Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December 2012 Pattern Analysis

HailMan06

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing like you calling for a repeat of one of the worst winters on record based on an overnight flip in model runs.

Some things never change.

Yeah, agreed. The ECMWF flip flopped again, and now has a solid -NAO developing. The means are a better tool for forecasting in the longer range than the operational models are.

Should finish plus 3 for the month thay west coast trough stuck in stupid. Take ur nao and ao and keep it. Its Not the driver in ths pattern. I dont knw what some of u dont.see. its not one run. Its the same run.for 2 weeks and the changes progged dont help us. If u live in manitoba then rejoice

Uh? Based on what? The Dec 16-20 period still looks interesting.

ant. I am focusing the upstream not whats downstream. A gradient pattern gointo develop but we prob south of the barroclinic zone. I thnk ths is great for new england. First . Se ridges are ur friend to an extent. They can also track ur energy too far north

Nice look here. Things are getting pushed to climo on today's runs, which is just fine. I'd venture a wild guess that the next few panels might feature a nice winter storm for the area based on this snapshot.

post-334-0-75319600-1354993633_thumb.gif

Mega West-Based -NAO Block. Although that's present, there's the Massive -PNA signature which can get in the way.

ant. I am focusing the upstream not whats downstream. A gradient pattern gointo develop but we prob south of the barroclinic zone. I thnk ths is great for new england. First . Se ridges are ur friend to an extent. They can also track ur energy too far north

I agree with you about the a gradient pattern. I think it's really possible with a -NAO,-AO and -PNA. NYC does alright with these kinds of patterns. SNE north does the best though.

I agree with you about the a gradient pattern. I think it's really possible with a -NAO,-AO and -PNA. NYC does alright with these kinds of patterns. SNE north does the best though.

Dont thnk its a fail. Just thnk its later than the 20 th.

Mega West-Based -NAO Block. Although that's present, there's the Massive -PNA signature which can get in the way.

We'll be dealing with the -PNA issue for some time to come....we get the goods delivered via the Baffin/Greenland blocking as has been discussed. If that goes away, it's going to be very disappointing.....

Hope is Alive.

0z Euro had a + NAO. Now the 12z Euro has a -NAO.

http://raleighwx.ame...s/ecmwfens.html

Pacific goes to crap though as the Aleutian ridge flattens out and floods Canada with mild air. A strong PV with -40C 850s retreats to Siberia and there goes our cold air source. Sure heights are high over Greenland but you're battling a strong +EPO/-PNA/-PDO pattern which is unfavorable. The ensembles looked better than the Euro OP, which was horrific.

Pacific goes to crap though as the Aleutian ridge flattens out and floods Canada with mild air. A strong PV with -40C 850s retreats to Siberia and there goes our cold air source. Sure heights are high over Greenland but you're battling a strong +EPO/-PNA/-PDO pattern which is unfavorable. The ensembles looked better than the Euro OP, which was horrific.

What? This is a good pattern for dumping cold air into the Western CONUS and developing a gradient over the Central US. The high latitude blocking building in over Greenland and Northeast Canada assures that the baroclinic zone will be forced farther south. The ensembles also have a strong signal for a storm system at this time with a noticeable buckle in the mid level flow over the MS Valley.

12zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH240.gif

What? This is a good pattern for dumping cold air into the Western CONUS and developing a gradient over the Central US. The high latitude blocking building in over Greenland and Northeast Canada assures that the baroclinic zone will be forced farther south. The ensembles also have a strong signal for a storm system at this time with a noticeable buckle in the mid level flow over the MS Valley.

12zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH240.gif

I was talking about the OP because that's what Ant was mentioning. The ensembles looked better, although still not great, than the OP, as I mentioned. I still don't like the area of low heights over AK and into the Pacific Northwest as that's going to cause a long PAC jet to extend into the CONUS.

I was talking about the OP because that's what Ant was mentioning. The ensembles looked better, although still not great, than the OP, as I mentioned. I still don't like the area of low heights over AK and into the Pacific Northwest as that's going to cause a long PAC jet to extend into the CONUS.

Where do you see this on his map?

The height lines are very closely packed together over the East Pacific entering the CONUS and Southern Canada, so you do have a strong PAC jet. There isn't any high pressure slowing down the Pacific flow.

Fair enough. I see a nice supply of arctic air and some Atlantic blocking, and heavy snow.

Nothing like you calling for a repeat of one of the worst winters on record based on an overnight flip in model runs.

Some things never change.

not sure why people were "excited" about December based on anything models showed, they NEVER showed anything great for our latitude, just HINTED at it becoming more favorable, which was clearly incorrect. And considering what has been depicted the past 3 runs of the euro/ensmebles and multiple GFS runs/ensembles this month is a punt....The pattern over the pacific is (but hopefully wont continue to be) a killer.

May be a silly question, but I'm guessing that the recurvature of Typhoon Bopha out in the WPac won't be doing anything to dislodge this horrendous Pacific pattern? Thoughts anyone?

should cause the SOI to go negative and a trough develops in the east within the next week. Models will be playing catch up this week..............

Archived