• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Mid to late October disco/banter thread.

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GGEM always shows a super hybrid at this time of year. Every modelhas it's BS and todays run was classic GGEM BS. I guess it's theoretically possible like Hazel 1953 then again, It's also possible the world ends on Devcember 21st.

Hazel was 1954. I remember it like yesterday. And I'm serious.

What was that site with all the VT winter data?

? Not sure which one you are talking about... BTV has great climate data, and J.Spin's page is epic for snow/skiing data in this area.

J.Spin's page is a great one to wander around...details about every snowfall over the past 6 years, from 0.1" falls to 30-inchers. His lowest snowfall was 127.7" last year and highest was 203.2" in 07-08.

http://jandeproductions.com/weather.html

Lol - that's why I'm not. I saw that Euro solution from (I think it was 12z yesterday, or perhaps 00z the night before) and thought, "nope, not clever - nice try". The the CMC came out, "still not caving".

try and try as it must, I will not be suckered into being a victim of its evil games - ahahaha.

actually, in all seriousness, although exciting (I'm not brain dead to the obvious) I really have no desire to have to endure a CMC aftermath. Let's think of that in discrete probability terms. Having an accelerating Category 2 hurricane would likely do what we all know, pretty much take out the entire infrastructure from BOS-ALB. BUT, then having a powerful cold front wrap in behind with freezing air? - I don't have any ambitions on something like that. No thanks.

Think of this, if serious enough you wouldn't be "on-line" for over week or more; kind of makes the novelty of celebrating an enormous event with a community of kin thinkers futile.

I agree entirely... I always wish for the most destructive or most exciting weather event possible that could transpire without taking with it my power and internet. I still think it must've been hard for some of those weather weenies after last year's October snow when they couldn't discuss what was happening or what just happened online for a week...by then the initial rush of "wow" has already passed.

I'm going to remember that line because its entirely true...if you can't share big events with a community of similar thinkers...it definitely loses a little luster. Its sort of sad, but its true. This weather community makes up a big part of big storms. Its funny because sometimes you think folks would rather experience a big storm from a computer (radar, models, obs, discussion) rather than actually being out in the storm. I'm actually on the fence about what gives me the greatest satisfaction...I love being out in a blizzard, skiing and experiencing it, but I also love watching it on radar, sat presentation, and discussing it on here as it happens.

The best combo is going outside for a bit...then coming in and checking the inter-webs, then heading back out...repeat till storms end.

VT university?

The only UVM site that has good data is the SkiVT-L site which has all the Mansfield Stake graphs:

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/

Either way, I was just looking at the top storms in BTV and am still absolutely astonished at this one fact...

Of the Top 16 snowstorms since 1883 in Burlington, 8 of them have happened since 2000. That's 50% of the top 16 snowstorms at BTV have occurred in the past 12 years...while the other 50% fell in the prior 117 years. That is absolutely ridiculous.

Last 12 years - 8 top 16 snowstorms

Prior 117 years - other 8 top 16 snowstorms

Mind-blowing climate stats.

As the quasi-banter thread I don't mind posting this here...but its absolutely ridiculous how lucky we have been in the past 12 years.

This is BTV's top 16 snowstorms since 1883. 8 of them happened after 2000! Is that just by chance or are we just seeing bigger storms these days?

A lot of it has to do with how snowfall is measured. In the old days, they almost always measured snow depth, sticking a ruler into the ground. This produces lower totals than the modern method of measuring each 6-hours.

Archived