Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
November 27th - 28th Snow Potential

Ice Warrior commander

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SREFs out in about 15-20 min...hopefully we see a bump north...they were pretty paltry at 15z...even though we are out of their wheelehouse, they still actually perform decently at 72-84 hours for precip unlike a few years ago when they were awful.

Oftentime on late winter night's coming back from night skiing at Wachusett I will have 1-84 east/westbound to myself with no other car on the road for a few miles at a time. The state police make lots of money from speeding fines on that stretch of highway. The road is at around 950' - 990' in Union if GPS is to be trusted.

SREFs out in about 15-20 min...hopefully we see a bump north...they were pretty paltry at 15z...even though we are out of their wheelehouse, they still actually perform decently at 72-84 hours for precip unlike a few years ago when they were awful.

Will, where are you getting them?

the NCEP site is a dead link when you click on "SREF"

SREFs are on the PSU ewall site.

Yeah but you have to wait a bit longer for those to update. Like an extra 10-15 min...but they are definitely the best graphics.

I'm not sure why the NCEP site has stopped offering them or not fixed the broken link there.

What is the rpm link that has been discussed?

Oh it's actually a WSI internal hi-res model. Ryan can see it because he's a media client...that's the model Harvey talks about sometimes to show clouds increasing or decreasing...as well as snow amounts....although the snow algorithm is a little whacky at times. It still has it's moments where I have no idea what its doing, but it has improved. It's fairly good with convection.

Oh it's actually a WSI internal hi-res model. Ryan can see it because he's a media client...that's the model Harvey talks about sometimes to show clouds increasing or decreasing...as well as snow amounts....although the snow algorithm is a little whacky at times. It still has it's moments where I have no idea what its doing, but it has improved. It's fairly good with convection.

It nailed the early November event. But yeah, sometimes it's out to lunch.

mean is paltry

Yeah that's likely due to the spread. The SREFs have everything perturbed. This means initial conditions, the physics..it's all perturbed to try and give you a range of possibilities. Well, that's what we have..lol. Not much help here at this time, other than to say we don't have a clear picture.

Archived