and warnings.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmmmmmmmmm

0600 PM HEAVY SNOW MIDDLETON 43.10N 89.51W

12/20/2012 M19.5 INCH DANE WI CO-OP OBSERVER

1.4 INCHES OF SNOW IN PAST 1 HOUR. 12.4 INCHES SINCE 7 AM

TODAY. STORM TOTAL IS 19.5 INCHES. CURRENTLY BLOWING AND

DRIFTING SNOW.

"run of the mill" happens all the time in MBY

Yes, I was in LAF this morning and headed back this morning. Friend texted me say that it was sleeting in downtown Lafayette a bit ago. Think I made the right choice!

Yeah, good call. South/southeast of here will do well it looks like. Doing nothing here now...and prospects look dim. The bit of slush on my car from earlier is gone as temps are rising a bit. Oy vey.

Your right last nights runs did show a 4-7 inch event.

I think the big issue is that you almost never see decent snow from cutters when the low passes essentially overhead...especially if even the most bullish models show the dryslot knocking on the door. It was a pretty bad call but it happens and given the extreme period without snow and winds, i can see why they did it.

cedar rapids totals are a bummer...easily the biggest bust in the region.

Well, considering that the snow was very wet in nature and stuck to trees/etc BEFORE the winds picked up, it caused numerous power outages in Cedar Rapids. Had we gotten the forecast of 12-15 inches, essentially 90% of the city would have been in the dark.

Anyways, February 5, 2008 was a wet snow event and I got 14 inches BUT there was hardly any wind with it.

I've mentioned this before. Wet snow and high winds do not mix.

Well, considering that the snow was very wet in nature and stuck to trees/etc BEFORE the winds picked up, it caused numerous power outages in Cedar Rapids. Had we gotten the forecast of 12-15 inches, essentially 90% of the city would have been in the dark.

Anyways, February 5, 2008 was a wet snow event and I got 14 inches BUT there was hardly any wind with it.

I've mentioned this before. Wet snow and high winds do not mix.

How much did you get?

Yeah, good call. South/southeast of here will do well it looks like. Doing nothing here now...and prospects look dim. The bit of slush on my car from earlier is gone as temps are rising a bit. Oy vey.

-SN and 33 now at LAF. Some more flurries... On the wind side, the winds are slowly ticking up with each update.

About 4-5 inches. The average accumulation in Cedar Rapids was 6 inches, half of what was forecast. My electricity flickered several times this morning and a couple times this afternoon.

:yikes: you are taking it like a good sport. If that happened in one of the areas with more posters this board would crash. A consolation (if you are into snowcover) is that snow and its high water content isnt going anywhere with no mild air in sight.

I live in champaign and I can honestly say, we might have an inch of snow on the ground, but winds are cranked around 40mph gusting over 50 quite often! Looking out my window, snow coming down at a decent clip, visibility is very poor right now.

Winds are howling so loud, have to turn the volume up on the tv lol. 58 mph gust reported in Decatur earlier

Still got power here. Have about a T on the roads and grassy areas, looks like but not going to last very long.

I saw a report of outages in and around Lebanon. And congrats on the coating.

-SN and 33 now at LAF. Some more flurries... On the wind side, the winds are slowly ticking up with each update.

Well, that was quick then. And yeah, 44 mph gust at last ob. Be nice to get one to 50...

I took this picture this afternoon in my backyard in Madison. At the time I had gotten about 12-13" Now it's around 15" but it's blowing around and drifting so much it's hard to be sure.

Power has been flickering recently so crossing my fingers it stays on. Still snowing lightly but really windy and a lot of drifting.

post-8419-0-61576700-1356056232_thumb.jp

Archived