BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Potential Storm 11/7-11/8

Snow_Miser

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A tough forecast to say the least. The solutions now are pretty ideal for snow in the immediate burbs with the thermal profiles barely cold enough and enough precipitation. The timing is great too.

It will be interesting to see how things move around on the guidance tonight.

I'd be holding out for 00z guidance before making any sort of call (if I was in the position to do so -- luckily I'm not, so I can just sit back and judge (and troll).

Expectations are high now, in case you didn't know. Since the NAM showed 9 inches, we can't accept anything less.

I like how when this was a sure fire rainstorm everyone was so against it("oh my gosh the poor people with the storm") now that aspect seems to be forgotten the minute some decent shot at seeing snow arises.hotdog.gif

Except if it shows an east scenario, then 12z tomorrow will be really telling, and if that's still east, 00z tomorrow night will be the fat lady.

That's the problem with relying too much on one set of model runs - if that doesn't clear up the confusion, the next set of runs is then the "telling" one. I think (definitely hope) that the 0z model set should help to clear up at least some of the confusion considering the large size of spread in the models in the short range, which is why I made that comment, not that I definitely expect the models to settle on a consensus tonight (it's possible, but who knows), but even the 0z runs aren't a complete lock for any certain solution.

Significant November snowfalls do not normally bode well for respectable winters. However, if it does in fact snow, I'm not as concerned as it appears that we rebound quickly and remain near average for next week.

1898-99 and 1995-96 turned out ok...and throw in 1938-39.

Interestingly the 15z SREF were hitting the 10m wind threat much harder than anything..with some pretty strong sustained winds at the coast.

Wouldn't the weaker, further east track mitigate the wind threat, John? I can't see the 18z GFS's 990mb low producing high wind criteria in most places except maybe far eastern LI right on the beach. Don't you start getting the feeling this might be more of a light-moderate snowstorm with little damage rather than a heavy rain/high wind dangerous Nor'easter?

Wouldn't the weaker, further east track mitigate the wind threat, John? I can't see the 18z GFS's 990mb low producing high wind criteria in most places except maybe far eastern LI right on the beach. Don't you start getting the feeling this might be more of a light-moderate snowstorm with little damage rather than a heavy rain/high wind dangerous Nor'easter?

Yes, that's why I thought it was interesting. So it will be interesting to see if they follow the other models and go east and weaker at 21z...I suspect they will.

Mt Holly loves those high wind watches...they had the philly area getting higher winds than NJ and NYc for awhile. They bring this up anf nothing about snow....lol!

Would love to hear what you try and come up with, since Mt. Holly's HWW for Sandy was the same for the whole CWA, and never was higher then NYC's.

Archived