• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
My Winter 2012-13 Forecast

Looks like a really reasonable forecast. Well done. This is a tricky year for sure with no one dominant signal showing itself yet. It could end up far in either direction.

I've been following enso and 2006-07 analog for months but 76-77 has started popping up. GaWx has some interesting predictions and analysis irt the PDO and enso. The one thing about 76-77 that seems to have really helped was the pdo flipping from negative to positive. 76 was on an island irt the pdo. It was clearly in the middle of a long term -pdo cycle that dominated pretty much the entire decade.

Not implying record cold in any way shape or form. Just that the potential exists for solid cold winter across much of the country with a focus from the northern plains to the east coast. Could go either way though. I like what I see starting to develop so far this fall.

Great read Allan...I've been following the AO and came up with these top ten lowest October AO analogs...-1.000 or lower...2012 could end up the lowest on record...I don't have the monthly value yet...

Strongest -AO Octobers...

2009...cold winter...stronger -AO in January...

2002...cold winter...weaker -AO in January...

1979...mild winter...stronger -AO in January...

1960...cold winter...stronger -AO in January...

1981...cold winter...weaker -AO in January...

1966...mild winter...weaker -AO in January...

2006...mild winter...positive AO in January...

1974...mild winter...positive AO in January...

1968...cold winter...stronger -AO in January...

Allan, nice stats about the October and November AO. That and the snow cover make me lean towards a negative AO though I haven't proven that my guesses about the Ao are any good beyond a 2 or 3 weeks.

Thanks everyone.

Wes long time no talk, I hope you are well and enjoying retirement.

I think the reality is that predicting the AO/NAO is part statistical, part possible physical correlation, and a little art lol. I am sure there is a correlation with SSTA placement and intensity but I am not sure if it is a driver or just a feedback mechanism. I think the stratospheric/ozone/qbo research linking these with the AO is pretty encouraging and has merit, but I am not sure how useful a predictor tool it is and at what time range it can be used effectively.

Archived