Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December Forecast Discussion

Wow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on the warm Dec./Jan. analysis I just posted, I'm rooting on the old Euro runs' late Dec. major Arctic outbreak scenario more than ever as my feeling about January wintry precip. potential and cold potential would be much better vs. if we don't get that Arctic outbreak. If we don't get it, climo tells me there is little reason to be optimistic about Jan 2013. If we get it, climo says it could easily be party time. So, I'm going to watch the about to be released 0Z Thu Euro very carefully.

Regardless, I'm not expecting any sig. wintry precip. this month at KATL.

I'm telling the Moles we want it down near 0 after Xmas!! Meanwhle, I don't think we can ignore the GFS's recent talent in sniffing out rains, for my backyard, anyway, after having no rain for so long. Once again today, right on cue, it is raining. Pretty impressive to my amature mind :) The totals so far don't match with yesterdays Meteostar, but it ain't over yet!

And the 6z depiction of the Xmas storm seems more likely to me as it shows a less exhuberant system thru Ga. anyway. When Goofy throws up a two headed monster, I get a little leery. T

Just from a cursory glance the high over the lakes isn't of sufficient strength (generally want ~1035 mb+) and it's also a bit further north than you'd like to see. I wouldn't expect much frozen precip even in the favored damming regions of NC and southward from that. That's just strictly taking this model verbatim...

Edit: The only exception might be in the higher elevations on the backside.

Just from a cursory glance the high over the lakes isn't of sufficient strength (generally want ~1035 mb+) and it's also a bit further north than you'd like to see. I wouldn't expect much frozen precip even in the favored damming regions of NC and southward from that. That's just strictly taking this model verbatim...

It seems as if the trend over the last 24 hours is for a weaker storm. The 6 gefs showed this too.

The trend from 00z is southeastward at the surface, and the models are also finally picking up on more of a high over the lakes region, which I've been waiting on due to the confluence in that region. Unless the 50/50 low comes back southward I don't know that the high over the lakes can trend much stronger than currently shown though. It's also discouraging that even with a high in a decent position that the GFS didn't have us colder than it did.

This Goofy run is the best/most entertaining run of the season to date and one of the best in several years with one of the biggest and most widepread SE snowstorms being modeled for days 11-13 as well as it being about the coldest run for the SE US for days 7-16 for the season to date with nearly nonstop cold. Keep your sanity, folks, but also keep hope alive.

Besides the modeled snowstorm, getting cold late this month would be quite helpful climowise since it would bring Dec.'s warmth down just enough to help Jan. correlations to cold/wintry precip.

Even though it is 11-13 days out, imo this is the timeframe (~1/1) to look for a potential major SE winter storm as the cold is more in play and the last four GFS runs in a row all have a very wet storm for around the new year. It appears that its packet of energy and moisture may be traceable to something that is currently in the far western Pacific. After moving eastward days 1-7, it then takes a sharp dive SSEward in the E Pac. days 7-9, thanks interestingly enough to the -PNA steering, before then making a turn to the east and making a beeline toward the SE US, where it arrives days 11-13 in a collision with the southern extent of Arctic air, which is forced down due to nice blocking. It is important to note that this general idea occurs on each of the last four runs of the GFS with very similar timing.

That reminds me off jan. 2nd 2001 or 2002. I forget bc I went to Outback Bowl both years, but on the way home hit blizzard conditions prior to getting to Jacksonville on my way home to Cola.

Wow, although it is at 300hrs GFS shows a big winter storm for the SE with plenty of cold. It has been showing this system on several runs now, will be something to watch.

12zgfs850mbTSLPp12312.gif

Archived