Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
December Banter

WilkesboroDude

There will be respect. Period.

Listen up folks, I WILL NOT TOLERATE any met bashing at AMWX. I've had enough of this and if I see it happen again you won't get a warning, you will be gone. All red taggers will be respected and if you disagree with what is being said, you better have scientific/meteorologic facts to back you up.

I would hope that if something like this happens again it gets reported.

The SE Crew is the best amwx has to offer and it will stay that way.

+1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw Matthew East's video for today. Now I am starting to get excited again about the possible storm around Christmas. East had this to say on the blog today.

The 0z GFS came in with a wild solution, bombing out a low as it moved right overhead through the Carolinas. This is a big eastward jump from previous runs.

European was also different.

Bottom line is I have zero confidence in the timing or track of that low at the moment.

Sounds like anything is really possible now! But I'd love for that run of the GFS to happen.

I guess some mods don't want you to make even general statements about the forecast in the forecast thread, even if it is about the forecast thread, and was a reply to other general posts about the forecast for December. Maybe if they would actually keep this to weather banter instead of the off-topic thread it would be better, too.

I guess some mods don't want you to make even general statements about the forecast in the forecast thread, even if it is about the forecast thread, and was a reply to other general posts about the forecast for December. Maybe if they would actually keep this to weather banter instead of the off-topic thread it would be better, too.

That's exactly right, they don't want YOU making GENERAL statements because you make them sound like you are just talking to hear yourself talk. Just clarify with some science to back up a general statement and you'l be fine. How difficult is that?

That's exactly right, they don't want YOU making GENERAL statements because you make them sound like you are just talking to hear yourself talk. Just clarify with some science to back up a general statement and you'l be fine. How difficult is that?

How do you make something sound on a message board? Anyway, the reply was for two other general statements about the system around Christmas. I think some folks just take themselves too seriously.

Maybe I'll just reply to everything in this thread instead.

How do you make something sound on a message board? Anyway, the reply was for two other general statements about the system around Christmas. I think some folks just take themselves too seriously.

Maybe I'll just reply to everything in this thread instead.

A better post would be, "based on what I've just seen on the 12z GFS the 850 lines looks like it might just make it down into the SE area before our system gets here but still too close to call" as opposed to "looks like from what everyone is saying I might see some snow".

Or another example of good would be, "12z GFS digs our energy and holds it back while the Euro just sling shot it eastward causing the system to go to the lakes" as opposed to "wow looks like the models don't know what is going on, I would rather get 3 feet of snow then a flurry at the end of the storm".

I don't expect you to understand but I've tried.

A better post would be, "based on what I've just seen on the 12z GFS the 850 lines looks like it might just make it down into the SE area before our system gets here but still too close to call" as opposed to "looks like from what everyone is saying I might see some snow".

Or another example of good would be, "12z GFS digs our energy and holds it back while the Euro just sling shot it eastward causing the system to go to the lakes" as opposed to "wow looks like the models don't know what is going on, I would rather get 3 feet of snow then a flurry at the end of the storm".

I don't expect you to understand but I've tried.

I get what you're saying. It's just that other folks do the same thing with general posts there and it's okay.

What not to post in the December disco thread:

1) ANYTHING WITHOUT DISCO. This goes for maps, links, general statements... ex. "The models look to be trending in the right direction, lets hope it stays that way....we'll see what the runs bring us tonight." or "This run doesn't look right to be, toss it."

That's it. That's the list. Just think if you're someone reading would you gain anything from what you're adding to the thread? If the answer is no, post it in the banter thread. How hard is it to discuss what you're posting for everyone to see? Apparently pretty hard...WHY do you want people to view your image or link so much that you post it to a forum? DISCO DISCO DISCO people. That's why its called "December Forecast DISCUSSION"

What not to post in the December disco thread:

1) ANYTHING WITHOUT DISCO. This goes for maps, links, general statements... ex. "The models look to be trending in the right direction, lets hope it stays that way....we'll see what the runs bring us tonight." or "This run doesn't look right to be, toss it."

