BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
DISCUSSION ONLY: Snow/rain/slopfest potential Tuesday 11/27/2012

famartin

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a meteorological standpoint, it was a monster bust for me personally. It wasn't about what did or did not fall in my backyard, it's the fact I bought into the models so badly, I feel embarrassed in the wake up that storm for what I anticipated across our entire area.

In post-analysis of that event, I don't feel nearly as badly as I did the day after forecasting. It was a really tough event to nail down due to the mesoscale nature of the forecast. The fact that most of us had the right idea about banding and snowfall rates being the keys to accumulating snow were spot on. It's really tough to nail down exactly where that would be and I'm not losing any sleep that I was off on where those bands set up by 100 miles. Yeah, it sucks that I missed the forecast for MBY and I definitely had some egg on my face the next day at work, but what else were you going to forecast for that day?

In post-analysis of that event, I don't feel nearly as badly as I did the day after forecasting. It was a really tough event to nail down due to the mesoscale nature of the forecast. The fact that most of us had the right idea about banding and snowfall rates being the keys to accumulating snow were spot on. It's really tough to nail down exactly where that would be and I'm not losing any sleep that I was off on where those bands set up by 100 miles. Yeah, it sucks that I missed the forecast for MBY and I definitely had some egg on my face the next day at work, but what else were you going to forecast for that day?

Good points. One thing you highlighted was the likelyhood of 6+ inches of snow in a small band and that did occur. I guess in the end with a 50-75 mile shift in the main banding that caused the result that occured.

As for this event, NAM could be overdone on QPF .....does anyone remember how the Euro did with the early November storm in terms of QPF forecasts?

Quite a difference between 06 NAM+GFS just north and west of PHL. NAM gives Lancaster + Reading 8" and Trenton 7" with temperatures near 32 so most should accumulate oin grass. GFS is warmer at surface with lighter precip so little would accumulate. Phl+ILG are too warm to accumulate in either model.

NAM continues to like areas just N+W from phl.

Much like the last event you got from a thumping snow to very light rain/snow mix outside of the best upper level support.

Now.......where does that set up? Last time the gradient was on an axis north/south. This time appears an west/east axis.

12Z NAM takes the best UVV's right across Lehigh Valley/SE PA and central Jersey after 12z Tuesday. Looks like areas from Philly south would miss the best lift.

verbatim, its a lehigh valley-sepa-SNJ qpf*** bullseye. havent looked at thermal profiles...

check 1-2..looks like the 925 contour runs dc-NYC...amazing how it runs I-95. whoever built that road was thinking "lets screw these mets" !! haha.

NAM R/S line runs near PA/Md border to near PHL. Quite a gradient just NW of PHL. Areas along turnpike get 6"+. I-95 through SJ/De/Ne MD zip.

yea i looed at the sounding for my work on twister data which is maybe 15 miles from the airport but has 500 ft in elev and its solidly a snow event. What also helped, the heavier echoes came over the region. If those echoes trend further south it would help areas along i95. The nam did cool off a good bit from 6z cause the heavier choes came further south. That will be the wild card on this where that banding sets up like with the early nov storm.

That will be the wild card on this where that banding sets up like with the early nov storm.

Comparing the 00z, 06z and 12z NAMs, the best UVV's definetely are trending north away from Philly metro (as they slide west to east across our subforum). Like you said, if you can't get under those for a few hours, you'll have a repeat of what we saw in early November across SE PA.

Check out the difference at 15z at 700mb Tuesday, between the 00z NAM and 12z NAM.

Archived