Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
November 27th - 28th Snow Potential

Ice Warrior commander

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not in synoptic setup, but in the fact that it was south until 24-48 hours out. Even the big ones were forecasted at some point to be out to sea.

This system is a mess. You've mentioned Jan 05 a couple of times the past few days I believe and that storm shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as this disorganized piece of feces.

Go on NCEP and loop H5 vorticity and that will tell you the problem. You will need two things to happen and it's not an easy thing to do in 54 hrs.

1) There needs to be space from the s/w that gives us a little -SN on the GFS Tuesday aftn, and the s/w that spawns cyclogenesis off the East Coast.

2) This s/w that spawns cyclogenesis also needs to be stronger.

It's possible a small combo of both could perhaps boost totals a little south of the Pike, but if you are expecting widespread advisory or better, it's going to be difficult imo.

Fast zonal flow becomes oriented SW to NE which lends me to believe that the flow will support a closer to the coastline solution. Arctic jet disturbance tries to get involved, but right now its a tad too late on the models for the storm to bomb out soon enough. It will take time to get this solution figured out with two disturbances in the arctic and northern jets, but also there is a southern stream system that weakens, but provides GOM moisture to the overall system. There is enough on the table to be weary of it for those of us on the Coastline. The only comparison I ever tried to make with 05 was that it was forecasted to be offshore and out to sea in the 72 hour time frame, so anything can happen and future runs solidified the vort max over time in the 24-48 hour range.

Go on NCEP and loop H5 vorticity and that will tell you the problem. You will need two things to happen and it's not an easy thing to do in 54 hrs.

1) There needs to be space from the s/w that gives us a little -SN on the GFS Tuesday aftn, and the s/w that spawns cyclogenesis off the East Coast.

It's possible a small combo of both could perhaps boost totals a little south of the Pike, but if you are expecting widespread advisory or better, it's going to be difficult imo.

The 1st one really screws up the 2nd one from having any chance

Even with the big storms of the past there were times before hand that we doubted if we would get it at all. I think this is no different. Low and behold the setup is extremely different, therefore there is no comparison. I'm just saying I'm not expecting much, but its possible that the things that need to happen for us to get something more are possible. I believe we get a benchmark track, as flow aligns SW to NE as the vortex nw of the Maritimes moves northwestward and weakens with time. We just need the shortwave in question to be stronger than modeled and that is not asking for much since it won't be sampled for another 24 hours or so.

Even with the big storms of the past there were times before hand that we doubted if we would get it at all. I think this is no different. Low and behold the setup is extremely different, therefore there is no comparison. I'm just saying I'm not expecting much, but its possible that the things that need to happen for us to get something more are possible. I believe we get a benchmark track, as flow aligns SW to NE as the vortex nw of the Maritimes moves northwestward and weakens with time. We just need the shortwave in question to be stronger than modeled and that is not asking for much since it won't be sampled for another 24 hours or so.

Well there probably won't be zero QPF where you are, but it's pretty meager looking right now.

Archived