That's it. That's the list. Just think if you're someone reading would you gain anything from what you're adding to the thread? If the answer is no, post it in the banter thread. How hard is it to discuss what you're posting for everyone to see? Apparently pretty hard...WHY do you want people to view your image or link so much that you post it to a forum? DISCO DISCO DISCO people. That's why its called "December Forecast DISCUSSION"

It's cool. Just saying most of the discussion there is general discussion and it seems okay for some and not for others. I actually think just one thread with both discussion on the models with specifics and general comments is better anyway, as long as it is kept to the topic of the weather and the model runs and trends.

I get what you're saying. It's just that other folks do the same thing with general posts there and it's okay.

Yes much like in real life sometimes the internet is unfair. Some on here have put in the time and give valuable input so they will get away with being general once in awhile. Much like anything if you're needed you can get away with more than if you're unneeded. Think of it like being at work and you come on to hang dry wall, a year later you're still content just handing the guys doing the bulk of the work the drywall while you let them hang it, so the guys hanging it take more smoke breaks than you and you complain to the boss. What is he going to tell you? He's going to tell you you should have learned by now how to hang drywall and if you want as many smoke breaks you should learn to hang it, if not stop complaining and get back to work. You've been here for years now and refuse to learn anything. In fact you hardly ever ask any clarifying question. I've been here for years and still ask questions and look up things I don't understand. Bottom line is the more you put in the more you will be respected.

It's cool. Just saying most of the discussion there is general discussion and it seems okay for some and not for others. I actually think just one thread with both discussion on the models with specifics and general comments is better anyway, as long as it is kept to the topic of the weather and the model runs and trends.

In concept I don't disagree with a thread like that. The problem is that when someone like you posts something like, "looks like it's not going to happen based on what everyone is saying" and you totally misinterpret what everyone is saying then someone else could read this and decide it's not going to happen.....or it starts a big mess where everyone chimes in saying it's not going to happen simply because you did. This creates tons of confusion.

Sorry, I don't have the time to really research things as much as I would like. I just enjoy watching the weather. I enjoy severe storms and snow. I enjoy tracking hurricanes. I'm not a meteorologist. I'm not a scientist. I think this should be a place for those that just enjoyed following the weather, too. Like I said, I'll just stick to here since it's such a big deal to some folks. I just think everyone should be treated the same and you don't have to be an expert to enjoy following the weather.

In concept I don't disagree with a thread like that. The problem is that when someone like you posts something like, "looks like it's not going to happen based on what everyone is saying" and you totally misinterpret what everyone is saying then someone else could read this and decide it's not going to happen.....or it starts a big mess where everyone chimes in saying it's not going to happen simply because you did. This creates tons of confusion.

There seems to be confusion when you have one person seeing something good with the models and another seeing something bad. That happens all the time here, and it's not me that is reading the models and doing that. I think it would help if others that are posting on the models would be more specific sometimes with what they see, too. I'm sure there are others like me who just like following the weather in general and would appreciate more specifics so they can try to read the models, too.

Oh I don't want a red tag. Haven't earned that by a long shot. I just was lobbying to change my screen name to "met" so Michelle's "no met bashing will be tolerated" policy would protect me. I'm old and frail you know.

BTW my cats have killed several moles this week. Probably explains why I got almost no rain out of the last system.

And why you may never see rain again :) Actually, you are talking run of the mill yard moles. Weather moles have sort of a glow about them and lightening flashes from their eyes, when excited. Kittys don't have a chance against weather moles. T

Sorry, I don't have the time to really research things as much as I would like. I just enjoy watching the weather. I enjoy severe storms and snow. I enjoy tracking hurricanes. I'm not a meteorologist. I'm not a scientist. I think this should be a place for those that just enjoyed following the weather, too. Like I said, I'll just stick to here since it's such a big deal to some folks. I just think everyone should be treated the same and you don't have to be an expert to enjoy following the weather.

For as much time as you spend on here posting you have time to do some research and figure things out, you could be doing that right now instead of posting.

Maybe someone should create a January thread so we don't clutter up the Dec thread. It seems we have Euro weeklies and the CFS determined to show a cold/wet January for the SE....

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to January. I think we are going to have plenty of chances and could score a big one for our area.

Therein lies the key to this whole mess.

Maybe someone should create a January thread so we don't clutter up the Dec thread. It seems we have Euro weeklies and the CFS determined to show a cold/wet January for the SE....

It's good to see this side of you again pack...and for the record, I really have enjoyed your posts. Even the ones we *disagreed on.

Archived