Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
Hurricane Sandy - LIVE - Meteorological Discussion

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like he's using pressures both over land and water for the various wind speeds, which is fine. It may also be including extratropical cyclones though. It would be interesting to see how it compares to tropical systems over water only.

Here's a really great graphic just tweeted out from Patrick Marsh (https://twitter.com/pmarshwx)

"Max Wind Vs. Minimum Pressure for Atlantic Tropical Cyclones from 1851-2011 and how #Sandy compares: http://bit.ly/VGQmCW"

post-28-0-89927800-1351143678_thumb.png

Wow, Santiago got nailed almost perfectly. Pretty hawt. I'm surprised it's only 95 kt-- the IR imagery looks like a major: the eye is clear and it's pretty symmetrically surrounded by cold cloud tops.

What a funny season-- that it would suck so bad and then end with this hawtness.

Tornadotony-- you were right earlier, I was downplaying it too much. It was bombing out.

The 117 kt flight level winds at 700 mb suggest an intensity of between 100 and 105 kt.

Wow, Santiago got nailed almost perfectly. Pretty hawt. I'm surprised it's only 95 kt-- the IR imagery looks like a major: the eye is clear and it's pretty symmetrically surrounded by cold cloud tops.

What a funny season-- that it would suck so bad and then end with this hawtness.

Tornadotony-- you were right earlier, I was downplaying it too much. It was bombing out.

Haha thanks. I understand what it is like trying to get info off of a phone. The symmetry of the storm on satellite was more impressive than Ernesto at the time and I could see that being hard to tell from a small screen.

It is a major Josh.

It's only been mentioned about three or four times already that the 115 MPH header was an error.

WTNT63 KNHC 250539

TCUAT3

HURRICANE SANDY TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182012...CORRECTED

130 AM EDT THU OCT 25 2012

CORRECTED WIND SPEED IN SUMAMRY

...SANDY MAKES LANDFALL JUST WEST OF SANTIAGO DE CUBA...

SUMMARY OF 125 AM EDT...0525 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...20.0N 75.9W

ABOUT 5 MI...8 KM W OF SANTIAGO DE CUBA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110 MPH...175 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 020 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...957 MB...28.26 INCHES

I think they're just getting a lot more restrictive about how they assign intensity these days. That presentation, that pressure, and those recon obs (thanks, jconsor) would have scored an easy Cat-3 designation in the past. Even with Isaac, we saw the NHC really go conservative on intensity and upgrade the system to a 'cane only when they had really, really solid evidence over a continuous period.

This is not a bad thing-- I think the quest for truth and accuracy is awesome. I just wonder if the historic storms-- even the reanalyzed ones-- are estimated too high in comparison with these new, more-stringent classification requirements.

Sorry to go OT. Cool system, hawt landfall.

Only if you promise to stop saying 'hawt'.

A brilliant use of one of your 32 posts in this community. I look forward to more insights of that depth.

One can access Cuba from Canada...;)

One can access Cuba from anywhere. ;) The issue is that it's illegal for Americans-- as per U.S. law-- to spend money there.

P.S. I'm well-versed in the rules, as I've been there-- as a teenager, on an artistic visa.

Thanks, man.

It appears that Sandy's rapid intensification was aided by being in the right entrance region of a strengthening jet streak extending from central Cuba NE to the central Bahamas. Being in the right entrance region enhanced upward motion and diffluence.

CIMSS upper-level winds from 6z Wed

post-88-0-29112000-1351148754_thumb.gif

CIMSS upper-level winds from 18z Wed - note significant strengthening of jet streak

post-88-0-65802000-1351148766_thumb.gif

GFS analysis of 200 mb winds from 18z Wed:

post-88-0-18111700-1351148781_thumb.gif

Yeah, I'm confused. What point is he making, and why is he interrupting a weather discussion about it...?

Maybe he could have replied to the substance of my post-- about estimating cyclone intensity-- instead of nitpicking Re: my writing style.

Anyhoo...

I actually let out a good laugh when I saw his post. Certainly a very interesting use of his first couple posts here.

That being said you can tell cloud tops have warmed a little since meeting Cuba. No real deconstruction or anything. Really can't wait to see her back over land. Feel like my goldfish jumped the bowl and I'm watching her drown on dry land.

I actually let out a good laugh when I saw his post. Certainly a very interesting use of his first couple posts here.

That being said you can tell cloud tops have warmed a little since meeting Cuba. No real deconstruction or anything. Really can't wait to see her back over land. Feel like my goldfish jumped the bowl and I'm watching her drown on dry land.

:lol:

This is the most mountainous part of Cuba, so it's going to take some toll, I would think.

Water?

Weather station in Gran Piedra, Cuba (located at ~2600 feet) reported a gust of 152 mph:

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news/international/Hurricane_Sandy_growing_stronger_as_it_nears_Cuba.html?cid=33807494

http://www.ain.cu/2012/octubre/25ypc-huracan-penetra.htm (Spanish)

Good info on situation in Cuba from a local: https://twitter.com/Yohandry8787

Archived