• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
East Coast Threat/Sandy - Banter Thread

Mr. Windcredible!

I have noticed on Twitter that WBZ is saying worst of Sandy South Coast points south....really??? C'mon guys...A historical storm like Sandy and your making this call..hmmmm...gotta disagree with WBZ. The writing is on the wall..They must be following the guidance of accuweather...

I think so, although impacts even here will be practically close. Don't forget high tide will be worse there.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have noticed on Twitter that WBZ is saying worst of Sandy South Coast points south....really??? C'mon guys...A historical storm like Sandy and your making this call..hmmmm...gotta disagree with WBZ. The writing is on the wall..They must be following the guidance of accuweather...

That's the truth, strongest winds and highest surge. It seems like you're wishcasting now.

should have posted this here but posted in the main sandy thread but wtf are these people thinking!!!

An interesting Press release about a Carnival Cruise that was supposed to depart NYC on Monday, which was posted on another weather board:

CARNIVAL MIRACLE

OCTOBER 29, 2012

October 27, 2012

We know you must be looking forward to your cruise on Monday and are anxiously awaiting news regarding the impact of Hurricane Sandy.

We've been closely monitoring the storm and keeping in contact with port officials in New York. They have informed us that the port is expected to be closed on Monday. In an effort to continue with your cruise and keep safely away from the storm, we will now depart on Sunday, October 28.

Check-in for your cruise will take place from 2:00PM to 5:00PM, and sailing is set for 6:00 PM from Pier 90.

In addition, our supplies (food, beverages, etc…) were planned to be delivered on Monday, per our original schedule. Unfortunately, we were unable to make arrangements to bring them in early on Sunday. This means, in order for us to get the provisions needed by the first port, we will need to modify our itinerary. No worries, we definitely have enough supplies to last us till then.

Below is the revised itinerary:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

SUN New York, NY 6:00 PM

MON Fun Day @ Sea

TUE Fun Day @ Sea

WED Port Canaveral, FL 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

THU Nassau, The Bahamas 11:00 AM 8:00 PM

FRI Fun Day @ Sea

SAT Grand Turk 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

SUN Fun Day @ Sea

Mon Fun Day @ Sea

Tue New York, NY 8:00 AM

I don't think I'd want to be on that cruise!

Wow. I guess they have to get her our of port regardless but that is going to be a savage ride. There's no place they can go now. I cannot imagine where they will go and avoid 30-50' seas.

Btw mods....on mobile devices you cannot tell which thread is banter and which is serious discussion. Subtitles don't show. Banter prob should be in the title itself. Be a lot of people on mobile devices for days.

Yeah, forgot about that. We'll update. There will be a strictly observations thread as well.

Ughh. Knew it should have been more like -250.... How long were you out last year? 8 days for me.

-edit will say that given the widespread nature of this one, even with a lot less damage it could take longer to get power back with crews spread thin.

Just about 68 hrs. Isolated outage of 1 street in my hood.

Wanna have a wind gust contest for posters houses? (MPH)

I'll start

Litchfield Libations - 80

CT Blizz - 75

Messenger - 80

Tropopause Fold - 85

Sultan - 65

ChrisM - 65

CT Rain - 60

Happy Valley- 50

ETauntonMA - 70

Coastal Wx - 75

my anemometer went south in Irene but I would say 60 for me max.

We may never know the gusts obtained from PWS. I anticipate at the height most if all will be without power.

Chatham Light 80mph

Blue Hill Obs..110mph

Bouy 44025 100mph - last hour already gusted to 37kts with the storm 500 miles SSE.

IMO Wind will be Major but the stories taking the headlines will be NYC transit, massive coastal flooding and complete blackout for millions.

i wonder if sandy has any tricks left in her bag

i don't see any way in hell she's getting north of sandy hook, nj really

perhaps she can still veer out east of 70w significantly to like 68 west then do the left hook, and make a closer pass south of block island (which maybe the worst case scenario she could still feasibly pull out) which would give her bascially the same landfall but just a wider arc

i wonder if sandy has any tricks left in her bag

i don't see any way in hell she's getting north of sandy hook, nj really

perhaps she can still veer out east of 70w significantly to like 68 west then do the left hook, and make a closer pass south of block island (which maybe the worst case scenario she could still feasibly pull out) which would give her bascially the same landfall but just a wider arc

. The hurricane hunter planes will tell the story of its movement, interesting to track.

Using IPad or IPhone or BB so my grammar may suck.

Archived