BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
The Sandy Check In Thread

Rib

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything is good here. I think the fact that my block lost 9 trees back in the 2010 thunderstorm is one of the primary reason I haven't lost power for Sandy and Irene. We had two times were we lost power for a few seconds due to power surges, but thankfully nothing worse.

Checking in from Mystic Island.. Town is in bad shape ..lots of damage from flooding .. Some trees down and a great deal of debris in the road .. No power to most of the town and most land lines are down .. Considering the destruction north and south of us...we were quite fortunate .. Hope everyone is safe !!

Pretty much same as above. No power. Lots of tree damage, but my family and I are fine so thats all that matters. Hard to get around town with so many road blocks and closures. My parents live just before the Seaside bridge on the mainland side in Toms River. Glad they evacuated because I hear the water got up pretty high there. I cant even get to their neighborhood to inspect due to the staging area for emergency vehicles going across the bridge. Can't believe some of the images I've seen today from the barrier islands. Take care.

Bad enough here at home in Saylorsburg, PA. Been out of power since Monday afternoon, before it even got bad. On our property, not many trees down. There are several down across roads and took utility lines down with them. Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA is shut down for the rest of the week due to power outages, lines down, and trees down. Generator is making life easy here at home.

Hey guys, I wanted to check in and say I made it. Without a doubt, the craziest wind I've ever been in although that's not saying much. Around 2 PM is when things went from stormy to "okay this is legit" and then around 7 PM things went to "wow this crazy." Wind gusts likely exceeded 70 MPH in the longer duration gusts with a sustained wind between 40-50 MPH at its worst. By 10 PM everyone was getting worn out and hoping the wind would stop soon, which it ultimately did by midnight. All evening and night, transformers/wires were going, lighting up the sky, and trees were coming down, including one in front of the house. Several are without power in C NJ, as you all know.

But nothing comes close to the magnitude the shore is facing and the secondary effects post-storm are equally as devastating. It's a bonafide disaster here.

Well, while we never lost power for more than 30 seconds, unfortunately my wife's grandmother was in a head on collision when the storm first started Sunday night (she shouldn't have been out and got disoriented). She is currently in the hospital on a ventilator and has been up and down over the past few days. Hoping for the best. Just goes to show why people should not venture out during bad weather, especially the elderly. Thank heaven the other driver was not injured.

Well, while we never lost power for more than 30 seconds, unfortunately my wife's grandmother was in a head on collision when the storm first started Sunday night (she shouldn't have been out and got disoriented). She is currently in the hospital on a ventilator and has been up and down over the past few days. Hoping for the best. Just goes to show why people should not venture out during bad weather, especially the elderly. Thank heaven the other driver was not injured.

Wow, so sorry to hear this. My thoughts/prayers are with your family. :(

family fine

House has roof damage...property mess

Belmar house on Shark River survived while most others did not

office running on monster Kohler. its serving as a base camp for friends and workers etc etc

Way too many friends lost homes, cars and or everything.

Now that my family is setup at in-laws house I am spending my time working on personal homes, keeping the business running, helping my staff who are in Monmouth/Ocean get what they need. Gas is tough....but manageable....just keep the generator use to a minimum unless you have NG.

The devastation is simply horrific along the coastline....

The infrastructure hit is huge. Crews are doing a great job to get gas stations powered and emergency resources. Store owners have been terrific....cash is king....they are selling everything they have....no price markups etc....the community seems to be working together.

No water

No Power

Sewers in many areas back up...not processing

Cell service is 3G at best.....data slow....loads of cut off...cross talk..even txt dont go through at times

landlines out

cable out

amazed our fiber is hot and solid...but that is what we paid for...DR plans etc.

Thats all from me...maybe more tonight. I did not sleep much for a few days....last night crashed at 9 and have been running since dawn....

Hope others are safe...Big Jim I saw you are in the area....your pics and comments tell the story....the fly over videos are incredible to watch not sure if they have been linked to here???

hang in there east coast!!

As SP and HM said, it's terrible in CNJ still today. I've left to go back to SE PA, but everyone I know in Monmouth County is still without power. No power, water, and for most kids schools are closed all week, which is unheard of. The shoreline devastation, as Christie said, is unthinkable. Certainly the worst disaster NJ has seen w/ the infrastructure at the level that it's at.

In Colts Neck we hit 65-70mph for gusts between 8-10pm with sustained in the 40s. Incredible. Wind died off quickly after midnight with gusts down to the 30s/40s.

Truly a once in a lifetime storm, something which we'll be recovering from for months if not years. Power probably won't be fully restored for weeks in some areas.

On my drive back to PA, seems like there was a clear line in impact around central Burlington County -- folks from about Browns Mills/McGuire area north and east hit hard, and those SW toward Camden and PHL, not bad in comparison.

Traffic lights out everywhere which makes travel even trickier.

As SP and HM said, it's terrible in CNJ still today. I've left to go back to SE PA, but everyone I know in Monmouth County is still without power. No power, water, and for most kids schools are closed all week, which is unheard of. The shoreline devastation, as Christie said, is unthinkable. Certainly the worst disaster NJ has seen w/ the infrastructure at the level that it's at.

In Colts Neck we hit 65-70mph for gusts between 8-10pm with sustained in the 40s. Incredible. Wind died off quickly after midnight with gusts down to the 30s/40s.

Truly a once in a lifetime storm, something which we'll be recovering from for months if not years. Power probably won't be fully restored for weeks in some areas.

On my drive back to PA, seems like there was a clear line in impact around central Burlington County -- folks from about Browns Mills/McGuire area north and east hit hard, and those SW toward Camden and PHL, not bad in comparison.

Traffic lights out everywhere which makes travel even trickier.

Agree with your delineation between moderate and severe impacts...interior SW Jersey away from the bay seemed to do ok...my guess is a combo of inverted trough keeping the sustained 40mph before the inner core contained to gusts...then being in the remnant eye...worst winds here that knocked out the most power seemed to be after that remnant eye feature passed over us.

Archived