Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Sandy Obs and Banter thread - fall 2012

mappy

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandy has punched down on the gas pedal... if it doesn't find the brakes, the precip is gonna cut off early here.

Two things. First, as Wes and Thunderman said, once this comes ashore, the westward movement is expected to slow and eventually stall. Some of the models show a loop in the track along the MD/PA border. Second, in a discussion by Woody! (I think) the other day, he said that models tend to over-do the duration of tropical systems and he discussed that he thought we might have an earlier cut-off to precip when compared to what the models were depicting.

Not arguing. Just saying.

This is gonna bust wind wise in this area. I'm just not seeing it. Max 50 mph. This 60-70 mph stuff is over blown. The hurricane hunters are having a hard time finding those kinds of winds even on the open ocean. Long Island is going to get it though... 60 mph gusts easy.

I'm gonna have to eat my words now that it's accelerated and a bit further south. The 925mb temp gradient is playing havoc with the lapse rates bringing those 925mb 50 kt winds down.

The "eye" looks like it is moving more WNW instead of NNW.

Seriously, conditions here in Rockville are not bad. Moderate drizzle and some gusts. Trees spend a lot of time standing still

I'm surprised - we are getting slammed with frequent gusts to 45 or 50mph over here in Silver Spring/Colesville.

The "eye" looks like it is moving more WNW instead of NNW.

Seriously, conditions here in Rockville are not bad. Moderate drizzle and some gusts. Trees spend a lot of time standing still

Yeah, breezy and wet in Bethesda, but not exactly newsworthy. Should we still expect TS conditions in this area?

Yeah, breezy and wet in Bethesda, but not exactly newsworthy. Should we still expect TS conditions in this area?

You too?! Are you two in sheltered areas? I've been getting rocked here as of recent. House is creaking quite a bit and a good gust every 1-3 minutes.

You too?! Are you two in sheltered areas? I've been getting rocked here as of recent. House is creaking quite a bit and a good gust every 1-3 minutes.

It's definitely strong enough to turn an umbrella inside out... I guess all I'm asking is whether, with the accelerated track and slight change in LF we're looking at, whether we can still expect conditions to worsen and stay bad all night?

I've noticed that elevation makes a difference in perceived wind strength. Even just going up to my top floor makes things more intense as the winds seem to be hitting the windows a bit harder up there. Also, a lot of the trees around me are pretty young, so they're not catching the gusts higher up as well and not swaying as much. I can see some older, much larger (100+ ft) trees a half mile in the distance, and they're moving around like crazy

It's definitely strong enough to turn an umbrella inside out... I guess all I'm asking is whether, with the accelerated track and slight change in LF we're looking at, whether we can still expect conditions to worsen and stay bad all night?

yeah - not really anything to change i the forecast I don' think. Howling winds here.

Archived