BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
December Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why am i staying up for model runs? LOL Euro sucks in terms of snow for all that was wondering.

I posted in the other forum but it gave me hope especially given what Robert said. I bet the Euro falls to the GFS...and what's funny is a few days ago the GFS actually had an ULL trekking from TX to TN in the same time frame but everyone thought it was out to lunch. Now GFS has it and people are dismissing it because of the Euro. If you look at the Euro at 12z and 00z you'll see 00z pushed the bulk of the moisture south and it takes a more favorable approach for winter. Cold air still isn't there but my pure weenie guess is the models are battling with the pattern change. I like our chances! Then again I always do.

Nice. Who's down there? Packbacker, maybe? Is he the only one?

HAH! Not buying the winter storm next week, no true cold air, the PV has retreated.

I still believe as I have always stated...

- Dec is toast, not buying any pattern flip to a colder/wintery pattern for the SE this month

- Dec-Feb will average warmer than normal

- We will have a couple of chances this winter, I don't think we get skunked

I know....two days ago the whole board has jumped, now because of some fantasy GFS storm, everyone is back.

For the record - I never jumped. Mid January is the earliest I'll ever consider it...

Is it possible that you might be missing the point? I don't think it's so much a fantasy storm that has people encouraged - it's the fact that the Pacific has shown weakness and blocking is landing some body shots. I do not believe it will snow here next week. But what many (including most METS) have been saying this whole time is that a step down change is coming. Some people who refuse to look beyond model runs or any possibility of the Pacific losing ground jumped wholeheartedly and made damn sure they let everyone know. Now that Ivan Drago has been cut, the people are starting to chant.

It's not about a fantasy storm (which btw next Tuesday barely qualifies at this point) - it's the consensus that we probably won't be as bad off as last year - and now guidance is beginning to show it more consistently.

HAH! Not buying the winter storm next week, no true cold air, the PV has retreated.

I still believe as I have always stated...

- Dec is toast, not buying any pattern flip to a colder/wintery pattern for the SE this month

- Dec-Feb will average warmer than normal

- We will have a couple of chances this winter, I don't think we get skunked

Even I can stand behind your list here (except the possibility of a change this month - as evidenced by what we are seeing. That's obviously a change). But I distinctly remember you saying the winter would turn out this way.

In your defense, you did relax that stance a week or so ago and went with the possibility that we could end up with normal seasonal temps over all.

Also - be it known that I never named names of the divers - just sayin'.

... just sayin... surface temps are pretty bad though.

yeah, that's probably a better track than it's 0Z run. But either way the real problem is a lack of cold air. There is none preceding the storm, and thus any snow that occurs on the backside is mostly "dynamically" driven, which is not conducive to a widespread event in the SE. All the truly arctic air is bottled up in NW Canada. It's really difficult to get any significant snow in the SE without a source of true arctic air, IMO.

But perhaps if the storm pans out it will help reshuffle the deck in the atmosphere eventually and drive in some wintry weather for Christmas.

Oh man, we are about to get into the DGEX model's wheel house for all of the snow weenies out there. It has the storm and is giving the SE some love. Look at your own risk. If I had every inch that the DGEX predicted for my backyard last year, I would need to invest in a sleigh and a snowmobile! I ended up with two inches of it.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mmbpll/dgexops.conus/

I don't think that there will be any accumulating snow outside of the mountains for this storm, but I am excited about the pattern change which will be coming for the latter half of the month. I have a sneaky suspicion that there will be a snowstorm around Christmas somewhere in the East.

For the record - I never jumped. Mid January is the earliest I'll ever consider it...

Is it possible that you might be missing the point? I don't think it's so much a fantasy storm that has people encouraged - it's the fact that the Pacific has shown weakness and blocking is landing some body shots. I do not believe it will snow here next week. But what many (including most METS) have been saying this whole time is that a step down change is coming. Some people who refuse to look beyond model runs or any possibility of the Pacific losing ground jumped wholeheartedly and made damn sure they let everyone know. Now that Ivan Drago has been cut, the people are starting to chant.

It's not about a fantasy storm (which btw next Tuesday barely qualifies at this point) - it's the consensus that we probably won't be as bad off as last year - and now guidance is beginning to show it more consistently.

Anytime you can combine Rocky IV with a weather post, that's some high quality right there. :thumbsup:

I must break you.

yeah, that's probably a better track than it's 0Z run. But either way the real problem is a lack of cold air. There is none preceding the storm, and thus any snow that occurs on the backside is mostly "dynamically" driven, which is not conducive to a widespread event in the SE. All the truly arctic air is bottled up in NW Canada. It's really difficult to get any significant snow in the SE without a source of true arctic air, IMO.

But perhaps if the storm pans out it will help reshuffle the deck in the atmosphere eventually and drive in some wintry weather for Christmas.

I think you're right. There are some exceptions - recently as a matter of fact - in which the upper level dynamics of a given strong ULL can create it's own cold system and produce quality snow events (i.e. March '09).

I posted in the other forum but it gave me hope especially given what Robert said. I bet the Euro falls to the GFS...and what's funny is a few days ago the GFS actually had an ULL trekking from TX to TN in the same time frame but everyone thought it was out to lunch. Now GFS has it and people are dismissing it because of the Euro. If you look at the Euro at 12z and 00z you'll see 00z pushed the bulk of the moisture south and it takes a more favorable approach for winter. Cold air still isn't there but my pure weenie guess is the models are battling with the pattern change. I like our chances! Then again I always do.

havent been following trends because of finals, but that gives me some hope in the GFS :)

Archived