Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Sandy Obs and Banter thread - fall 2012

mappy

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob, I seriously believe that the summer storms removed a bunch of weak, dead, dying limbs, and that may really be helping us this go around. I know we have had some really strong winds over here for about the past 3 hours or so. KOKV has reported 40 sustained and 53 gusts, and I haven't seen hardly any branches come down on my property. After the summer storms, I spent 9 hours cleaning up the debris, and my neighbor and I piled up enough debris that it was the size of a small house, literally. It took on and off burning for nearly 4 days to get rid of it. I think it has made a difference. Of course, the night isn't over yet either.

Plus most of the trees have less than half their leaves left on them. I personally think that's got more to do with it than anything.

The winds were dependent on convective rains as there was rather lousy lapse rates overhead. I think BUFKIT topped out winds close to 50kts on 06z runs. Still some time to go to top the winds from now through 05z or so. When you have close to 100kts only a few thousand feet up, it usually doesn't take much to mix down.

I have to admit, I am bummed out hearing all these other reports in Frederick of strong wind. I want some.

This is unreal. Crazy thing is that most reliable sites around FDK maxing out at 45 mph gusts. If so, then I want no parts of 60+.

It is blowing like crazy down here. The rain on the back of the house sounds like bb's hitting.

P.J. do you have power up the Pike? We can see the lightned sky to the North which suggests Downtown still has power.

power just flickered twice! Rest of neighborhood is now dark.

Archived