• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Sandy Obs and Banter thread - fall 2012

mappy

Wind gusts have died down quite a bit. Still have the hollowing sustained stuff. While on the phone with my father in law in GA saw a large power flash out the front of the house ti my NW

Wind almost seemed calm here for some time but it really picked up in the last 5 min or so. The MDDOT station by us just recorded a 45 mph gust.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tbh- I figured the juice would be gone here by 3pm. This is borrowed time in my mind. Maybe it's finally the point where our expectations are reversed irt losing power? I've felt like if I rip too big of a fart my lights will go out the last couple of years.

Right. And this is my thinking on maybe things aren't terrible. I was expecting 1000s of individual feeders broken by this point and all night to ruin the grid. Figure no work until late Wednsday and ten days to fix, and it was a solid two weeks without lights. Now. I'm thinking when it goes, back by the weekend.

Also, sounds like I live in the blues brothers apartment right now with el going by every minute.

What part of Frederick? Winds are still almost dead calm by me.

Ballenger Creek. It was near calm for a good half hour but my house is literally shaking. My Vantage Vue isn't reliable for wind so I use the 340/180 MDDOT statio, about a mile from me. A recent gust was easily 45 here if not higher.

Ballenger Creek. It was near calm for a good half hour but my house is literally shaking. My Vantage Vue isn't reliable for wind so I use the 340/180 MDDOT statio, about a mile from me. A recent gust was easily 45 here if not higher.

I'm only ~3mi away. Strange.

It is blowing like crazy down here. The rain on the back of the house sounds like bb's hitting.

P.J. do you have power up the Pike? We can see the lightned sky to the North which suggests Downtown still has power.

tbh- I figured the juice would be gone here by 3pm. This is borrowed time in my mind. Maybe it's finally the point where our expectations are reversed irt losing power? I've felt like if I rip too big of a fart my lights will go out the last couple of years.

Bob, I seriously believe that the summer storms removed a bunch of weak, dead, dying limbs, and that may really be helping us this go around. I know we have had some really strong winds over here for about the past 3 hours or so. KOKV has reported 40 sustained and 53 gusts, and I haven't seen hardly any branches come down on my property. After the summer storms, I spent 9 hours cleaning up the debris, and my neighbor and I piled up enough debris that it was the size of a small house, literally. It took on and off burning for nearly 4 days to get rid of it. I think it has made a difference. Of course, the night isn't over yet either.

Bob, I seriously believe that the summer storms removed a bunch of weak, dead, dying limbs, and that may really be helping us this go around. I know we have had some really strong winds over here for about the past 3 hours or so. KOKV has reported 40 sustained and 53 gusts, and I haven't seen hardly any branches come down on my property. After the summer storms, I spent 9 hours cleaning up the debris, and my neighbor and I piled up enough debris that it was the size of a small house, literally. It took on and off burning for nearly 4 days to get rid of it. I think it has made a difference. Of course, the night isn't over yet either.

Good point. And I agree the wind has been ripping for 3 hours.

Archived