Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December Forecast Discussion

Wow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles are quite a bit different than the operation on the 26th storm. They bring 5h low much further south and HP is in much better position(1040mb sitting over north dakota at hour 168). The models have backed off a bit w/ the 50/50 low today, so hopefully that trends back towards a stronger scenario.

so hope is still there for the nc mtns and foothills for next week on the cold and snow? still any chance of the storm going south and east of us?

18z GFS is coming out

* Better chance at light snow showers in east TN and in the mountains after the front passes Thursday Night

* It still looks like WV could get almost a foot of snow with this next front

* The post Christmas storm is now a little further south bringing (possibly) accumulating snow into west, middle, and possibly east TN. I'll have to double check the models later to make sure.

so hope is still there for the nc mtns and foothills for next week on the cold and snow? still any chance of the storm going south and east of us?

Seems unlikely for a couple days now this would be a snow situation. The SLP will be interior, the question is just the HP placement and 5h setup over the northeast/canada.

If ever there was a run we want to hope for in the LR it's the 18z...cold air in place with storm after storm coming out of the gulf. Probably not going to happen but oh did it look beautiful.

The negative tilt on that was unbelievable. If the tilt is that negative the direction matters less as the rain to snow change over will happen further east on the south side of the low.

This is still too far out though. We'll know more after this Friday.

... A large winter storm may impact Oklahoma and western North Texas sometime around Christmas night...

A rapidly evolving upper storm system will move into The Rockies

early next week near Christmas eve. The storm then appears it

will move across portions of Kansas... Oklahoma... and Texas late

Christmas night through Wednesday. Snowfall will accompany this

storm system. Although it is still too early to determine exact

snowfall amounts and the precise timing of the system... some

locations could experience white out or blizzard conditions.

Travel may become treacherous late Christmas night and the day

after Christmas... especially across portions of Oklahoma. Be

prepared to have your travel arrangements cancelled or changed

for the upcoming Holiday. Monitor the latest updates from the

National Weather Service as more accurate information becomes

available later this week.

Refresher on CAD for folks:

Cold air damming, or CAD, is a meteorological phenomenon that involves a high pressure system interacting with local geographic features. A cold-air damming situation typically involves a high pressure system located poleward of a mountain range. The flow around the high runs up against the mountains, forming a barrier jet which funnels cool air down a narrow stretch of land in front of the mountains. Resultant weather associated with this feature is persistent cloudiness and precipitation which can linger for long periods of time

220px-ColdAirDamming.png

The GFS ensembles are interesting similar to the EURO ensembles. Several of those members are certainly icestorm material.

f168.gif

And then i see this ensemble mean and i say to myself, how can that vort in the southwest go anywhere but the tn valley and be forced to redevelop. The blocking scheme just screams miller b to me.

f180.gif

guys pretty sure there was pretty good signs that the blocking was being broken down faster......thought we agreed on that, did you really expect things to just poof happen overnight......LOTS of TIME models still do not have a handle on blocking IMO there will be more BIG swings and they are to be expected, this time tom. who knows what they gonna show, patience is the key at this time

I would think at this point, barring any surprises, it is time to look at January as being our first chance at winter. Basically, climo supports that anyway. Honestly, I'm too tired to dig this up...but how does the ENSO look for Jan-Feb. GaWx, you got that? If we are in Nina territory, may be tough luck. However, if we can hold neutral eventually the -AO has to win. PNA is driving the cart right now. May drive to the mtns this weekend if they get the expected upslope.

Just looking at Meteostar. Gfs is giving me around 3/4's in a day or two, then some negative value 850's, then a good inch and a quarter. Seems pretty typical a winter forecast to me. Some cold sandwiched in between some rain. I'll take that as a long range model guess, If I only get a few chances at frozen each winter, then I'm all for having rain involved, as it helps make the sleet fall, lol. So far, lately, the Gfs has been verifying on rain, and close to totals, in mby. I'd say that was a good thing for a long range guess. Got to keep the little things in focus, and enjoy them. If it continues to verify the rains it projects then this will be a great, great winter. And if I get my two or three chances for cold to meet some gulf rain, then I'll be happy come spring. Of course, I may be a great simpleton, lol. but I hate drought worse than even bad ice storms. T

So far the 0z gfs appears to be a little different tonight. So far I'm out to hr 183 and it has not closed off the system in Tx.

yes. It's a whole new different look. Has a lp going up the tennessee valley on Christmas eve/day. Hopefully that will pull down some colder air for a late week storm.

TW

yes. It's a whole new different look. Has a lp going up the tennessee valley on Christmas eve/day. Hopefully that will pull down some colder air for a late week storm.

TW

That's what I'm hoping, but so far we don't have the cold. We'll have to see where this goes.

Archived