Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
East Coast Threat/Sandy - Banter Thread

Mr. Windcredible!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any weenies considering going snow chasing in the Apps for this? Models have really been hammering the higher elevations. NWS has some HWO out mentioning the potential for accumulating snows. Could be fun for those guys if things work out.

I'm planning on it. Potential for 1-2+ feet and blizzard conditions. Not a snow weenie, but hey it's a big event and there will already be a crap ton of people covering the stuff along the coast.

I'm planning on it. Potential for 1-2+ feet and blizzard conditions. Not a snow weenie, but hey it's a big event and there will already be a crap ton of people covering the stuff along the coast.

considering W PA or WV for some snow.

Figured there'd be someone. Hell, if I had no attachments and didn't expect any significant impact at my place, I'd consider it. How often do you get to see this scenario play out? Heavy snow fed by the remnants of a tropical system. If it turns epic...I expect to see some good pictures!

Yeah I think that's going to be the best part of this storm...couple feet of snow and 70mph winds in those 2-3,000ft elevations of WV and western MD.

The NW cyclonic upslope flow is being under forecast...those areas are going to get a LOT of QPF wrung out by the mountains' orographic lift.

I'd rather chase a tropical storm snowfall (Tip always wonders what that would be like) and wind combo than rain and wind.

Figured there'd be someone. Hell, if I had no attachments and didn't expect any significant impact at my place, I'd consider it. How often do you get to see this scenario play out? Heavy snow fed by the remnants of a tropical system. If it turns epic...I expect to see some good pictures!

If it's anything like Wilma was up in the Greens, expect a general 24-48" in the higher terrain when tropical moisture and cold air mix.

I'm going the wrong direction unfortunately...to the White Mountains. Strange that the snow might be falling 750 miles southwest of there.

For those who are chasing..I would recommend Canaan Valley Resort in WV. It sits at over 3K feet elevation and seems like a prime spot if these western tracks are to be believed. It's a very cool location.

Any weenies considering going snow chasing in the Apps for this? Models have really been hammering the higher elevations. NWS has some HWO out mentioning the potential for accumulating snows. Could be fun for those guys if things work out.

Screw the snow. Chase the cane. You see snow every winter.

Not necessarily, not where he is. And not in those amounts. 2 feet or more of blizzard condition snowfall with that kind of moisture feed? That's 1993 stuff in that part of MD/WV. For those that can go, if that is the forecast and likely to happen, that's the chase to make.

We saw something like it in the so called snowcane of Later February 2010. 48 inches of heavy wet snow here and a max area of 70+ inches in the Catskills.

Not necessarily, not where he is. And not in those amounts. 2 feet or more of blizzard condition snowfall with that kind of moisture feed? That's 1993 stuff in that part of MD/WV. For those that can go, if that is the forecast and likely to happen, that's the chase to make.

If he wants to see two feet of snow plan a trip to one of the many upslope magic days that happen during the year in vermont.

You will never see another cane drive west into the delmarva probably.

What is involved in a snow chase like that? Do you get a hotel and like watch out the window?

There are various wiccan rituals which cannot be described in your English, but suffice it to say that by the time the flake fertility gods have been properly appeased, there's a lot of red life-drip on the ground and more than enough jerky to go around.

Does anybody have any information on when they might close the GSP to southbound traffic? I'm planning on heading down to our place in Pomona tommorrow night after work (Near Stockton College) and then coming back north on Saturday afternoon. The storm surge forecast has at least a 6" surge forecasted for that area by early Saturday morning. My thinking is that at some point the Parkway will become flooded in certain locations. If a Euro track becomes realized I would think all of the barrier islands would need to be evacutated at some point.

If he wants to see two feet of snow plan a trip to one of the many upslope magic days that happen during the year in vermont.

I think you are under estimating this snow potential. Think April Fools Blizzard with 20-40"+ of 32F cement on 60mph winds.

It doesn't even approach NJ until later Sunday and moreso Monday.

Does anybody have any information on when they might close the GSP to southbound traffic? I'm planning on heading down to our place in Pomona tommorrow night after work (Near Stockton College) and then coming back north on Saturday afternoon. The storm surge forecast has at least a 6" surge forecasted for that area by early Saturday morning. My thinking is that at some point the Parkway will become flooded in certain locations. If a Euro track becomes realized I would think all of the barrier islands would need to be evacutated at some point.

It may not even be a cane by that point. It's not like its gonna be Andrew-like destruction. Really no point to chasing 70 mph wind gusts for some downed trees and power lines. If you aren't in the right place at the write time you've really just wasted your time. I'd chase the Blizzicane.

Are anyone else's completely wx related posts getting deleted or is the mod with the vendetta against me just taking usual aim at me?

Some of your so called "weather" posts have been getting removed becasue they are 'hype". This is a science forum, not a hype forum. You want to talk actual model/storm discussion, do it in that thread, otherwise post your hype here in the banter thread. Yes I have deleted some of your posts as well as other Mods. Why you take this personal is beyond me. Change the way you post. It's pretty simple.

Some of your so called "weather" posts have been getting removed becasue they are 'hype". This is a science forum, not a hype forum. You want to talk actual model/storm discussion, do it in that thread, otherwise post your hype here in the banter thread. Yes I have deleted some of your posts as well as other Mods. Why you take this personal is beyond me. Change the way you post. It's pretty simple.

I am never going to do anything you ask me. EVER.

Just posted in the analysis thread:

eta.totsnow192.gif

60"+ over the mountains of WV. Yes its the DGEX...yes its far out...but the signal is there for historic snowfall. This is not just the average run of the mill winter storm. If things play out right we could be talking 3'+ of snow with high winds and prolonged blizzard conditions all fed by the remnants of a hurricane. These kind of conditions are not a regular occurrence in the eastern US outside of Mount Washington. Still a ways to go to make it happen...but if it does...it could be epic.

As someone who averages about 6" a year, chasing the snow is pretty appealing.

LOL at the 2' of snow for Piedmont of NC. You may not have to go chasing if the ever-so-accurate DGEX verifies.

Archived