Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Potential Storm 11/7-11/8

Snow_Miser

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

euro coming in gfs'ish..

54, 994 off the delmarva 100 miles, precip making its way into jersey/sepa /south shore of ri/ct.. 850's of all the coastline..

60-its bombing/stalling, drifting closer.850 still offshore somewhere around 990's... Still light precip into same areas, maybe a 20 mile shift north with the precip field..

John, what are your thoughts on this outcome from the 12z ECMWF? Your opinion is well respected, and I'm kind of curious about your thoughts on this.

In the immediate suburbs I am looking at frozen precipitation with extreme skepticism. But you can't rule it out, especially with the strong high to the north and half-decent antecedent airmass especially for the time of year. Two or three weeks from now I think we would all be going nuts.

I actually like areas farther southwest and inland (parts of PA/Interior MA) because the best forcing occurs there as the storm strengthens. Some models are hinting at the CCB decaying by the time it gets here which makes sense given the best jet dynamics for strengthening to our south and the storm beginning occlusion.

So I guess we'll see....I would want to see some more model runs before I get really excited about snow..more often than not you're going to want heavy precip to get it this time of year too.

In the immediate suburbs I am looking at frozen precipitation with extreme skepticism. But you can't rule it out, especially with the strong high to the north and half-decent antecedent airmass especially for the time of year. Two or three weeks from now I think we would all be going nuts.

I actually like areas farther southwest and inland (parts of PA/Interior MA) because the best forcing occurs there as the storm strengthens. Some models are hinting at the CCB decaying by the time it gets here which makes sense given the best jet dynamics for strengthening to our south and the storm beginning occlusion.

So I guess we'll see....I would want to see some more model runs before I get really excited about snow..more often than not you're going to want heavy precip to get it this time of year too.

thats a common sense approach - agree 100% but this is really getting bizarre and down right dangerous - thought the GFS was wrong BUT now the ECMWF is jumping on board so you have to consider it a possibility -- snow - some unleaved trees - winds = complete disaster in this type of situation we are in right now............

thats a common sense approach - agree 100% but this is really getting bizarre and down right dangerous - thought the GFS was wrong BUT now the ECMWF is jumping on board so you have to consider it a possibility -- snow - some unleaved trees - winds = complete disaster in this type of situation we are in right now............

I don't know, man. An inch of snow isn't going to bring down all the area trees. In the interior where there could be some more snow, the trees have no more leaves.

I think the storm coming close to the coast and bringing severe winds to the shore would be much more "dangerous".

Very surprised to see them issue this.

NEW CASTLE-KENT-INLAND SUSSEX-DELAWARE BEACHES-CECIL-KENT MD-

QUEEN ANNES-TALBOT-CAROLINE-MORRIS-HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-MIDDLESEX-

WESTERN MONMOUTH-EASTERN MONMOUTH-MERCER-SALEM-GLOUCESTER-CAMDEN-

NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON-OCEAN-CUMBERLAND-ATLANTIC-CAPE MAY-

ATLANTIC COASTAL CAPE MAY-COASTAL ATLANTIC-COASTAL OCEAN-

SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON-CHESTER-MONTGOMERY-BUCKS-DELAWARE-

PHILADELPHIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...DOVER...GEORGETOWN...

REHOBOTH BEACH...ELKTON...CHESTERTOWN...CENTREVILLE...EASTON...

DENTON...MORRISTOWN...FLEMINGTON...SOMERVILLE...NEW BRUNSWICK...

FREEHOLD...SANDY HOOK...TRENTON...PENNSVILLE...GLASSBORO...

CAMDEN...CHERRY HILL...MOORESTOWN...MOUNT HOLLY...JACKSON...

MILLVILLE...HAMMONTON...CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE...OCEAN CITY...

ATLANTIC CITY...LONG BEACH ISLAND...WHARTON STATE FOREST...

WEST CHESTER...NORRISTOWN...DOYLESTOWN...MEDIA...PHILADELPHIA

320 PM EST MON NOV 5 2012

...HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH

THURSDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A HIGH

WIND WATCH, WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH

THURSDAY MORNING.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST TO NORTH AT 20 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS OF 50 TO

60 MPH. SOME WIND GUSTS COULD EASILY REACH 65 MPH, MAINLY ALONG

THE COASTAL AREAS.

* THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION, ESPECIALLY FOR THE

AREAS THAT WERE HARDEST HIT BY LAST WEEKS STORM.

* TIMING...THE STRONGEST WINDS SHOULD OCCUR FROM ABOUT NOON WEDNESDAY

THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING, WITH THE HIGHEST WINDS OCCURRING

CLOSER TO THE COAST.

* IMPACTS...STRUCTURES AND TREES WEAKENED BY LAST WEEKS STORM MAY

BE FURTHER DAMAGED BY ANOTHER ROUND OF HIGH WINDS. THIS CAN

ALSO RESULT IN RENEWED POWER OUTAGES, PARTICULARLY IN AREAS

WHERE THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM REMAINS IN A WEAKENED STATE. DEBRIS

FROM LAST WEEKS STORM COULD BECOME A HAZARD DURING THIS NEW

STORM, ESPECIALLY IF IT IS LIGHT ENOUGH TO BECOME AIRBORNE.

The NAM is notorious for failing to throw back enough precip into the cold sector of storms beyond 48 hours so its likely there would be more precipitation further west than that run shows.

H5 evolution is alittle questionable imo. Not much run to run continuity from the nam. GFS and euro are more consistent, with the evolution

The NAM is notorious for failing to throw back enough precip into the cold sector of storms beyond 48 hours so its likely there would be more precipitation further west than that run shows.

What do you think about the winds this time? Would this storm have a harder time mixing the strongest winds down unlike Sandy or do you think we could easily mix them down this time around? Of course this is a typical Noreaster rather than the hybrid freak Sandy was so comparisons are not applicable here but what kind of mixing down do you think is possible?

Archived