• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
November 27th - 28th Snow Potential

Ice Warrior commander

interesting that it was the 18z gfs that first had a whiff yesterday - if indeed this does end up flat. i know the off-hour runs are always kind of laughed at but not sure they are as bad as we always say they are.

I don't buy that myth at all anymore. Remote sensing is pretty darn good now. I know weenies still use that, but it's not really valid like it used to be.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I admit to being one of those folks getting all giddy for a couple of sets of runs. My instincts told me to look for sneaky caution flags...

Should have listened. We will see what happens today. Maybe Phil and Messenger get to prance

Yup, that's why I just sat quietly the last few days and watched. Until the atmosphere shows me something besides cold and dry that's how I'll lean for every potential modeled storm.

Just going back and reading the posts..I mean WTF? Are you guys serious? Euro and Ukie both are nice hits south of Pike.. I honesty would have thought folks would have learned by now. ugh

It's a good idea to wait until the 12z runs to come in for areas south of the Pike. All we said was that the overnight runs weren't that great for a large part of SNE. That's the truth.

I mean this sounds bad to you lol?

HOWEVER

THE NEW 00Z UKMET/00Z GEFS AND ECMWF SUPPORT A MORE AMPLIFIED MID

LEVEL TROUGH YIELDING STRONGER CYCLOGENESIS CLOSER TO THE COAST.

BOTH SOLUTIONS PROVIDE SUFFICIENT COLD AIR FOR A MAINLY SNOW EVENT

THRU OUT THE REGION. THE EXCEPTION WOULD BE CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS

WHERE MARGINALLY COLD BLYR MAY YIELD A MIX OF SNOW AND RAIN.

interesting that it was the 18z gfs that first had a whiff yesterday - if indeed this does end up flat. i know the off-hour runs are always kind of laughed at but not sure they are as bad as we always say they are.

Word on the street is that the dissing of the off-hour runs is no longer appropriate given the reliabiliyt of the data now being digested in them.

Yup, that's why I just sat quietly the last few days and watched. Until the atmosphere shows me something besides cold and dry that's how I'll lean for every potential modeled storm.

I didn't sit quietly, but I had Nov 7-8 front and center in my mind. Dry begets dry. Probably will be able to walk across the pond--or at least on much of it--by the end of the week.

cold.gif

Euro op gave kevin an inch.

But we know how that works..you shift the solid qpf 50-100 miles north..It happens everytime. It happened Nov 7th. That gave me an inch or 2..and in reality that needed to be shifted well north up past ORH.. All I'm saying. Folks just go way way overboard with this woe is me..the storm isn't coming. You stay the course,,and look at the meteorological reasons why it should come north and factor in model bias and past performances..and you're left with what should be a decent snow event.

I mean this sounds bad to you lol?

HOWEVER

THE NEW 00Z UKMET/00Z GEFS AND ECMWF SUPPORT A MORE AMPLIFIED MID

LEVEL TROUGH YIELDING STRONGER CYCLOGENESIS CLOSER TO THE COAST.

BOTH SOLUTIONS PROVIDE SUFFICIENT COLD AIR FOR A MAINLY SNOW EVENT

THRU OUT THE REGION. THE EXCEPTION WOULD BE CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS

WHERE MARGINALLY COLD BLYR MAY YIELD A MIX OF SNOW AND RAIN.

You folks down south are still in the game. But for most of the region (not most of the population) there's going to be a whole lotta cirrus happenin' out there.

Don't forget that the GGEM also made a sizeable shift toward meh. Not quite there yet, but it did move.

Word on the street is that the dissing of the off-hour runs is no longer appropriate given the reliabiliyt of the data now being digested in them.

I didn't sit quietly, but I had Nov 7-8 front and center in my mind. Dry begets dry. Probably will be able to walk across the pond--or at least on much of it--by the end of the week.

cold.gif

The high giveth and the high taketh

But we know how that works..you shift the solid qpf 50-100 miles north..It happens everytime. It happened Nov 7th. That gave me an inch or 2..and in reality that needed to be shifted well north up past PRH.. All I'm saying. Folks just go way way overboard with this woe is me..the storm isn't coming. You stay the course,,and look at the meteorological reasons why it should come north and factor in model bias and past performances..and you're left with what should be a decent snow event.

That's not why it happened. Everything shifted eastward which brought deformation banding to your area and Will.

The problem is, there are meteorological reasons why it can remain progressive. You can't always assume it comes north. Maybe it will which is why you probably should wait until 12z runs....but there are reasons why the 00z runs were pretty meh. You have to keep an open mind to all possibilities. For my area, I don't feel great about it, but I'm close enough so that I'm going to see how the 12z runs go before making any determinations. For areas like Hubbdave and MPM...it's going to be more difficult so their emotions are worthy.

That's not why it happened. Everything shifted eastward which brought deformation banding to your area and Will.

The problem is, there are meteorological reasons why it can remain progressive. You can't always assume it comes north. Maybe it will which is why you probably should wait until 12z runs....but there are reasons why the 00z runs were pretty meh. You have to keep an open mind to all possibilities. For my area, I don't feel great about it, but I'm close enough so that I'm going to see how the 12z runs go before making any determinations. For areas like Hubbdave and MPM...it's going to be more difficult so their emotions are worthy.

How far north do Euro ens have precip?

The high giveth and the high taketh

The wind will make all the surfaces bumpy. Extra traction for walking across, but sucks for skating.

I don't do anything based on US modelling. Euro looks good overall..It just got skimpy on qpf,,which we know it can do from time to time when a modeled storm sh*ts the bed.

:) just joking. We'll see at noon.

A track like this yields a decent snow event for many folks in SNE

LTHOUGH MODELS/ENSEMBLES ARE CONVERGING...THERE IS STILL

UNCERTAINTY ON HOW CLOSE TO THE COAST LOW PRESSURE WILL GET. THE

GENERAL OPERATIONAL AND GEFS/ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN CONSENSUS IS FOR

LOW PRESSURE TO TRACK JUST SE OF THE 40/70 LAT/LON BENCHMARK TUESDAY

NIGHT...WITH MOST ENSEMBLE MEMBER VARIABILITY EXPLAINED BY TIMING

ISSUES AND SOME OF THE VARIABILITY EXPLAINED BY PROXIMITY OF TRACK

TO COAST.

Well a few hundredths is close enough..lol. I guess the point is that it doesn't have much. We'll see what happens in a few hours...at least you stand the best shot at something.

Anything frozen this time of year is just gravy for me. Seeing flakes is a win.

Hopeful to pull off some more late week with that cold shot and N flow.

Archived