BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
December Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quality??? Haahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha. This is it man.

Was afraid of that. Looked at Talkweather. Respectfully, I think many outside of the Carolinas have taken their discussion elsewhere - not exactly a ringing endorsement of how things are being handled here. The quality of conversation has dropped as the discussion has become overly regionalized. You don't see the TN crew posting much anymore? Correct. This place is becoming like a football board. Folks will say things from behind their computer screens that they would never say in person.

(edited...2:49PM)

Round 2 Arkansas

Had to update earlier for freeze fog holding on in a few spots across

central Arkansas. Should be able to take out with late morning update.

Otherwise will have to lower temperatures this afternoon with more

extensive upper cloud cover streaming over Arkansas which will limit

heating. Also snow cover will add to cooler temperatures. A light southeast flow

has returned to Arkansas as the surface high has moved east. Tonight is

shaping up for another quick winter weather scenario with a mix of

rain freeze rain sleet and snow late to Friday morning. At this time

uncertain how much precipitation will occur but may need a Winter Weather

Advisory or freeze rain advisory. Will make decision later. (59)

Short term...tonight through Saturday night

widely scattered...somewhat transient areas of freezing fog have

been noted early this morning across central and southern

sections of the forecast area early this morning. Overall impacts

appear to be minimal..as roadways are already dangerous due to

recent winter precipitation.

image1.gif

I think the blogs might have kept some mets off the boards. Also, seems more mets are just busier now and can't post as often. Or maybe it's just because this winter has been pretty bad so far so there really isn't anything exciting to post about yet. But it would help if the banter was kept to here. I think people are just frustrated, though, with folks being so optimistic about things in regards to winter weather and it never happening. A lot of regular folks see it as people crying wolf.

To be fair, NC always had the most posters. I can think of a hand full that will show up when something is set to happen. I feel that those folks still check this place daily but might not post as much for many reasons. Most of these folks have been around a good while, like myself. I never will understand the back and forth some have on here. Maybe it is because I personally could care less if I get the last word.. Or maybe it is that I do not know a lot about weather. Either way, I will continue to make my daily trip to this section of the internet every day. I enjoy your posts and hope you stick around.

Was afraid of that. Looked at Talkweather. Respectfully, I think many outside of the Carolinas have taken their discussion elsewhere - not exactly a ringing endorsement of how things are being handled here. The quality of conversation has dropped as the discussion has become overly regionalized. You don't see the TN crew posting much anymore? Correct. This place is beoming like a football board. Folks will say things from behind their computer screens that they would never say in person.

(edited...2:49PM)

To be fair, NC always had the most posters. I can think of a hand full that will show up when something is set to happen. I feel that those folks still check this place daily but might not post as much for many reasons. Most of these folks have been around a good while, like myself. I never will understand the back and forth some have on here. Maybe it is because I personally could care less if I get the last word.. Or maybe it is that I do not know a lot about weather. Either way, I will continue to make my daily trip to this section of the internet every day. I enjoy your posts and hope you stick around.

I hear your point on the longtimers. It's not so much a case of grabbing my toys and going home...but even the diversity from Carolinas is thinning. I'll be around. I was actually wondering if folks weren't drifting to other boards as evidenced by the absences of some longtimers. As a matter of fact, I miss the posters who used to bust everyone's chops for wishcasting.

I hear your point on the longtimers. It's not so much a case of grabbing my toys and going home...but even the diversity from Carolinas is thinning. I'll be around. I was actually wondering if folks weren't drifting to other boards as evidenced by the absences of some longtimers. As a matter of fact, I miss the posters who used to bust everyone's chops for wishcasting.

+1

I think most, like myself, have families now and other issues to take care off. Or have other weather jobs pay for their knowledge. Or just do not care to go on and on with others around here. Yes, I miss those days also...

I personally think that until that snow melts in Arkansas and other like places such as Maine the water cycle is somewhat disrupted and over here in the tundra we won't get meaningful precipitation...when we even do have the cold air near...IF we do even get that.

Well that's just my rant for today anyhow...

Um, huh?

How do you read one of these?

post-4284-0-95247800-1356648748.png

In short... The temperature lines (degree C) go up & right and are blue (in this image). If you're looking for snow.. You want the right white line (in this image), also known as the temperature profile line, to be to the left of the 0 C line for the entire graph. You also want the left white line, dew point profile, to be as close to the temperature line as possible. If you see either of those lines nudge to the right of the 0C line around 800/900 mb (pressure lines which are the horizontal white lines) then back to the left of the 0C line, then you're looking at sleet/freezing rain, depending on how far up it goes back left.

How do you read one of these?

post-4284-0-95247800-1356648748.png

That is an isothermal sounding with a cold nose.....Meaning you have a deep layer of the atmosphere near freezing. That is snow sounding as it is depicted with saturation all the way up to the snow growth region at -10C. Also, surface temps are below freezing as well. The winds are shown to the right. There is a light north-east wind at the surface and south-west wind as you climb higher up. Hope this helps....

Archived