Sandy Obs and Banter thread - fall 2012

mappy

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far this is the highest gust I can find on land in LWX CWA

...MONTGOMERY COUNTY...

1 SSE COLESVILLE 70 437 PM 10/29 TRAINED SPOTTER

Hmmm...I wonder if that's me. I didn't give them a gust number but I reported my tree down to LWX around 4:40ish. And I'm in Colesville.

Ok finding out that friends all around my area in Frederick Co have power. And even one down in Montgomery. Have no idea why the Ballanger area is in the dark.

My power flickered once during the 30-40 mins of decent wind, but other than that....no other flickers.

Still rather underwhelmed by this event - there was certainly no reason to cancel govt, Metro, etc for at least the daylight hours.

i'm not underwhelmed but do agree that govt didn't need to be canceled today. i thought that was a little weak. not that i'm complaining.

In the banter world: since we're all increasingly shocked that power is still around, does this bode well for faster than expected restoration? I was expecting mass outages by early afternoon. That we've made it this far is somewhat shocking and maybe bodes well for large, rather than catastrophic, damage to the grid.

What's the best site to check current conditions/wind gusts etc?

I've been using weatherunderground...

http://www.intellica...al/Weather.aspx

Enter your zip and scroll down to past observations

They have 2 weeks which should be enough to see what happened when you lost power... should be.

Easily my favorite site for past local obs, update a few times an hour. Which is near current data.

Nobody should be on the road now, which was kind of the point of calling off Gov't/Metro. Yes, they could have sent everybody home at noon, but that can be a mess.

Pressure still falling on the south Jersey coast.

i think it depends on the mentality. some people are old school and think that unless there's a blizzard or tornado, then it's game on. i'm somewhere in between. in hindsight i think we could have had a halfday and been just fine.

Archived