BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
DISCUSSION ONLY: Snow/rain/slopfest potential Tuesday 11/27/2012

famartin

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a question...I know we often have Virga storms around here. Is the air dry right now? I know I have been getting lots of static shocks today. Could this erode some of our precip? Will the evaporational cooling help our temp situation?

Yes yes and yes. But its about as dry as it was before 11/7.

Just a question...I know we often have Virga storms around here. Is the air dry right now? I know I have been getting lots of static shocks today. Could this erode some of our precip? Will the evaporational cooling help our temp situation?

Its a little dry, but its not like how it is before major winter storms. If we had drier air in place phl would be all snow, shows a deeper cold air source.

Here is abe skew t, their is some dry air, but you need that to wet bulb down, but its not horrible

RAP_255_2012112622_F09_40.5000N_75.5000W.png

It still has to moisten that layer between 600 and 850. Surface dews are in the lows 20s, which counts for something. We'll have to see what temps do tonight. Lakehurst just hit freezing while its still 46 at PHL.

Its a little dry, but its not like how it is before major winter storms. If we had drier air in place phl would be all snow, shows a deeper cold air source.

Here is abe skew t, their is some dry air, but you need that to wet bulb down, but its not horrible

RAP_255_2012112622_F00_40.5000N_75.5000W.png

It still has to moisten that layer between 600 and 850. Surface dews are in the lows 20s, which counts for something. We'll have to see what temps do tonight. Lakehurst just hit freezing while its still 46 at PHL.

that skew t was right now, i changed it to an hr or 2 before the storm and its not as dry, prob due to the influx of some southerly winds.

Does that sim radar pick up virga? I wonder if its just trying to show where precip is falling and its intensity, as if a radar was right next to it.

RAP_255_2012112622_F05_40.5000N_75.5000W.png

RAP_255_2012112622_F05_CREF_SURFACE.png

the one i posted earlier had virga over it picked up by the sim radar. This is the skew t and sim radar for abe... drier than what i originalll showed, but its not as dry as what it is now. So im assuming the southerly winds just above surface may moisten it up?

Archived