BlueSkyGA
December Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From DT

12z EUROPEAN ENSEMBLE ***

1. SUMMARY ..DEC 18-19 LOW EAST COAST low looks stronger with heavy mountain snows rain on the coast

2 ARCTIC COLD FRONT arrives over AL of the eastern US DEC 20-21... Moderate eastern new England snowstorm POSsSIBLE .. heavy lake effect snows

3. HINTs... HINTs.. of a southern US snow event DEC 25-26

if the Block stays strong the snow will fall over TN VA NC MD DE maybe northern MS northern AL northern GA northern SC

See More

Seen several meteors (about 2 dozen) in 20 minutes or so in Salter Path, NC tonight! Out here for a few days. Anyone else watching?

I went out a couple of times tonight. Once @ 11pm and then 12:30am. The second time I went I saw 5 in a 10 min time span. I always find it so amazing to watch!!

Seen several meteors (about 2 dozen) in 20 minutes or so in Salter Path, NC tonight! Out here for a few days. Anyone else watching?

I went out a couple of times tonight. Once @ 11pm and then 12:30am. The second time I went I saw 5 in a 10 min time span. I always find it so amazing to watch!!

I have seen about 10 meteors over about an hour. Some of them were pretty bright and long creating a nice show!

Yes I saw about 30 or so. My teenagers talked me into letting them stay up til after midnight! Mom won't like me in the morning when the kids wont wake up at 6:30 am for school. It was a nice display of meteors on a cold nite. We all had our hot coco and blankets

http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/top-news/chances-of-a-white-christmas-are-slim-1.64553?tc=cr

Chances of a white Christmas are slim

By Steve Huffman/Times-News

Published: Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 16:27 PM.

PHOTO GALLERIES

post-christmas-whiteness-4-jpg.jpg

Never say never, but if you’re the betting type, it’s safe to wager we won’t have a white Christmas this year.

Of course, here in the Piedmont, that’s a safe bet every year.

Only once in the past 65 years have we had a measurable – an inch or more – amount of snow on Christmas. You may remember that hallowed occasion – it happened two years ago, and even then we barely made it.

On Christmas 2010, it didn’t start snowing in Alamance County until about 7 p.m. According to the National Weather Service, atPiedmont Triad International Airport in Greensboro – the official weather reporting site for Alamance County – there were 4.2 inches of snow recorded before midnight. Another 1.6 inches fell during the wee hours of Dec. 26, giving us a total of 5.8 inches.

Prior to that, you’d have to go back to 1947 to find a Christmas where a measurable amount of snow fell.

And – sorry kiddies – things aren’t looking too good for snow this Christmas, either. Long-term weather forecasts – those that project eight to 14 days out – don’t show anything encouraging in the snow department.

“Right now, it’s looking like we’re going to have near-normaltemperatures and precipitation,” said Brandon Dunstan, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Raleigh. “I’m not seeing anything that looks like snow.”

He said in order for a measurable amount of snow to fall by Christmas, a blast of arctic air is needed – something much colder than we’ve been experiencing lately. Dunstan said the good news for those longing for a white Christmas is that weather forecasts much more than five days out are subject to change.

“Check back with me in a week,” he said. “Things could change. It’s not out of the realm of possibility.”

My optimism is starting to wane for an end of December turnaround, I have been punting Dec but the last few days I have been beginning to the last 10 days could bring something....if you think about it, we are currently in a strong -AO and we have a -NAO and we are not in a wintery pattern. The models are wanting to show a more favorable pacific in the 10 day range but than loses it fairly quickly. We than look to have the AO/NAO approach neutral and with a crappy pacific looking to be a staple of this winter it could very tough the next few weeks to get things turned around. I guess the next step is for people to start saying..."well February is our best month for snow anyways...."

Darn you PDO!

poking in to say happy holidaze to my SE friends from sunny Santa Cruz, hope you guys get your white xmas you desire. I got relocated out here for work in September, guess Ill drive up to Tahoe for snow

Happy, Happy back to ya!! We may have drive to Tahoe for snow too, 'tho I'm looking for some Cad ice after Xmas, which would stink, for sure, but still beat last winter, lol. Tony

*This is not banter*

Did not know if you all have seen this yet

http://abcnews.go.co...36#.UMtl7vHN439

More Than a Dozen Killed, Including Children, at Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Just fu*king horrible.

Just horrible...I don't know if we have any posters on Americanwx from this area or close by but my thoughts and prayers go out to those in Newton, CT.

Archived