• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Sandy Obs and Banter thread - fall 2012

mappy

damage here was not as bad as it looked last night. One car is probably totaled and the other just has one window taken out. My car was safely in the garage ;)

No other trees down on our street. I guess the dereco really did the lions share of damage - saved us probably.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok found a local coffee cafe open downtown. Heat, warm, food, electrical outlets and coffee/tea. Kids and mom and dad are happy. Hope for power ad the HS less than a half mile from us has power.

Power outages widespread in Frederick? Or just limited to some of the neighborhoods? Thankfully, never lost power out this way. Perfectly calm right now, no wind.

At around 9 PM or so, WXbug station at Winchester reported a max gust of 52. Seems like it picked up a little bit more in intensity as we approached 10ish. I would say that IMBY the gusts were as bad as any of the major winter post-frontal gales we get, but that is only based on the sound. I found no damage around my house or neighborhood other than one little uprooted long-dead cheery tree and some halloween decorations scattered about. We lost power for about 2 - 3 seconds around 7 PM, and that was it. A little tid-bit: I keep some firewood stacked on the patio during the fall/winter for my firepit. Other winter wind events have scattered the smaller pieces, but not a piece was moved last night. Perhaps that was due to wind direction and not intensity, I don't know. I didn't see any damage on my trip from home to Middletown other than a few small limbs laying beside Rt 11. Lots of bare trees now, but honestly nothing that would be any different with the passage of any strong cold-front. Flooding is an issue around here, though. I've got 5.9" in my rain gage. My gage is a little too close to my house for this kind of wind event, so the accuracy can't be assured. I can say that my sump pump was running every 4 minutes yesterday afternoon and peaked to once a minute last night. This morning it's still running about every 3 minutes. That tends to support the rain measurement when compared with past events.

We never had to use our generator last night. Pretty amazing considering the local utilities track records. I'm impressed.

I posted a picture of the car damage in the pic thread. It was pretty gusty until like midnight last night...then it kind of calmed down so I went to sleep. The front lawn isn't even a lawn...very water logged and spongy. Creek sounds like it's roaring in the woods by our house.

I was saying to my wife last night that the winds and wind gusts weren't as bad here as what we sometimes see during the winter after a strong cold front passage. Really not too bad.

I wouldn't say that it was a bust, but it was certainly less than what I was expecting here. And for that, I'm glad.

I was saying to my wife last night that the winds and wind gusts weren't as bad here as what we sometimes see during the winter after a strong cold front passage. Really not too bad.

I wouldn't say that it was a bust, but it was certainly less than what I was expecting here. And for that, I'm glad.

It definitely wasn't as bad as advertised at least around here. It barely got into the low level of advertised. I'd also wager to say that it was not as bad as advertised everywhere but people who got it much worse would complain so I'll wait till the whole assessment process completes. Of course some of the biggest hypester mets are congratulating themselves today either way.

It definitely wasn't as bad as advertised at least around here. It barely got into the low level of advertised. I'd also wager to say that it was not as bad as advertised everywhere but people who got it much worse would complain so I'll wait till the whole assessment process completes. Of course some of the biggest hypester mets are congratulating themselves today either way.

Big Joe called this in 2009.. check the maps

You don't think the CWG forecast from Sunday was pretty accurate? The first HWW was also pretty good. Maybe the upgrades during the day yesterday weren't necessary, but I think forecasts for gusts up to 65 mph were spot on. And rainfall forecasts were pretty good too. I think where people overhyped for our area was when they tried to predict power outages that would result from the winds.

Here it wasn't as bad as advertised. I think the gfs overdid the 925 mb winds some and they also didn't translate down to the surface that well. For northern NJ and NYC I think it was everything that was advertised as they had a record storm surge which dumped water into the subways and there was at least 1 sea wall that collapsed in NJ where they had to go in and get the people. It'ss always a bust if it isn't as big in someones back yard. That's just the way it is, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Make me glad I'm retired.

