BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
DISCUSSION ONLY: Snow/rain/slopfest potential Tuesday 11/27/2012

famartin

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm talking about those calling this storm "nothing" if it doesn't snow in their backyard. 00z NAM implies this storm is "something" for parts of the area.

Lets see what the GFS/Euro have to say. I trust NOTHING after what occured 3 weeks ago (this early in the season).

Since this system's moving WSW-ENE, it's going to be difficult for NJ to steal the show this time at least. My main concern is getting pcpn hvy enough to cool the column for accum. Temps aloft are supportive if we can get some stronger vv's up in here.

Since this system's moving WSW-ENE, it's going to be difficult for NJ to steal the show this time at least. My main concern is getting pcpn hvy enough to cool the column for accum. Temps aloft are supportive if we can get some stronger vv's up in here.

also, the timing is better with this storm. What hurt last time was the precip started at noon or after, when temps were around 40. If it starts in the morn temps would be low to mid 30s.

GFS does not impress me. Just doesn't want to cool down the low levels. Precip looks too light. Guestimating from the maps it looks like the GFS takes 4-5 hours to drop 0.09" at TTN. That's not going to cut it. Then only 0.12" falls in the next 6 hours. Also not going to cut it.

Rates are only slightly better at PHL with only 0.12" from ~7Z-12Z and 0.13" from 12Z-18Z. 0.01-0.03" an hour just won't do it along I-95 proper.

GFS does not impress me. Just doesn't want to cool down the low levels. Precip looks too light. Guestimating from the maps it looks like the GFS takes 4-5 hours to drop 0.09" at TTN. That's not going to cut it. Then only 0.12" falls in the next 6 hours. Also not going to cut it.

Rates are only slightly better at PHL with only 0.12" from ~7Z-12Z and 0.13" from 12Z-18Z. 0.01-0.03" an hour just won't do it along I-95 proper.

But.... and to be the spokesman for the Lehigh Valley... we STILL are the winners verbatim to this run, although 'winning' being 2-3" that isn't saying much...

the gfs isnt even saturating the lowest 2500 ft in its soundings which is weird. Plus if it was saturated the wetbulb would support snow.

GFS_3_2012112600_F39_40.0000N_75.5000W.png

Probably more like 1-2". ABE gets 0.18" total but its still 33F at the surface at 12Z.

My question to you is, given that observational data that is now onshore with the energy that will become our s/w, and is now integrated into the 00z suite, is this the be-all-end-all for the QPF totals? Or will there be a correction at 12z? My bets are this is it....

My question to you is, given that observational data that is now onshore with the energy that will become our s/w, and is now integrated into the 00z suite, is this the be-all-end-all for the QPF totals? Or will there be a correction at 12z? My bets are this is it....

It'll wiggle back and forth. It always does.

Dude, it all melted a day or two later.

From a meteorological standpoint, it was a monster bust for me personally. It wasn't about what did or did not fall in my backyard, it's the fact I bought into the models so badly, I feel embarrassed in the wake up that storm for what I anticipated across our entire area.

great disco guys, even if its only for a flizzard!!!

honestly, im not impressed. timing of the day sucks, swfe are over rated, and precip rates are comical. i'd be happy with a dusting.

Yup, if I wake up to a sloppy, slushy snow falling Tuesday morning, it's a win for November 27th.

I think areas above 500' in elevation could pick up 2 or 3 inches (max). Those of us under 500' will struggle for an inch or more......maybe smile.png

From a meteorological standpoint, it was a monster bust for me personally. It wasn't about what did or did not fall in my backyard, it's the fact I bought into the models so badly, I feel embarrassed in the wake up that storm for what I anticipated across our entire area.

Most of us got fooled. I felt really dumb when I told a friend of mine down in southern Ocean County that it would be mainly rain. That worked out... NOT!

Archived