Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
November 27th - 28th Snow Potential

Ice Warrior commander

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go on NCEP and loop H5 vorticity and that will tell you the problem. You will need two things to happen and it's not an easy thing to do in 54 hrs.

1) There needs to be space from the s/w that gives us a little -SN on the GFS Tuesday aftn, and the s/w that spawns cyclogenesis off the East Coast.

2) This s/w that spawns cyclogenesis also needs to be stronger.

It's possible a small combo of both could perhaps boost totals a little south of the Pike, but if you are expecting widespread advisory or better, it's going to be difficult imo.

I'll give it through the night runs to put away the generator. If history is a guide - and it may not be this winter - we should see that trailing s/w separate a bit in later runs but it may not matter if the leading s/w comes in stronger. Either way I think this is a minimal threat to a small area in SE NE as of now. I'll be happy with and only expect some showers/flurries.

Just looking at the 0z Euro vs the other 12z models. It's a pretty sharp contrast in how fast/flat the s/w is on the new NCEP guidance. It's almost non-existent compared to the old Euro. On the old 78h 0z Euro you had a 30-35 unit max over us at 500mb...the GFS barely a ripple in favor or two pulses diving through PA and the MS Valley. We'll see, wouldn't be the first time NCEP models were miserable at 500mb.

Well Kevin gave Ryan crap for not going with 4-8" of snow....this is why you can't be bullish with all the modeling in disagreement. Sounds like maybe Ryan needs an apology?

I never gave him crap for not calling for 4-8. He had been sending nasty FB posts and Tweets. Since Sandy he has struggled with forecasts. I don't think he'd deny that

Just looking at the 0z Euro vs the other 12z models. It's a pretty sharp contrast in how fast/flat the s/w is on the new NCEP guidance. It's almost non-existent compared to the old Euro. On the old 78h 0z Euro you had a 30-35 unit max over us at 500mb...the GFS barely a ripple in favor or two pulses diving through PA and the MS Valley. We'll see, wouldn't be the first time NCEP models were miserable at 500mb.

The euro would be best case for us...though that's not saying much as it was pretty skimpy too

I never gave him crap for not calling for 4-8. He had been sending nasty FB posts and Tweets. Since Sandy he has struggled with forecasts. I don't think he'd deny that

I wasn't referring to yesterday really..just the previous days before. I think we all felt like something was in the cards.

Its been a tough road for the KFALLS model after a good early November run. The tday week storm bust, the only 50 in sw ct last wed-fri bust, the 4-8 inches of snow for Tuesday bust and of course winter locking in on the 25th prediction even though its clear December will be mild to start. I am sure major tweaking will be done, and KFALLS will be up and running at optimum capacity as we head into the xmas season, even KFALLS is not perfect.

Yeah, But you also mentioned how you felt somehow you may get screwed so you did have some doubts

To be honest, I was thinking from a ptype perspective. I mean yeah...nothing was off the table, but I became more concerned about ptype. Kind of hard to think we would get whiffed when the guidance made such a jump the night before...something that has signified a trend with past events.

Archived