Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Sandy Obs and Banter thread - fall 2012

mappy

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think it depends on the mentality. some people are old school and think that unless there's a blizzard or tornado, then it's game on. i'm somewhere in between. in hindsight i think we could have had a halfday and been just fine.

The government (at least those that can work from home) is far more productive not having to deal with a commute.

In the banter world: since we're all increasingly shocked that power is still around, does this bode well for faster than expected restoration? I was expecting mass outages by early afternoon. That we've made it this far is somewhat shocking and maybe bodes well for large, rather than catastrophic, damage to the grid.

I've pondered this. Then I remember the derecho. Mass destruction to power within 20-30 mins at each location. So.....if 60-70mph gusts verify between 10pm-2am then I think think we're sufficiently fooked. And the crews won't even be able to touch a line until Wed at the earliest.

The possibility of being spared widespread damage to the grid exists but I would bet against it if I was in Vegas.

I just spent about 45 minutes outside getting sandy'd. I hung out about 150 yards from a tree line, just observing the winds and waiting for some serious gusts. Wasn't too crazy as far as winds go, probably gusts to 40mph or so, but it's just generally very nasty out - wind chill is 36 and my hands could tell.

I took some video, which I haven't reviewed yet, and may post some if it isn't too lame.

Wasn't too much traffic out, saw probably 15 cars total, with 2 of those being loudoun county sherrifs and another 2 being VA state troopers. I'm sure they're in for quite the long night

http://www.intellica...al/Weather.aspx

Enter your zip and scroll down to past observations

They have 2 weeks which should be enough to see what happened when you lost power... should be.

Easily my favorite site for past local obs, by hour. Which is about as close to current as I can find.

Thanks, Randy!

Power out here in Franconia/Huntington.

Ditto what Yeoman posted. I read that the Huntington area was evacuating.

Power outages have jumped to 65,000+ with Dominion.

I've pondered this. Then I remember the derecho. Mass destruction to power within 20-30 mins at each location. So.....if 60-70mph gusts verify between 10pm-2am then I think think we're sufficiently fooked. And the crews won't even be able to touch a line until Wed at the earliest.

The possibility of being spared widespread damage to the grid exists but I would bet against it if I was in Vegas.

By point of reference, my power went out at least 15 minutes before the derecho hit me, and I had power back about 28 hours later. All the damage was in the distribution grid and was fixed fairly fast. Compare that to an ice storm a couple years ago, where there were lots of transformer blows around me and I was out for a week.

By point of reference, my power went out at least 15 minutes before the derecho hit me, and I had power back about 28 hours later. All the damage was in the distribution grid and was fixed fairly fast. Compare that to an ice storm a couple years ago, where there were lots of transformer blows around me and I was out for a week.

tbh- I figured the juice would be gone here by 3pm. This is borrowed time in my mind. Maybe it's finally the point where our expectations are reversed irt losing power? I've felt like if I rip too big of a fart my lights will go out the last couple of years.

Archived