Newest Member
    Monty
East Coast Threat/Sandy - Banter Thread

Mr. Windcredible!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm mode to save the server.

To this I feel like this also segregates the forum. I see the usefullness and logic but if that the case allow only "redtags" post in that appointed thread. One for graphics, one scientific and an idiot thread. Then move comments discussion to Mods choice.

As for the track and intensity WTFK's Even the best-of-the-best not dare go out and commit with such dynamics congealing.

Figured, thanks and thanks TT.

Also makes herd mentality more difficult with posters looking for the most-populated threads.

GFS showing a wiper right so far through 66...

Any thoughts on what looks like displaced centers?

The only answer I can think of is Sandy's penchant to stay tropical and the models depiction of transition. What a monster - nothing off the table. As modeled 0Z would be the worst possible scenerio for all of New England. Easily hurricane force miles inland. Mr Wood I think will marry the GFS first thing in the morning.

On a personal note the last three days have felt like Christmas Morning. I would not be a weenie wanting the most catastrophic outcome. Then the realist kicks in and realize the upheaval of daily life. Concerned, scared and complete awestruck.

My biggest fear now is that airlines, in order not to get planes stuck, will cancel flights well ahead of the storm. I'm taking a non stop from PHX-BOS Sunday morning. No way to leave earlier with committments at this meeting but I may have found a novel way to miss another storm...lol...

My biggest fear now is that airlines, in order not to get planes stuck, will cancel flights well ahead of the storm. I'm taking a non stop from PHX-BOS Sunday morning. No way to leave earlier with committments at this meeting but I may have found a novel way to miss another storm...lol...

You'll get home fine.

You'll get home fine.

Good. Unfortunately I've been kiboshed for nothing before. Airlines don't like to take the chance they will have planes waylaid with an inability to use them on the rest of the route. Probably Sunday is ok though. GFS now out through 21. Hard to argue against the fairly rock steady Euro in this case. It's been saying more or less the same thing for days. We'll see.

Stranger than fiction?

Weird

http://www.weca.org/SET/

post-77-0-36866200-1351275020_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-26586700-1351275016_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-51617700-1351275008_thumb.jpg

http://www.weca.org/SET/report/node6.html#SECTION00060000000000000000

HURRICANE SANDY

Welcome to the 1997 American Radio Relay League Simulated Emergency Test (SET) in Westchester County, NY

Hurricane Sandy is a fictitious hurricane based on a real one: the Hurricane of 1938. The following National Weather Service advisories and storm tracks are based on data from that storm and are being used as stimuli for an Amateur Radio emergency communications drill. They were produced at a training seminar at the National Hurricane Center in Miami, FL.

I would think you are good for that flight because they could still get out of Bos Sunday night. I am scheduled to fly BOS to LaGuardia Monday. Booked the train as back up.

Fat squirrels around here...

I was supposed to fly to Pensacola, FL Sunday afternoon and return Monday evening. I've bagged it with plans to do the meeting remotely. Now I may not be able to get to my own office if they shut the MTA down. Well, I suppose I could walk 55 blocks in the storm or cab it.

3 natural disasters in 14 months for some...wow.

It's incredible.

Furthermore, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to relay the warnings about this storm to family who are in NYC. They look to me for advice as I have a BS in atmos sci from Albany, but it's hard to relay the complexities about this to them without overwhelming the average lay person.

There's always that caveat that 4 days out is a long time and things can quickly change and it may not verify, however still instilling that sense of concern so they are prepared is difficult.

I'm very concerned about storm surge based on the last several runs especially for LI/NYC.

Just *CRAZY* if this verifies.

You'll be fine. The airlines are going to take a huge loss on this storm. They will probably stop bringing inbounds to airports sometime late afternoon/evening if the forecast verifies. The disruption to the airlines is going to be tremendous and will probably take some time, at least a week to recover. Delta's hubs at JFK, LGA Unoted's hubs at EWR, IAD USAirs hubs at PHL, DCA and Southwest's hub at BWI could be screwed up big time because of this. That's not even including places like BDL,PVS,BOS and other northeast airports. Crazy.

Just got back from walmart.. Only a few people stocking up on water. Toaster ovens and hair driers were sold out.

They also are now selling buckets of emergency food

Interesting... I've never seen those before. Curious as to what's in them... the only thing I can remotely make out on the front is what appears to be rice.

Archived