• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Potential Storm 11/7-11/8

Snow_Miser

focusing on snow potential right now is a little absurd. we should all be watching the potential for winds along the coast (not so much for additional flooding, more for the potential for additional outages with many already weakened trees and power lines) not to mention the coast could actually see some appreciable rain to go along with any winds this time around.

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

focusing on snow potential right now is a little absurd. we should all be watching the potential for winds along the coast (not so much for additional flooding, more for the potential for additional outages with many already weakened trees and power lines) not to mention the coast could actually see some appreciable rain to go along with any winds this time around.

Not all of us live on the coast and the snow potential up here can lead to continued power outages affecting the region.

Yes, exactly. The snow on the trees which are already leaning on the power lines would lead to widespread power outages, or affect the ability of the power line workers to fix the people who are still without power. Snow would be the worst case scenario for those of us who live out here.

any of the areas affected the worst by sandy have ZERO shot at seeing snow. sure, it would make things messy up there, but it really wouldn't impact the hard hit sandy areas. and that isn't to minimize some of the outages up north, but to me, the hard hit areas are the ones that suffered loss of life and complete loss of property (jersey coast, southern NYC, long island coast, westchester coast, CT coast) and none of these places have a shot at snow. wind, on the other hand...

I'm upstate in Liberty NY, elevation 1,500 feet. I'm here because my Lynbrook NY house in nass county is still without power, no power here just a good generator and kerosene heater.

My question, here in Sullivan County, Can I be looking at a snowstorm in the mid week period?

Someone alluded to middletown NY, (exit 120), once you pass Middletown, elevation climbs rapidly.

Jeff

i wish people would stop wishcasting snow. we have a serious issue on our hands with the winds and the duration of them. I still do not have power and this is only going to take longer.

Wow, 0c 850 line doesnt even get close to us. If anyone had any hope for snow still then the GFS just shut that down completely. This is

looking more and more like a cool windy rainstorm.

Looking at the high resolution graphics of the Canadian model on Wright-Weather, it has the 850 line running through Warren and Sussex Counties in New Jersey, and very close to the Delaware River the entire way down to Maryland for the entire storm with surface temps in the mid 30's the entire time. It has the low deepen to a 968mb about 150 miles off the NJ Coast at 102 hrs. Total Precip in Northwest New Jersey and Northeast PA is around 2.25 inches.

Rain. It's not all about the 850 line. Everything is torched

I_nw_g1_EST_2012110412_089.png

Who cares if we are getting rain or snow.. There was little shot in getting much if any snow from this storm.. What is telling though to me is the track.. If this was January we'd be in for a very nice snowstorm w/ this type of track... IF this is a sign for the upcoming winter, it's going to be a long winter!

The point he is trying to make is not what the map shows but the 850 line means nothing this time of year. You need to check the levels below 850 and I can almost guarantee there will be issues in Warren and Sussex. Stop wishcasting.

Maybe you are not reading what I wrote? I wrote that the 850 line runs through Warren and Sussex Counties. Do you think that possibly this lower resolution graphic could be off by say 5-10 miles? Besides, what difference does it make. It will be horrible. The fear for me is that this graphic is wrong and the high resoltion one is correct. That would be a disaster for me and Northeast PA.

Maybe you are not reading what I wrote? I wrote that the 850 line runs through Warren and Sussex Counties. Do you think that possibly this lower resolution graphic could be off by say 5-10 miles? Besides, what difference does it make. It will be horrible. The fear for me is that this graphic is wrong and the high resoltion one is correct. That would be a disaster for me and Northeast PA.

Its gonna be close up here.. As of now I would say you have to be >50 miles NW to even have a shot at any frozen precip..

Can we stop with the 850 line already? It means absolutely nothing!!!!!

That's not true, it's a great approximation of the rain-snow line during most of winter. Obviously you have to be a little bit more conservative in mid-November but areas that are precipitating with 850s below 0C have a shot at snow. It basically shows where the possibility lies if precip is heavy and maybe where there is a bit of elevation.

You are not getting a disaster. Even if it starts off as a mix it will all be gone in 20 mins when everything torches and we get rain. The high winds are the main problem here.

Archived