You don't think the CWG forecast from Sunday was pretty accurate? The first HWW was also pretty good. Maybe the upgrades during the day yesterday weren't necessary, but I think forecasts for gusts up to 65 mph were spot on. And rainfall forecasts were pretty good too. I think where people overhyped for our area was when they tried to predict power outages that would result from the winds.

I think it was fine--my commentary here is never directed at CWG or course. As far as hype etc goes they're consistently at the bottom of the pile. Perhaps the late bump in winds wasn't needed.. guess people got nervous with the storm strengthening. The forecasts weren't terrible locally other than the power outage aspect. I think people expected it to be worse than it ended up overall. Not completely sure why everything is still closed today.

Yeah, we overhyped this one for sure. Very little in my neighborhood to indicate there even was a big storm other than leaves all over the place and the sound of generators going. No trees down and not even many branches, and I have probably 20+ big trees on my property. As you said, I've seen far worse from standard-issue fall or winter wind storms and summer thunderstorms.

Here it wasn't as bad as advertised. I think the gfs overdid the 925 mb winds some and they also didn't translate down to the surface that well. For northern NJ and NYC I think it was everything that was advertised as they had a record storm surge which dumped water into the subways and there was at least 1 sea wall that collapsed in NJ where they had to go in and get the people. It'ss always a bust if it isn't as big in someones back yard. That's just the way it is, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Make me glad I'm retired.

I don't really think it was a bust as much as perhaps it's getting overbilled. I don't think it was a worst case scenario.. perhaps like a Katrina an "almost worst case scenario". Obviously I'm looking at more than just my backyard. It might be Twitter getting to me.. those guys freak out over everything like it's the end of the world.

Wind speeds will be high enough to justify the wind warnings. The only thing that can be criticized IMo is duration. The winds were still supposed to be bad today and that is what I think prompted the closures by the govt.

Yeah, that's a good point. The news the last two days really hammered the duration aspect over and over. Wasn't today supposed to be bad too? It is calm out there right now. This storm never really stalled like it was modeled to do, I guess.

I think it was fine--my commentary here is never directed at CWG or course. As far as hype etc goes they're consistently at the bottom of the pile. Perhaps the late bump in winds wasn't needed.. guess people got nervous with the storm strengthening. The forecasts weren't terrible locally other than the power outage aspect. I think people expected it to be worse than it ended up overall. Not completely sure why everything is still closed today.

I really think it was because people were predicting power outages instead of waiting and seeing what happened. In other words, the anticipation was for Isabel level disruption of the power grid. Each of the 3 airports out gusted Isabel.

Yeah, that's a good point. The news the last two days really hammered the duration aspect over and over. Wasn't today supposed to be bad too? It is calm out there right now. This storm never really stalled like it was modeled to do, I guess.

well it made landfall much sooner than it was supposed to

I dont mind another day off from work, but it wasn't nearly as exciting at my place as I thought it would be.

I really think it was because people were predicting power outages instead of waiting and seeing what happened. In other words, the anticipation was for Isabel level disruption of the power grid. Each of the 3 airports out gusted Isabel.

There still were a lot of outages though I thought there would be more. I don't see the power outage wording as being a problem. I do think the duration was and possibly the lack of leaves and wind direction being from the northwest as that is the prevailing wind direction during the windiest time of year which might give trees an advantage of holding up during a high wind event. Maybe the drought also helped as I got almost 8 inches of rain with 50 to 60 mph gusts for 4 or 5 hrs and never had a tree uprooted. That's pretty amazing. The deepening offshore and gfs overdoing the winds some also led to the calls for hurricane gusts but I don't see how anyone forecasting could have ignored them as they would have been pounded if the winds were underplayed and actually occurred.

The models were pretty good in depicting the drop off in winds after midnight. But then the center was supposed to be moving closer so I think the assumption was that winds would stay up. I wonder if the winds will actually be gusting stronger tomorrow compared to today?

well it made landfall much sooner than it was supposed to

I dont mind another day off from work, but it wasn't nearly as exciting at my place as I thought it would be.

Not really. I think most models had around 0z landfall and it made landfall at 815.

Archived