Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
JB, DT and Other Banter Thread

Ottawa Blizzard

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if anyone saw DT's latest video. When he discusses the rest of the winter his entire premise that January and February will turnaround is based on a continuing dramatic rise in the QBO which was strongly negative for quite awhile. He shows some pretty strong evidence of past winters in which the QBO began to rise from strongly negative values in the fall and thru Dec and how those Decembers were warm and switched to cold in Jan and Feb.

It was a good video, but it just seemed odd that he was throwing all his eggs into one big indice basket. It was his only argument, (that and the Oct. euroasia snowcover pardigym). I can't help to wonder if that is also a convenient out. IOW, if the QBO numbers next month flatten out or fall, and Jan and Feb torch, he can say see I told you so. If the QBO numbers rise and we have a good Jan and Feb he can say see I told you so. If the QBO numbers fall and we still have a good Jan and Feb no one will care why, and his original forecast holds. Kinda brilliant.

I was watching DT's videos today... and he does have a point about how the QBO needs to trend towards neutral (which it is doing) in order to slow down the Pacific Jet. So the jet will stop pushing cold air off into the Atlantic. IMO that's the index to watch this month. And I'm wondering if B. Andersen's maps today have something to do with the change in that index.

DT was totally trashing JB on his Facebook page today. I wonder if those two have a rivalry?

Problem with DT's outlook is that he includes December 1970 in his comparison to this December. The two months couldn't have been more different, at least up in Ontario, Quebec and northern New York.

I think so. If you ever see JB mention the "Virginia Vigilante", he is referring to DT.

DT is calling for a major cooldown following the late week storm. Looks frigid on Christmas Eve/Day with lake effect snow too.

Has DT seen the 00z euro.... far west cutter...huge ridge in east. Downright TORCH.

He has been just as bad as jb this season. He flip-flopped on this coming weeks storm about 4 times. Basically riding each model run to futility and embarassment.

As far as JB goes....there are simply are no words to describe his forecasting failure this month.

Has DT seen the 00z euro.... far west cutter...huge ridge in east. Downright TORCH.

He has been just as bad as jb this season. He flip-flopped on this coming weeks storm about 4 times. Basically riding each model run to futility and embarassment.

As far as JB goes....there are simply are no words to describe his forecasting failure this month.

These past two winters are exposing these meteorologist. Cannot be good for business

Just a friendly reminder....JB about a week ago....

"For the nation as a whole, it is unlikely that you or I will ever see this kind of set up around the time of the holidays again, where almost everyone north of I 20 has a shot, and the center from west to east is along I 70. I will be darn if being a few days late ( if its snowing already in the northeast next week at this time, are you really going to be upset) is going to get me to back away. I may be wrong, but quite literally that is not what the modeling is saying at all.

to quote Adam Sandler ( BTW happy Hanukkah to all my Jewish friends...consider these maps a snowy shalom)

These past two winters are exposing these meteorologist. Cannot be good for business

This. Have you noticed how JB has become infinitely worse since he moved to Weatherbell. And that is a start up company!! The company's first two winter forecasts turning out to be busts. Basically shows how it's not good to have business that relies on accurate weather forecasting. Weather is an incomplete science and you really roll the dice with forecasts. At the rate they're going, weatherbell is going to lose more and more subscribers as people are just not going to pay for continually bad forecasts.

Just a friendly reminder....JB about a week ago....

"For the nation as a whole, it is unlikely that you or I will ever see this kind of set up around the time of the holidays again, where almost everyone north of I 20 has a shot, and the center from west to east is along I 70. I will be darn if being a few days late ( if its snowing already in the northeast next week at this time, are you really going to be upset) is going to get me to back away. I may be wrong, but quite literally that is not what the modeling is saying at all.

to quote Adam Sandler ( BTW happy Hanukkah to all my Jewish friends...consider these maps a snowy shalom)

His forecasts are becoming a joke. Even the UK is nowhere near as cold as he was hyping it to be a couple of weeks go. He is so determined to disprove AGW that he forecasts cold all the time. This is going to end up like 2001-2002.

Archived