• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
East Coast Threat/Sandy - Banter Thread

Mr. Windcredible!

Supermarket was a total zoo tonight, huge lines, people slightly panicked. I guess the pandemonium just started a little late.

I have to go into the hospital tomorrow for a full shift, and I expect it'll be a really long day. I'm currently on surgery and I wouldn't be surprised if most of the elective surgeries are postponed tomorrow. Maybe I'll go hang by the trauma bay to see what comes in. Might be a busy and interesting day.

I saw from a friend on facebook that google set up a crisis map for the storm... http://google.org/crisismap/sandy-2012 looks interesting.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was pretty good from the Mount Washington Observatory... lol at anyone thinking about hiking:

www.mountwashington.org

Should I go hiking the Monday or Tuesday? That is a question we have been asked and you might be asking yourself. So here is my long and short response.

The long response is this: A storm is coming up the eastern seaboard. Now, you may have heard it called Hurricane Sandy, a post-tropical low, a Nor'easter, Frankenstorm, the Perfect Storm -Part Deux, or one of many other names. Regardless of what you want to call it, the bottom line is a strong storm is coming with its impact occurring Monday through Tuesday (and possibly into Wednesday). It will bring heavy rains and high winds across the state and not just the summits. That means lower elevations will see tropical storm gusts (39-73) to possibly hurricane force gusts (73+mph). Since this isn't the first time New Hampshire has experienced a strong storm, we know the effects a strong storm has on the state and the Mountains (think back to Hurricane Irene). It will result in flooding, excessive trail runoff, adverse road and trail conditions, flying debris, and several fallen trees around the White Mountains and the rest of New England.

How does this translate to you hiking? Trails will be a mess. Roads will be a mess. Conditions will be dangerous. Calling 911 may be difficult if an emergency arises as cell towers may be affected and call centers may be bogged down. If you do get through to emergency services, help will not be as immediate as it would be under normal circumstances. Travel and rescue resources and personnel around the state will be stretched thin in the coming days, with any search and rescue efforts that arise in the backcountry likely being slow going or possibly even delayed until resources become available or safer conditions are met.

So the next few hours should be telling. This is the period when the NE motion needs to start turning NNE or so. If it makes it more East then 70W, it would have interesting developments down the road. NHC never passed 70W.

It already looks like it is heading SE of the next forecast point on the Vis sat loop.

So the next few hours should be telling. This is the period when the NE motion needs to start turning NNE or so. If it makes it more East then 70W, it would have interesting developments down the road. NHC never passed 70W.

It already looks like it is heading SE of the next forecast point on the Vis sat loop.

Yeah I'm not sure if it means a ton though. The 0z NHC position was 35/71 in their earlier forecast. It was actually about 34 70.9. Not moving as fast as they were expecting. Be interesting to see how that plays out later. It does look like it's beginning to come back more northerly to me, and it looks like it will pass 35n west of 70. JMHO

Yeah I'm not sure if it means a ton though. The 0z NHC position was 35/71 in their earlier forecast. It was actually about 34 70.9. Not moving as fast as they were expecting. Be interesting to see how that plays out later. It does look like it's beginning to come back more northerly to me, and it looks like it will pass 35n west of 70. JMHO

clearly this means a track into eastern LI

Central Block Island landfall

I was thinking the western tip! biggrin.png

Seriously looking as if the present movement track is slightly right of official. Very concerning it still appears to have an Easterly component but still within the "cone" of error. Does it matter? If she be getting to 65W would change attitudes me thinks.

Archived