• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
East Coast Threat/Sandy - Banter Thread

Mr. Windcredible!

LOL at the 2' of snow for Piedmont of NC. You may not have to go chasing if the ever-so-accurate DGEX verifies.

I'm at college in Greenville SC at the moment (in the downsloping snow hole on the map). I'd just have to drive home... To give you an idea of how ridiculous that is, it'd set our single-storm record snowfall before the first frost.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS Charleston (WV) not biting too hard yet.

OH WHAT AN INTERESTING FORECAST FOR EARLY NEXT WEEK...MORE SO

FURTHER NORTH THAN HERE. LOTS OF VARIATION IN THE MODELS AS TO WHERE

SANDY WILL END UP...ALTHOUGH THE ENSEMBLES ARE STARTING TO CONVERGE

ON A SOLUTION. USED THE GEFS MEAN TO KEEP A MIDDLE OF THE ROAD

SOLUTION. THIS WOULD KEEP MOST OF THE PRECIPITATION NORTH OF OUR

FORECAST AREA...WITH UPSLOPE NOT QUITE COLD ENOUGH TO ASSIST MUCH.

"Frankenstorm" lol. Perfect Halloween name. Kevin must have come up with that one.

"WASHINGTON (AP) — Government forecasters say a big storm that they're calling "Frankenstorm" is likely to blast most of the U.S. East Coast next week.

The storm is an unusual mix of a hurricane and a winter storm. The worst of it could be focused around New York City and New Jersey."

http://news.yahoo.com/hybrid-sandy-winter-storm-threatens-east-coast-064040714.html

lolz at The meltdown. BTW, why do you think Bob is trying to "get rid of you"?

...and lol at Randy back in business as and Admin again.

Oh, and to keep this Sandy related, I am praying for minimal deaths from this.

Thank you.

Beats the hell out of me. I don't want him gone, nor do the rest of the Staff. We just want him to dial down the hype and provide more analytical content/information. It's frustrating. That's why his posts have been getting removed constantly and it hasn't been just me alone removing them.

For any other mods absolutely. Not for someone who has made it their mission to get rid of me, which I might add will never happen

Thanks. Bob isn't trying to get rid of you btw. I think he honestly wants to keep your subforum clutter free and on topic as possible. It;s really not personal toward you dude.

lolz at The meltdown. BTW, why do you think Bob is trying to "get rid of you"?

...and lol at Randy back in business as and Admin again.

Oh, and to keep this Sandy related, I am praying for minimal deaths from this.

Thank you.

I should delete this post just for lolz.

Just posted in the analysis thread:

eta.totsnow192.gif

60"+ over the mountains of WV. Yes its the DGEX...yes its far out...but the signal is there for historic snowfall. This is not just the average run of the mill winter storm. If things play out right we could be talking 3'+ of snow with high winds and prolonged blizzard conditions all fed by the remnants of a hurricane. These kind of conditions are not a regular occurrence in the eastern US outside of Mount Washington. Still a ways to go to make it happen...but if it does...it could be epic.

Yeah I'm really pulling for a south track to dump feet of snow on NW winds in the central Apps.

If it's anything like upslope up here, the model QPF will actually be too low if they get moisture feeding into the mountains on hurricane force H85 winds on a NW upslope flow.

Yeah I'm really pulling for a south track to dump feet of snow on NW winds in the central Apps.

If it's anything like upslope up here, the model QPF will actually be too low if they get moisture feeding into the mountains on hurricane force H85 winds on a NW upslope flow.

The fact that we can discuss over 80" of snow as being underdone is completely ridiculous.

Beats the hell out of me. I don't want him gone, nor do the rest of the Staff. We just want him to dial down the hype and provide more analytical content/information. It's frustrating. That's why his posts have been getting removed constantly and it hasn't been just me alone removing them.

If a newbie came in and started posting a lot of that stuff he'd be 5ppd or weenie tagged. Good to see there's no double standard.

That map is unreal, even for mid-winter standards.

Take your snowstorms. I'll see more blizzards.

But how many will you see be because of a tropical cyclone?

I'm sure we'll see windy rainstorms again too. I'm always extra skeptical of seeing sustained tropical storm winds outside of the coast in the northeast. But heck coastal SNE can gust to 80mph+ during strong winter storms.

But how many will you see be because of a tropical cyclone?

I'm sure we'll see windy rainstorms again too. I'm always extra skeptical of seeing sustained tropical storm winds outside of the coast in the northeast. But heck coastal SNE can gust to 80mph+ during strong winter storms.

We could have gusts well over that with this though...I think. Or no?

My local NWS office in Springfield, Missouri posted this on their facebook:

We will be releasing additional weather balloons during the next several days to help track Hurricane Sandy and the evolution of this potentially dangerous storm affecting the East Coast. Starting today, our office will release four weather balloons per day instead of two. The extra balloons will help computer models develop a consensus on the eventual track and fine tune the forecast of the hurricane that may strike the northeastern United States. We are currently releases balloons each day at 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. The additional balloons will be released daily at 12 p.m. and 12 a.m. through at least Tuesday.

I hope this banter discussion thread can also be used as a way to get out information if this storm does hit as modeled. If it does many of our friends will be negatively affected whether its surge, fresh water flooding damage to homes by fallen trees etc. Hopefully the community can come together and be one, and help one another with solid forecasting and information.

I hope everyone is planning accordingly, and taking steps whether they are evacuated or left without power for many days during a colder time in the wake of Sandy.

I hope this banter discussion thread can also be used as a way to get out information if this storm does hit as modeled. If it does many of our friends will be negatively affected whether its surge, fresh water flooding damage to homes by fallen trees etc. Hopefully the community can come together and be one, and help one another with solid forecasting and information.

I hope everyone is planning accordingly, and taking steps whether they are evacuated or left without power for many days during a colder time in the wake of Sandy.

I hope there are enough guitars and stacks of firewood to go around.

Archived